Left DME without machine :(

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

Re: Left DME without machine :(

Post by Janknitz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Here's a post with a photo of the difference between an Escape Auto and an AutoSet.

viewtopic/t98747/Escape-AutoLets-Clear- ... ml#p916898

NOTE; There's also an Escape which is NOT an Auto. Don't accept anything that says Escape on it.

Escape the Escape!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

jshuler43

Post by jshuler43 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:44 am

You know, I called around and requested a Autoset, that's why I went with this DME, as they said they could supply it. But if it won't take data, it must be an Auto Escape. He figured he could pull a switch, just as he did with my mask.

He is not interested in keeping me as a customer at this point. He told me straight that if I didn't take the mask, I had no other options. He would be sending back my machine.

It's ironic, as I had found another DME who said he would supply the AutoSet, but that they really only dealt with PR Respironics. But they would order whatever I wanted. I didn't go with them, as the DME I ended up with was a Certified dealer of ResMed, or whatever. So I thought they would be more likely to help with any problems I might run into.

I guess, I need to call the PR DME and see if they for sure will be able to get me the Auto Set and then try to switch DME's. My dr has already jumped through hoops for this DME, hate to go through that again. But I will have that machine for years. I'm also concerned with what masks will be available to me when I am due for another. Perhaps they will give me a limited choice. If they won't get me my mask when they sign me up, I don't have hope for the future.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:53 am

jshuler43 wrote:He is not interested in keeping me as a customer at this point. He told me straight that if I didn't take the mask, I had no other options. He would be sending back my machine.
You are right...he isn't interested in keeping you as a customer.

Did you see the model name on the machine he was going to dispense? AutoSet or Escape Auto?
Just because he said it didn't do data...he could have just been blowing smoke because patients are supposed to be too stupid to do the software thing and ResScan tells them not to talk about ResScan to the patients and DMEs don't have any reason to even know about SleepyHead.

Not trying to make excuses for him being a jerk but DMEs sometimes tell people "no data" because they don't think we should even know about the software. I hate being lied to...jerked around...or treated like an idiot...so that alone would make me take my business elsewhere (I fired my first DME for all 3 of those reasons ) even if it involves extra work finding another.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:02 am

As for the mask - tell them you want the Nuance Pro. The Pro has the gel cheek pads - it's what I use (thanks to Pugsy's good advice) and I LOVE my mask.

If you can somehow convey to your supplier that you share their interest in meeting insurance requirements for compliance they should quiet down and be more helpful. It's in their best interest to keep you compliant - otherwise they lose a customer as insurance refuses to pay. The reason you are "demanding" is that you want to have the best chance of using your machine to solve your sleep problems.

Kudos for taking it seriously.

jshuler43

Post by jshuler43 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:26 am

Good tip on the Nuance Pro. I think it is the same as the gel version of the Nuance. Just depends on how they list it. But I see you can buy the bottom part with the gel strips for $30.00. So, that's good to know. Even though at this point, $30 is a hit.

But there was no talking to my tech. I showed him how the Nuance cloth and the Nuance gel were the same price - but he said they didn't carry it, and they wouldn't order it.

I would go ahead and get the machine at this point, if it was an Auto Set. But looking at the picture, i see it's an Auto Escape. If he won't talk to me about the mask, I know bringing up the machine will just send him through the roof. (The clients who came after me, got in a screaming match with him over their mask.)

I just don't trust him now, so Ill just wait on getting my machine until I can get another DME.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:48 am

The Nuance cloth headgear and the Nuance Pro headgear frames are not interchangeable from what I understand.
The nasal pillows themselves are interchangeable though. The nasal pillows for the Nuance all have the gel in them but only the Pro has the gel in the side straps and the connection for the nasal pillows is different and that's why we can't swap out headgear frames between the 2 models.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/nuance ... onics.html

I don't blame you...time to move on to a different DME who will supply you what you want.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 am

jshuler43 wrote:You know, I called around and requested a Autoset, that's why I went with this DME, as they said they could supply it. But if it won't take data, it must be an Auto Escape. He figured he could pull a switch, just as he did with my mask.
the other option is that the person is lying to you about the data, or simply ignorant... just look at what the machine says above the power button... easy to tell

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jshuler43

Post by jshuler43 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 am

I don't think he's ignorant - his company is a Certified ResMed Dealer.

Oh, thanks again Pugsy about the Nuance mask. Don't won't to keep making mistakes. I do love the gel version. I've tried a bunch in sleep studies, and it was the only one that I thought i might actually be happy with, not just tolerate.

jshuler43

Post by jshuler43 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:38 am

Another thought. I asked him about the ResMed AutoSet for Her. He said it's the same machine but different skin and way more expensive for him. Made sense. But I think that shows I was talking about AutoSet if he said it was the same machine but different skin.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:41 am

jshuler43 wrote:I don't think he's ignorant - his company is a Certified ResMed Dealer.
whatever that means... perhaps just "we sell this stuff".

doesn't mean the person you were dealing with is knowledgeable though.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:16 am

jshuler43 wrote:I don't think he's ignorant - his company is a Certified ResMed Dealer.
[CHOKE] [GASP] [SPLUTTER]

Unfortunately, that doesn't really reduce the chance of ignorance that much. Even if ResMed requires someone at the dealer to have some sort of training and take some sort of knowledge test, we don't know if the person you're talking to has had such training.

Lots of people on this board have reported really gross ignorance at a lot of "legitimate" DME's.

Not all of them are ignorant, some of them are.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

jshuler43

Post by jshuler43 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:12 pm

I think my guy is the only tech. I haven't seem anyone else there tbe times I went there.

I'm choosing craftiness over ignorance !
Although either way it's not good!

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Let me offer another possible explanation: When the DME-dude read on my paperwork that I work in R&D for a pharmaceutical company he lost all interest in hooking me up with an S9 Autoset. He only seemed interested in learning what wonderful new applications I was working on regarding the pharmacological properties of cannabis. Even if I was working on something like that, I couldn't tell him, but he was shocked when I said I'd never worked with the stuff and don't know anyone who has. Don't know where he was getting his information. Mebbe "High Times?"

BTW, the confusion between the S9 Escape and the S9 Autoset can be avoided if you look at the ID plate that contains the serial number and model designation. It will clearly state the model without any ambiguity.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:55 pm

Slartybartfast wrote:BTW, the confusion between the S9 Escape and the S9 Autoset can be avoided if you look at the ID plate that contains the serial number and model designation. It will clearly state the model without any ambiguity.
that's true, as far as it goes, except both resmed and PR (I can't speak for the others) call the model number "REF" on their id plates.

seeing 36005 (with optional letters) does make it an autoset.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:04 am

The name is right next to the power button--on top;
But it is securely placed under the clear plastic cover.
If it is a sticker over the REAL name--(never seen that--YET!);
Pretty sure something funny going on!