Airfit F10 vs. Quattro FX Nose Irritation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tortoisegirl

Re: Airfit F10 vs. Quattro FX Nose Irritation

Post by tortoisegirl » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:15 pm

I haven't used it too many nights, but I think I have a bit more moisture / less dry mouth with the F10 for whatever reason. If the mask inhibits nasal breathing, so you have to mouth breathe, that can definitely cause dry mouth. Even having the lips open just a bit can do it though. Agreed its something to take seriously as dental problems can cost serious money. I think I mouth breathe most of the night unfortunately, but try to keep the dry mouth under control with the various products. I think the F10 vent is actually noisier than the QFX.

On a whim I tried the F10 again last night. I did Lanolin, tape, and a mask liner (nose area only). But, the big difference was I loosened the bottom straps even more. To the point the mask was literally almost falling off. They were loose to start with. Plus I moved it up as high as I could on my face. And...I had very little nose irritation! This probably wouldn't work for anyone with reasonable pressure (I only use 5) or who sleeps on their side though.

Also on a whim I tried my QFX headgear with the F10. The top strap of the F10 headgear sits so far back on my head it isn't providing any support. I found the QFX headgear did the same thing, so it must be the location/angle of the F10 side arms. So, in case anyone is curious, the headgear is easily interchangeable (you just need to remove the clips).

Although it is an obviously improved design, when it comes down to it, I'm not sure there are any advantages for me for the F10 over the QFX, unless the cushions last longer. I am guessing they will as I haven't had any oil buildup, vs. the QFX cushion obviously needing to be wiped daily, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I don't really find it more comfortable, didn't have a leak problem to fix, etc. Thanks everyone! Best wishes.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Have you tried a soft mask liner that covers the entire cushion? It will help keep the mask from sliding around causing irritation. It may also help with leaks. Also, you said that you loosened the lower straps. For me, I have to tighten the lower straps (to stabilize the mask on my face) and loosen the upper straps (to allow the cushion to expand over my nose bridge).

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Yes, I tried Padacheek and RemZZZs and didn't like them at all. Made the mask feel too tight and it felt like it slipped around more. I cut the top off a RemZZZs liner and taped it on and that seems to work ok. I don't have an issue with leaks and only have irritation on the bridge of my nose, not anywhere else, so I haven't pursued it more. I had already loosened the top straps all the way (literally) before I loosened the bottom straps. I'm shocked the mask stayed on my face that way, but since I was on my back with a low pressure it did fine.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Bandaid across the nose?

kbobtn

Post by kbobtn » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:03 pm

I used the QFX and then switched to the Air (same cushion) and have the F10 ordered. I use the Boomerang gel pads for occasional nose irritation, but had leak issues. I now put the gel pad between the two silicone layers over the nose area INSIDE the cushion and get the padding without the leaks .

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:14 pm

M'ohms-I haven't used a bandaid as I've thought tape would be better (flat and adjustable size). Hopefully I have it worked out now though! Two nights in a row of minimal irritation, by keeping both upper & lower straps very very loose, plus Lanolin & tape & a mask liner in the nose area only (taped to the mask). Still deciding which mask to use long term as neither seems better than the other, especially when you factor in the nose protection required to use the F10. I may end up switching back and forth.

kbobtn-Interesting idea; thanks! Best wishes.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:33 pm

Switching back and forth is exactly what I do! Not only do the masks hit my face in slightly different places (keeping sore places from developing), but I like to have something "different" to look forward to (even if it's not very different). Good luck and keep trying new things!

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:32 pm

kbobtn wrote:I used the QFX and then switched to the Air (same cushion) and have the F10 ordered. I use the Boomerang gel pads for occasional nose irritation, but had leak issues. I now put the gel pad between the two silicone layers over the nose area INSIDE the cushion and get the padding without the leaks .
Hmmm, I never thought to do that Thanks for the tip.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.