Considering ResMed S9 AutoSet

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
billbolton

Re: Considering ResMed S9 AutoSet

Post by billbolton » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:14 pm

liv2kite wrote:I don't understand what you mean "I will have reliable mains AC power".
It means that power is reliably available from wall socket outlets. Something that is not always the case in many parts of the world
liv2kite wrote:I should say what about it makes it easier to travel with ?
Smaller overall, better distribution of weight in the bag, more internal room to fit a mask in the bag and the heated hose doesn't need a separate power supply.

Cheers,

Bill

liv2kite

Post by liv2kite » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:33 am

Slinky wrote:The S9's power brick is somewhat larger and heavier than the power brick on the PR S1. The S8 AutoSet II does NOT have a power brick which is a big plus in my book. The S8s and S8 IIs are GREAT travel companions in my experience. Empty the humidifier tank and there's only two pieces to pack, the AutoSet and the H3i or 4i.
Personally, I would never pack the humidifier for traveling (just the main CPAP unit). I can tolerate CPAP for a few days w/o humidity but can't tolerate excess baggage weight/volume/# pieces. Thanks for your reply.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:40 am

Slinky wrote:Empty the humidifier tank and there's only two pieces to pack, the AutoSet and the H3i or 4i.
Unless you have figured out how to have xPAP treatment without a mask, hose and power cable there are 5 pieces to pack with an S8

With an S9, packing the power brick makes it 6 pieces, and the small diameter hose is a LOT easier to pack than a standard hose.

I'm finding its simply NOT a big deal in practice

Cheers,

Bill

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:24 am

Well, since I was using the Respironics Simplicity simple nasal cushion there was plenty of room in the carry bag for it. And no matter what brand or model PAP you use you've gotta pack your mask, cord and hose so I never bothered to count them. On the other hand, w/the Respironics you had the *&%$# platform, PAP, humidifier, two cords (one w/power brick plus hose and mask.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

liv2kite

Post by liv2kite » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:49 am

I wonder why ResMed put the power adaptor "outside" the CPAP unit ? I suppose it allows the power supply to reside on the floor thereby decreasing the size of the unit on the bed table for aesthetic reasons (and they talk a lot about aesthetics for the S9).

Last edited by liv2kite on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

liv2kite

Post by liv2kite » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:24 am

I answered my own original question regarding weight of S9 power brick (and other S9 pieces):

DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT (APPROXIMATE)
• APAP..........................6.0” x 5.5” x 3.4” (153 mm x 140 mm x 86 mm) 1.8 lb (810 g)
• POWER SUPPLY..............6.5 x 2.5 x 1.5 inches............................... 1.25lbs
• APAP with HUMIDIFIER .....6.0” x 11.5” x 3.4” (153 mm x 292 mm x 86 mm) 3.5 lb (1590 g) (probably w/o power supply, so add 1.25 lbs for total wt)

I calculated volumes to evaluate suitcase real estate used:
APAP............Volume = 1.84L
Power Brick....Volume = 0.4L (additional 22% based on APAP size)

This stuff came from a very nice and usable CPAP web site http://www.directhomemedical.com/index.html which I read about on some other posts.

The power supply is Universal Power Supply - Automatic voltage regulator and international power supply for operation on AC currents from 110 to 240 without adjustments (90W). I wonder if there is any way to get a lighter/smaller power supply with similar power specs (especially if travel is restricted to US). Maybe I am focusing on this too much since one is unlikely to save more than half a pound and a few 100 mL of volume.

Last edited by liv2kite on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:26 am

Hey, UncleBob. Do what I did. I bought an extra pair of S8 data cards. When I travel I just use one for 4 days, then put it in its card and use the second one, and if necessary put it in its card and use the 3rd one. Usually I'm home and can do a download before I need to use the 3rd one but just in case .... I have that 3rd card. I think you can only buy them in pairs anyway, but I won't swear on that.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

stillwellgsm

Post by stillwellgsm » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:52 am

I do a lot of international travel on some really long flights so there's no way I'm going without my S9. I use the bag that came with the unit which has plenty of room for all the parts and pieces including the humidifier. It's about the size of a small briefcase or very large laptop. I'd guess no more than 18x18X5. I always use the humdifier as aircraft cabins are arid by default. I've never had any aircraft power issues and I don't find either the size of the unit or the external power supply to be any inconvenience. Had other units in the past but the S9 is the best yet.

thehomelessguy

Post by thehomelessguy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:26 pm

liv2kite wrote:I wonder why ResMed put the power adaptor "outside" the CPAP unit ? I suppose it allows the power supply to reside on the floor thereby decreasing the size of the unit on the bed table for aesthetic reasons (and they talk a lot about aesthetics for the S9).
It makes it a lot easier to service the unit. Power supplies die all the time (power surge, etc.) but in doing so generally save the thing they were hooked up to. It's a lot cheaper to get a new supply rather than a new CPAP. It also helps with heat distribution. Power supplied generate heat (the xbox 360 actually has an external power brick for this reason).

Finally it allows for a variety of power inputs/voltages. While many power supplies can handle 120-240v (I have no idea if the stock S9 one does or not, but things like an apple laptop adapter do), you can get easily swap it out for a different one if you are somewhere where voltages vary.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:01 pm

The power brick is still a step backward in my not at all humble opinion. Its the one feature I hated above all else about the Respironics PAPs and loved about my S8s - no power brick.

Shaw-zzzz

Post by Shaw-zzzz » Wed May 28, 2014 9:09 am

I have used ResMed S9 AutoSet for years. It really works for me. Now my brother is having the same problem and I am thinking about giving him my backup machine. But I am not sure if the pressure setting on mine at 7.0 cm would work for him. My brother is currently in a foreign country and not accessible to the US medical advice and prescription. Can anyone tell me what governs the pressure number, how critical it is and how to adjust it? Thanks!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Wed May 28, 2014 9:58 am

The necessary pressure is one that will keep your airway open during sleep. It's usually determined by a sleep study.

It is POSSIBLE to make informed changes to the settings by monitoring the sleep data, but I'd never recommend that experimentation to a beginner, and especially without a doctor versed in CPAP available.

But if he feels lucky, instructions to get into the settings are widely available.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 28, 2014 10:02 am

Shaw-zzzz wrote:I have used ResMed S9 AutoSet for years. It really works for me. Now my brother is having the same problem and I am thinking about giving him my backup machine. But I am not sure if the pressure setting on mine at 7.0 cm would work for him. My brother is currently in a foreign country and not accessible to the US medical advice and prescription. Can anyone tell me what governs the pressure number, how critical it is and how to adjust it? Thanks!
Here's the provider/clinical manual that explains how to change the pressures.
http://www.apneuvereniging.nl/forum/pdf ... manual.pdf

The minimum pressure in auto adjusting mode is indeed very critical.
What governs the pressure needs...the patency of the airway tissues. Some people just have floppier airway tissues than others and the only way to know what the optimal pressure is going to be would be to use the machine and the software (see my signature for links) and come up with an optimal pressure based on software reports. It isn't all that difficult but does take some education and a bit of work.

People can self treat but they need to have plain jane vanilla OSA to start with and educate themselves about what the machine can do and what it needs to do.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rsam

Post by Rsam » Wed May 28, 2014 10:19 am

I am a total cpap NEWB. but that is what I got from the sleep doc and it works wonders for me. I found it to be easy to use as a first time user and sometimes wonder if it is really on it is so comfortable.

Stevoreno_55

Post by Stevoreno_55 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:25 am

Rsam wrote:I am a total cpap NEWB. but that is what I got from the sleep doc and it works wonders for me. I found it to be easy to use as a first time user and sometimes wonder if it is really on it is so comfortable.
What are your diagnosed pressures since you state you are a NEWB?

Stevoreno_55
MS Gulf Coast
05/28/14