The end of methadone and the end of apnea...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ameriken

Re: The end of methadone and the end of apnea...

Post by ameriken » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:30 am

A view from the top.

Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks for sharing that. I love hearing about people getting their lives back. Your story would be a good one to be in the thread at the top of the page for future viewers since the numbers of people posting about methadone is few though I'm thinking the issue is larger than we realize. Hope things just keep getting better for you. Awesome pic!

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:37 am

Thanks k, I'll repost, I hope it helps someone
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks for the update! Glad you are doing so well. I hope you do well on CPAP. I assume it'll be easier to sleep with than the ASV! Someday I hope to try MMJ for my pain. But with a pain management contract, its not currently possible.

I am one of the folks who found your story helpful, as I am on methadone for pain and dealing with apnea & PLMD which started after starting on it. My study didn't find significant centrals, just mild obstructive apnea & severe PLMD. However, it was done while I was on Ambien, which I continued nightly afterward since it helped my insomnia. Upon starting CPAP I had significantly more central than obstructive events, but an overall average AHI of under 5. Now that I've stopped the Ambien the centrals have increased, so its left me questioning whether they are CPAP-induced, or could be opiate-induced (and suppressed by the Ambien during the study). Best wishes.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:38 pm

tortoisegirl wrote:Now that I've stopped the Ambien the centrals have increased, so its left me questioning whether they are CPAP-induced, or could be opiate-induced (and suppressed by the Ambien during the study). Best wishes.
Comment,

Zolpidem (generic Ambien) is suggested as a sleep Rx for those with CSAS only if they don't have underlying risk factors for respiratory depression.

http://www.aasmnet.org/Resources/Practi ... rs/CSA.pdf

"The use of zolpidem and triazolam may be considered for the treatment of primary CSAS only if the patient does not have underlying risk factors for respiratory depression. (OPTION)"

I could not sleep without taking Zolpidem, 5 mg first and if I don't fall asleep, with the CPAP, within 30 minutes I then take 5 mg more and then I sleep soundly for 6:30 to 7 hours with one to two Nocturia bathroom visits.

See my full year treatment Stats results while taking Zolpiden every night:

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png