Question about using my new Resmed S9Auto...pulsating

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
avi123

Re: Question about using my new Resmed S9Auto...pulsating

Post by avi123 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm

Country4ever wrote:avi........You said you couldn't feel those pulses.....but you were asleep, right? And in the study you posted, I don't think it mentioned if the subjects ever sensed any pulses while awake.
In the study they stated this:

The 1 cm H2O amplitude pulses are able to be perceived
by a patient if they are awake but are not large enough to
arouse them from sleep.

I would take 5 mg of Zolpidem (generic Ambien) to make me fall asleep and then I would not perceive those pulses. A small dose of Ambien wouldn't make me walk in my sleep as those experts say on the morning TV shows.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:08 pm

DoriC wrote:Just wondering, did they give you a slimline hose or standard hose? If you're using a standard hose you have to change the hose setting. Don't know if that would be causing the pulsing.
Hmmm....that's interesting Dori.........A couple years ago, the tube diameter got smaller.........so when the Lincare lady asked if I used slimline tubing, I said yes. But I just looked at my tubing (that I'm still using) and it's larger than the slimline that she gave me (came with the machine). Hmmmm......I'll have to see if I can change that in the setup to whatever else there is to choose from.

Does anyone else remember a few years ago, that they went to a smaller diameter tube.....but its still not as small as the "slimline".

Would that be funny, if that's what these problems were all about??

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 pm

I think Dori might be the winner here! But it's a little too early to know for sure.
I got into the set-up and it was set for slimline tubing. I changed it to standard and the air flow isn't jumping around now! I'll need to make sure it lasts that way.........but gee........wouldn't it be great if the solution was that easy??
Could the "slimline" setting have really caused all those problems? I'm sure the pressures would be different when using different diameter hoses. Maybe that's the jerking I was feeling.......????
I will be so happy if this is the answer!!!

If I do switch to a slimline tubing, will I feel any difference......as long as I make sure the machine is set to slimline?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:32 pm

There's a reason there's a separate setting for the different sizes of hoses.
I think if you use a real slimline hose with the slimline setting that you will be fine. You can try it at your convenience.

Whew...BTW just got through looking at a bunch of my S9 reports...FOT never showed up until I had a real and obvious reduction in air flow.

Congrats Dori.
I had no idea that she was not using the slimline hose that came with the new machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Like I said, I'm a little nervous to get REALLY excited yet........but it would make sense that it would cause a problem, right?
I'm using it for the first time tonight, so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks for all your effort to help me understand this pugsy. (and everyone else).
I'm afraid I missed some of the settings in my earlier post. I'm still finding hallways I didn't know were in the set-up. haha

And Dori.........good thinking!

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 pm

I once made that mistake with the hose setting and I remember Mike had a very fitful night, lucky I discovered it the next night. I know everyone says there's no difference in the hose diameter with the correct setting but Mike breathes better with the standard lightweight hose, he seems to labor a bit with the slimline. His case may be unusual though. I hope I found the answer for you, makes me feel like Pugsy,Jr.!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

ubnoxus

Post by ubnoxus » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:11 pm

DoriC wrote: Mike breathes better with the standard lightweight hose, he seems to labor a bit with the slimline.
I do too, I seem to struggle to breath with the slimline, I think it's all on my head.
Using Tapatalk

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:48 am

Well......here's the update.

The change to the tubing setting made a BIG difference in the flow. But.....several other problems arose.

First, even at my usual pressure, I felt like I had pretty bad air hunger. That was strange.
And.....(I think you guys are going to think I'm looney)....but I couldn't go 4-5 seconds in between inspirations without hearing (not feeling) the FOT engage. It would be a soft rapid-fire sound in the air delivery.

I hope I can somehow change that interval, to give me more time before it engages. Anyone else hear that???

Maybe if I had been tired enough at the time, these things might not have bothered me. It was almost like how I get at sleep studies.........too much new/strange stuff going on to sleep. Anyhow.......I switched back to my S8 and was happy as a clam. But I would like to work out these other problems.

LOL Dori.......yes, you are Pugsy jr. Thanks again!

jgledhill

Post by jgledhill » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:13 am

/I did not know that there is a place to change setting for different size hoses. I was given a narrow hose but I changed to a larger one since it was longer. Where is it and do you have to change .I am using the s9 with humidifier.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:57 am

jgledhill wrote:/I did not know that there is a place to change setting for different size hoses. I was given a narrow hose but I changed to a larger one since it was longer. Where is it and do you have to change .I am using the s9 with humidifier.
Hose selection is in the clinical setup menu.
This link is for the clinical/provider manual which explains how to get to the setup menu
http://www.apneuvereniging.nl/forum/pdf ... manual.pdf

Country4ever wrote: I couldn't go 4-5 seconds in between inspirations without hearing (not feeling) the FOT engage. It would be a soft rapid-fire sound in the air delivery.
FOT shouldn't kick in until you actually have some sort of reduction in airflow for an impending apnea event of some sort and then only if it couldn't determine which kind of event.. While awake..it shouldn't happen.
You are going to have to look at the flow rate for your breathing to make sure it is FOT that you are feeling. If you don't confirm it by looking at the flow rate, you may be blaming something that isn't to blame.
Unless you were purposely holding your breath or something to mimic an apnea event...it simply doesn't happen all the time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:11 am

Thanks Pugsy,
How do I look at the flow rate? Do I have to have some software?

No, I wasn't playing with the breathing. I was trying to go to sleep. I was breathing normally, but right before I would take another breath, I would hear this rapid puff-puff-puff-puff-puff........about 6 per second.
This is so frustrating. If I take in the machine and the card, could Lincare download it and see if the FOT was kicking in? It was very distracting.....enough to keep me awake.
I know I must sound like a nut. I'm am so very sensitive to everything......but I can't imagine that other S9 users don't sense this.
I was probably breathing 12 breaths/min.....so I don't think anything should have been kicking in. But it was very obvious to me.
Please don't give up on me!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:34 am

You would need the software (either ResScan or SleepyHead) and you would need Sleep Quality set to ON (remember it was set to Usage unless you have already changed it)..and figure out how to zoom in on the breathing flow graph.

The DME probably won't have a clue what to look at or even get that piece of data. It's much deeper in the reports than they normally ever go.

Is it on inhale or exhale that you hear this noise?
Again...this is not a common occurrence..you are hearing things that I haven't ever seen anyone else report.
Not saying it hasn't happened but of all the S9 users here on this forum....this is a new issue.
Most people remark on how much quieter the S9 is when compare to the S8.

Country4ever

Post by Country4ever » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:46 am

I inhale and exhale.....then when I'm ready to inhale again (which is about 4-5 seconds later), this rapid, soft clicking noise happens just before I take in the next breath. Unless I breathe more quickly than I need to, it happens with every breath......right before inspiration.

Before I forget to ask.....when I do get the software and download the card......does that erase all the info on the card, so it won't be there when the doc tries to download it?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:56 am

Using the software doesn't do anything to the data on the SD card..in fact does nothing at all to the SD card.
There is a way to alter things using ResScan but it is not easy and certainly can't be done by accident.

Lazer1234

Post by Lazer1234 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:29 pm

I have no problem activating FOT when I'm awake, just breathe very slowly or hold your breath for a moment to start FOT.

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234