A Question Regarding BIPAP Machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Phil587

Re: A Question Regarding BIPAP Machines

Post by Phil587 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:If you are paying out of pocket for the new bilevel machine then I would suggest another vote for the PR S1. Save some money.

I have actually owned and used both the S9 VPAP Auto and a PR S1 BiPap Auto long term. Minor pros and cons with either but none are deal breakers or makers.

One thing though...with the PR S1 in auto mode the pressure support is auto adjusting if a person wants it to be.
With the S9 VPAP Auto in auto mode the pressure support is still fixed.
I don't know specifically when auto adjusting PS might be useful but that's probably the only real difference in how they function.
The 760 lets a person set a minimum and a maximum pressure support...and it can be set to a range or set to so they equal each other which would make it fixed like the VPAP. This is independent to any auto adjusting that EPAP and IPAP might do in auto mode.

Also the PR S1 has BiFlex available. Small difference but its there. The S9 VPAP doesn't offer EPR except in cpap mode. Again a minor item. All the differences are very minor.

The S9 VPAP Auto is a great machine but so is the PR S1 BiPap Auto. It really is a toss up.
Thank you very much for your informative post, Pugsy. Your info serves to support that provided by Robysue and reinforces my decision.

Phil

Phil587

Post by Phil587 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Guest wrote:
Phil587 wrote:I am currently using a DME provided Philips 60 Series Pro BIPAP with good results therapy wise but think I can do "better" with an auto machine
Be sure to write down ALL of the settings on this DME loaner so you can duplicate things with the new machine.
An *excellent* idea, guest. Thank you for reminding me to do that.

Phil

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:53 pm

Pesser wrote:I am hoping the little devil with the halo helps me. I think he got his second hand! And he appears to know what he is doing. Thanks in advance! I need to learn about Bipap..........doctors don't anything!!!!!!!!!
*poofs into existence* someone call?

I have a preference for Resmeds, and know a lot more about them... but I'll preface the list with none of these are deal breakers both machines are great. robysue's comparison is typical of the thoroughness and accuracy we've all come to know and love about her, I'll try not to duplicate much

nitpicks that I like about the Resmed s9 (most of these are applicable to the airsense/aircurve also):
  • being able to set the clock.
  • the water tank can't leak from the bottom since it's a solid piece.
  • the water tank bottom isn't filled with nooks and crannies that make it harder to clean (if you're into that sorta thing)
  • I like the more informative display on the s9.
  • easier to open water tank for cleaning, if you're blah blah.
  • bigger filter, so it doesn't have to be changed as often.
  • better filter design, so it can't be popped out with a cough, like the respironics can.
  • quieter (the four s9 units I've had my hands on vs one prs160 auto, which I could hear whining up and down with my bedmates breath.... (if the ac was off) it wasn't loud, just a little annoying, so I swapped it out with a vpap auto.. which I can't hear running at all.
  • less confusing naming scheme. (not much of an issue compared to the dreamstations)
  • skinnable
  • I've seen a lot less people saying "help, my s9 is dying/dead" compared to prs150 people complaining.
  • light in the humidifier
  • comes with a padded travel case, which is an extra 80$ item on the prs1
  • all s9 are ready for a heated hose, some prs1 60s have to have a 75$ adapter added to support that
things I like about the prs1(60) and dreamstation)
  • position of hose outlet on humidifier
  • cheaper battery adapter, if I was into camping.
  • cheaper (if you don't need heated hose, or travel case)
  • less picky about what's on it's sd card. (no longer a plus compared to the new Air10 machines from Resmed)
internally, the s9 machines look, and feel, to me, subjectively, to be engineered ..... a little better. hard to put my finger on... less wires, plugs, stuff...

Last edited by palerider on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:39 am, edited 11 times in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Phil587 wrote: Now that I am becoming dependent on my machine,
you really should avoid that thinking, hopefully it's just poor phrasing on your part.

you're not dependent on the cpap, you're just getting used to actually sleeping, and are forgetting what it was like to lay there gasping and choking and having the stress hormones coursing through your body all night while your brain and body desperately tried to sleep.

so when you go without, and feel like warmed over poo, you think "well, I've become dependent on this damn thing now...."

kind of like someone who's gotten used to having lost a leg, then being given an artificial one, and then having it taken away for a couple days saying "well, I've become dependent on that thing".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:23 pm

what info does the s9 display that is not displayed on the 960?

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Last Oct I wrestled with the same question. I settled on the PR S1 DS960TS. I am still wondering if I made the right choice. There are many small differences that try to tear the decision in half. Pugsy and RobySue provided a mountain of info praising both machines and making the choice difficult.

robysue

Post by robysue » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:41 am

palerider wrote: I have a *slight* preference for resmeds, and know a lot more about them... but I'll preface the list with none of these are deal breakers both machines are great. robysue's comparison is typical of the thoroughness and accuracy we've all come to know and love about her, I'll try not to duplicate much

nitpicks that I like about the resmed:
  • being able to set the clock.
  • the water tank can't* leak from the bottom since it's a solid piece.
  • the water tank bottom isn't filled with nooks and crannies that make it harder to clean (if you're into that sorta thing)
  • I like the more informative display on the s9.
  • easier to open water tank for cleaning, if you're blah blah.
  • bigger filter, so it doesn't have to be changed as often.
  • quieter (the four s9 units I've had my hands on vs one prs160 auto, which I could hear whining up and down with my bedmates breath.... (if the ac was off) it wasn't loud, just a little annoying, so I swapped it out with a vpap auto.. which I can't hear running at all.
  • less confusing naming scheme.
  • skinnable
  • I've seen a lot less people saying "help, my s9 is dying/dead" compared to prs150 people complaining.
  • light in the humidifier
things I like about the prs1(60)
  • position of hose outlet on humidifier
  • 12v usage, if I was into camping.
  • cheaper
internally, the s9 machines look, and feel, to me, subjectively, to be engineered ..... a little better. hard to put my finger on... less wires, plugs, stuff...
[*]less picky about what's on it's sd card.
Balancing out that nitpick list:

Additional things I prefer on the PR System One
  • Does NOT overwrite the high resolution data every 7 days
  • Writes all the detailed data except for the flow rate to the internal memory; hence you get a lot of meaningful data even if you forget to reinsert the card
  • Hose connection is not only on top of the machine----it also swivels, which lessens wear and tear on the hose quit a bit.
  • More flexible bi-level Auto algorithm: My stomach really appreciates the fact that the machine can increase the IPAP in response to flow limitations without increasing the EPAP
All that said, palerider's list of things to like about the S9 is pretty complete----if you get the newer design for the humidity tank that opens. Back when I had an S9, the only humidity tank that was available did NOT open at all. And that was a really stupid design flaw.
[*]I've seen a lot less people saying "help, my s9 is dying/dead" compared to prs150 people complaining.
The PR S1 Series 50 machines were introduced at least one year earlier than the earliest S9s. But having replaced on PR S1 under warranty issues, I do know what you mean.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:19 am

robysue wrote:Balancing out that nitpick list:

Additional things I prefer on the PR System One
  • Does NOT overwrite the high resolution data every 7 days
  • Writes all the detailed data except for the flow rate to the internal memory; hence you get a lot of meaningful data even if you forget to reinsert the card
  • Hose connection is not only on top of the machine----it also swivels, which lessens wear and tear on the hose quit a bit.
  • More flexible bi-level Auto algorithm: My stomach really appreciates the fact that the machine can increase the IPAP in response to flow limitations without increasing the EPAP
All that said, palerider's list of things to like about the S9 is pretty complete----if you get the newer design for the humidity tank that opens. Back when I had an S9, the only humidity tank that was available did NOT open at all. And that was a really stupid design flaw.
[*]I've seen a lot less people saying "help, my s9 is dying/dead" compared to prs150 people complaining.
The PR S1 Series 50 machines were introduced at least one year earlier than the earliest S9s. But having replaced on PR S1 under warranty issues, I do know what you mean.
thank you, all good points.

I did think of another thing, on the s9 the ability to have a heated hose is included, even on the prs160 series, it's optional, the 560 I got, does not have that, I have to buy a humidifier upgrade kit, that comes with a new lid to get the electrical contacts for the hose.

I thought "ohh! 60 series, I could try a .... wait, where are the conta... wait a minute! someone put a 50 series humidifier on this thing... but, no, it's got the extra wires and stuff, just the non heated hose lid. why???

PhilY

Post by PhilY » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:15 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help and opinions. My Respironics PR System One 60 Series BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex has been ordered and is on the way. Hopefully I will have it by Friday and I will put my ideas to the test this weekend.

Again, thanks for your help!

Phil