First night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Daydream Believer

First night

Post by Daydream Believer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:24 am

I survived my first night! Thanks to everyone here for giving advise for getting started. It made my visit to the DMS a lot less intimidating. I'm not sure I like my mask yet, but I'll give it time.

After reading about fitting on here, I was able to avoid the DMS trying to tell me that the nasal pillows are supposed to be shoved forcefully into my nostrils. But I did find that - as a side sleeper - i tend to crush the pillows into my nose. I woke with some stinging on the side I was sleeping on. I'm using the petite size... Maybe I should try a size up. I'd like to try the Bella - it looks so comfortable.

I slept almost six hours. I woke a few times through the night to pull the crushed plugs out some. I woke way too early but I still consider my first night a success all things considered.

My machine had me set up the sleep mapper app on my phone - but it's not updating with last nights info. Is there an expected delay in getting the mask fit/hours/AHI updated? I'm really curious to see what happened overnight.

Thanks again for helping me get a positive start!

SleepyToo2

Re: First night

Post by SleepyToo2 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:46 am

Congratulations on the successful first night! It will take your nose a little while to get used to having the mask there every night. To help it get there, you can get some Lansinoh from the baby-care section of many drug stores. Just use a very small quantity, though, because it will melt and go everywhere if you use a larger amount! Lansinoh is what nursing mothers use to soothe sore nipples when breast-feeding, so is perfectly safe. Anything that contains a petroleum product may cause the pillows to "wear out" faster, so you want to stay away from those.
If your DME was telling you to insert the cones all the way into your nostrils (it's only the tips that belong inside), maybe they also had you pull the straps as tight as you could? That would make your nose hurt!
Sorry, I can't answer your specific question on the data, because I use Sleepyhead software (it's still beta and free, but it works extremely well).

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:15 am

Yep - they did keep trying to get me to tighten the straps. But they had the straps twisted too - I shooed everyone away from my head and fixed it when I got home. I'll try the cream - thanks for that one.

When I woke up this morning it felt almost as if there no really no force to the airflow at all. There was, of course, but I guess I got used to the feeling. It felt very natural. I was surprised by how easy it was to get used to the air pressure. When I got home from the DMS I set the machine up and did two practice runs for about 20 minutes each. I think that helped a lot - when I officially went to bed I knew what to expect and had the headgear adjusted already.

I was diagnosed with ME/CFS a few months ago. When I described my memory problems to my PCP she suggested the sleep study - and apparently I failed cause the cpap was ordered two days later. So I'm really hoping this will give me my life back. I've been trying to live on short-term disability wages for almost three months... Napping 2-3 times a day, living in a tired brain fog that makes it hard to manage day-to-day tasks. For me, cpap could be my ticket back into life. Hope hope hope!

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:48 am

My experience has been much the same as yours. I had a sore nose for maybe a week, then it haw been fine. I wonder if it takes a few days for the nasal pillows to break in. Also, I was convinced my machine was not working when I wake up. I can hardly feel the pressure at all until I stand up to turn it off.
Jim

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:32 am

i found the sleepyhead software - here's my first night:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:50 am

You are using the OptiLife nasal pillows???
I have also used them (briefly)...IMHO there are better more comfortable choices out there.
In the Respironics brand...the Nuance is better (both the headgear and the pillows)
and if the Resmed Bella Loops with the Swift FX nasal pillow mask intrigues you...by all means try it if you can.
The new ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask is also a great mask....check it out. I like it better than the Swift FX nasal pillows and I didn't think they could ever make something to beat that mask.

Word of warning about the Bella Loops and your ears...the adjusting has to be precise with it or either the ears hurt or the pillows fall out of the nostrils.
As much experience as I have had with nasal pillow masks in the past and when the Bella Loops came out it still took me 4 or 5 nights to get the adjustment just right. Final fitting MUST be done laying down in bed with machine on and air flowing because the slight pressure from the weight of the hose affects fitting and what works sitting up doesn't work so great when laying down.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:35 am

i would love to try something without the dang chin strap. i told them i have a lifelong fear of a spider crawling into my mouth (probably something i saw in a movie lol) so i sleep with my mouth closed all night every night. heheh

i am a side sleeper but i change sides as i fall asleep cause it gives my back and hips a rest. so maybe the bella would be a tough fit for me. I've worn glasses most of my life and my ears are pretty tough. i saw one with gel pads at the DMS. i just need to get less strappy if i can manage it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:30 am

I hated, hated, hated the OptiLife chin strap. The headgear itself was a major PITA to get adjusted.

Try something else...you won't be sorry. Some DMEs try to stick with one brand and don't stock a lot of different masks in the other brands. That's why I mentioned the Respironics Nuance...if your DME has the Optilife then they likely have the Nuance. The Optilife is old school...been around a long time....Respironics has newer and better nasal pillow designs in the Nuance and even their GoLife models.

Find out what your DME's mask swapping policy is and make use of it during whatever period of time they allow.
All the mask manufacturers offer 30 days on their masks but DMEs often make their own in house rules and often it is 30 days period.

Call them up and tell them you want to lose the chin strap and "what else in nasal pillows do you have that I can try?".

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:11 pm

I called - they have the nuance pro so I'm going to swap out for that... May wait till tomorrow to get over there. It does look a LOT more comfortable!

Thanks for helping. So much to take in with a sleep deprived brain. Heheh

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:35 pm

I can't guarantee that you will love the Nuance but I am betting you like it a whole lot more than the Optilife.
Gotta try it to find out though. You will find that everyone has their own personal preferences and different little things that are deal makers or deal breakers. We don't all have the same triggers for what suit our needs the best.
I have this "thing" about "less on my head and face" so I tend to gravitate to a mask with the least amount of anything to deal with because it is one of my triggers. I also have a bad neck and often the straps on some masks aggravate my neck and cause headaches so I avoid those masks. Others like the stability that lower straps offer..but for me I would rather deal with a little instability than deal with neck headaches because I get enough of those headaches as it is.

Let me know how it goes with the Nuance. I have always felt that the mask journey was the most difficult part of all this cpap therapy stuff. Get the right mask and the journey is a whole lot easier to make.

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 am

I picked up the new mask this morning. When I did the fitting (ignoring their "shove and tighten advice) it felt SO much better. So soft! It doesn't even hurt on the spots that are sore from the first mask

I'll try it out when i hit nap time in a bit. I did let the DMS know that the other one is a torture device. lol

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:57 am

I knew you would like the Nuance better...now let's just cross our fingers that it works well for your needs.
These DME people who keep shoving things clear up inside our nose and making the straps like vise grips obviously have never used this equipment...and seriously lack any common sense.

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:12 am

What a difference! My nostrils are happy LOL
i had basically zero leaks, no arousal, turned from side to side without having to touch my mask or headgear... got a good nights rest. Now i can focus on the real reason for having cpap.

I seriously can't thank you enough for the encouragement. I share my mom's diabetes and high blood pressure already. She also has severe a-fib and had a pacemaker implanted a few years ago. She was told she had apnea years ago but chose not to use cpap. I hope I can avoid the a-fib - it's really scary stuff. Plus the chronic fatigue diagnosis... that's my short term motivation. Keeping my heart healthy is my long term motivation. And you've made it much easier to imagine a healthier future with just a switch of masks.

Thanks Pugsy!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:23 am

WTG...now replace that Optilife mask choice in your equipment profile with the Nuance
I seriously doubt you will want to return to it.

The Optilife is a decent enough mask and works well for some people. It's just that there are better choices out there.
The Optilife headgear is a bitch and I think not designed well for female or smaller heads. Just too big in general IMHO...at least it was for me. The chin strap thing wasn't meant to ever keep the mouth closed anyway....it was just there to offer mask stability and for me the chin strap was a huge PITA to deal with.
Masks continue to evolve and improve...the Optilife was available 5 years ago when I started therapy and I don't know how long it had bee able before that. The Nuance is much newer....last year maybe was when it was released.

Daydream Believer

Post by Daydream Believer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:42 am

And here's basics from last night: