S9 In the house

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepapneasurfer

S9 In the house

Post by sleepapneasurfer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:16 pm

Hello all.
Today My s9 auto arrived. Its a nice machine from what I can see.
I orderd 2 different a hybrid full face and nose pillow by respcare.
I tried this mask 9 ways to sunday and the S9 reports that I do not have a good fit.
I don't feel like I have a good seal.
I feel like the balance between how tight the headgear/mask fits on my face and comfort is critical and I don't think this mask will do it unfortunately. It was expensive.

So I await an innomed full face mask.

This part is a bit frustrating.

I feel a bit let down by the sleep study doctor and the sleep study place. As well as by my own doctor.

I have every intention of firing my doctor and my plan. If I have ongoing authorizations for treatment I can not switch doctors or groups. Since it has been paid for I suppose I should take advantage of the company that was going to rent me a cpap machine for the low low price of 75 a month. Since I know this will be a long term treatment I just bought a machine.

Until I have a new stable medical health plan I am on my own.

I will be trying a full face mask (thats what worked best was a full face mask so Thats the next mask to be delivered.

I spent several hours with the mask on this evening trying to get used to it. I am a side sleeper and a back sleeper. the hybrid seemed to hold on for me on my side. I just can't get a perfect fit that is leak free.

Any tips on a mask (BIg mouth and normal size nose largish nostrils.) very short beard (it looks like this might have to come off...though the problem seems to be the nasal pillows I tried all three that came with the mask.

So Here I wait with my S9 ready to change the way I sleep at a fundamental level. looking forward to sleeping better.
thanks
Sleepapneasurfer.

letsride

Re: S9 In the house

Post by letsride » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:04 am

You have received a great pap. The hybrid did nothing but leak for me.
The Mirage Quattro is a good full face mask.
The Swift FX Nasal is my favorite for comfort and low leak.

Thewino

Post by Thewino » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:49 am

Hello Surfer,

Well, you certainly picked out a top notch machine. Good job doing your homework!

I started with a full face mask, moved on to a hybrid, and have now reached my goal of utilizing nasal pillows. I just simply don't like the FFM feeling on my face.

If I were to offer one suggestion Surfer, it would be to ensure your mask straps are not too tight. The inclination is to keep tightening the mask more and more.

Please try starting out by putting the mask on your face with the straps loose. Turn the machine on if your breathing into the mask didn't automatically start it up. Once air is blowing out of the CPAP machine, lift the mask a little bit off of your face and then gently apply the mask again onto your face in the correct position.

Now that the air is blowing, you have resealed the mask cushion. Now, use the mask straps and Velcro them as loose as you can to keep this seal. From this point, if you feel the need the tighten the straps further, do so in very small increments until you have found a comfortable fit.

Good Luck sir,
TheWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

sleepapneasurfer

Post by sleepapneasurfer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:15 pm

letsride wrote:You have received a great pap. The hybrid did nothing but leak for me.
The Mirage Quattro is a good full face mask.
The Swift FX Nasal is my favorite for comfort and low leak.

Thanks for the tips folks.
I cancelled an order for a full face mask on special.
I ordered a Mirage Quattro.
I read some reviews and this seems to be a mask THAT WORKS for many people.
I need that.

I don't know how restless I am or not. I do know that I am a loud snorer and I have sleep apnea so I really really hope this mask works for me I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to waking up from a real restful sleep...

I have not yet figured out how and what settings to set on the S9.

I don't have any help on set up since I am a lone wolf patient without the support of a doctor or sleep center.
I will take this challenge and succeed!!

SleepapneaSurfer

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:32 pm

Are you buying masks on your own or through the Insurance and only a specific DME?

If you are buying on your own then try using our forum host CPAP.com (at least to see the possibilities and to get a competitive price for your other research.)

If you aren't stuck with a DME due to insurance you can CHANGE to any other -- just tell the DME (e.g., CPAP.com) and they will contact your doc for a copy of the Rx. (or you can ask for your Rx yourself as many people recommend but I find that unnecessary and extra trouble.)

CPAP.com will sell you a AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear with FREE SHIPPING and FREE RETURN insurance.

This is a great mask for ME but might be terrible for you (3 pillow sizes and average to big guy head with not a LOT of hair works great) but it might be terrible for YOU.

But with free return insurance you can't really lose (and CPAP.com is incredibly accommodating about making good on the return policy -- they actually SOLICIT THE RETURN. Who does that?)

So you can look through their offerings of "Free Return Insurance" or pay a small fee (maybe 10-20%) to get RETURN INSURANCE on other masks they offer.

I have an Innomed Hybrid "full face mask" coming this week -- it's not really an FFM but a nose pillow combined with a mouth mask. Sounds like what you might have ordered despite the name the manufacturer uses.

It' pretty obvious that some people NEED FFMs and even true FFMs that cover the eyes too.

For those that don't, the Nasal Pillows are MUCH easier to fit in general.

The Pilairo Q might be another good choice in a minimalist mask that doesn't need a full face seal.

I have an F & P Oracle Oral Mask that is almost unwearable but for some people it is perfect (or at least not torture.)

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."

sleepapneasurfer

Re:

Post by sleepapneasurfer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:26 pm

HerbM wrote:Are you buying masks on your own or through the Insurance and only a specific DME?

If you are buying on your own then try using our forum host CPAP.com (at least to see the possibilities and to get a competitive price for your other research.)

If you aren't stuck with a DME due to insurance you can CHANGE to any other -- just tell the DME (e.g., CPAP.com) and they will contact your doc for a copy of the Rx. (or you can ask for your Rx yourself as many people recommend but I find that unnecessary and extra trouble.)

CPAP.com will sell you a AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear with FREE SHIPPING and FREE RETURN insurance.

This is a great mask for ME but might be terrible for you (3 pillow sizes and average to big guy head with not a LOT of hair works great) but it might be terrible for YOU.

But with free return insurance you can't really lose (and CPAP.com is incredibly accommodating about making good on the return policy -- they actually SOLICIT THE RETURN. Who does that?)

So you can look through their offerings of "Free Return Insurance" or pay a small fee (maybe 10-20%) to get RETURN INSURANCE on other masks they offer.

I have an Innomed Hybrid "full face mask" coming this week -- it's not really an FFM but a nose pillow combined with a mouth mask. Sounds like what you might have ordered despite the name the manufacturer uses.

It' pretty obvious that some people NEED FFMs and even true FFMs that cover the eyes too.

For those that don't, the Nasal Pillows are MUCH easier to fit in general.

The Pilairo Q might be another good choice in a minimalist mask that doesn't need a full face seal.

I have an F & P Oracle Oral Mask that is almost unwearable but for some people it is perfect (or at least not torture.)

I have to buy the equipment myself. otherwise a $75++ a month. I am also stuck with lower end equipment.
Ok So I have my S9, I tried the hybrid mask no good for me. I received my mirage Quattro
today and I have to say in terms of initial impression is that this is a MUCH better mask for me.
It fit out of the box(bag). I had to do some small adjustments to the head gear (still need to) and it fit very well.
I have no doubt that I will be able to at least give it a good try tonight. I plan on laying in bed with tv going with mask on and s9 going.
Oh BTW I do not have much to compare with but the s9 with this new mask makes ZERO noise. no hissing no nothing. the machine is quiet. I will say this much my wife is next to get one of these because she is a snorer and probably has some Apnea...

Anyway thanks for the suggestions the best one yet was to get this mask. it rocks. I am soooo looking forward to a good nights sleep.

Sleepapneasurfer

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Just curious, how are you deciding which size you need? It's very important to wear the proper size. You can find a sizing guide for the Quattro on our host's website.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

sleepapneasurfer

Post by sleepapneasurfer » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:04 am

sleepapneasurfer wrote:Hello all.
Today My s9 auto arrived. Its a nice machine from what I can see.
I orderd 2 different a hybrid full face and nose pillow by respcare.
I tried this mask 9 ways to sunday and the S9 reports that I do not have a good fit.
I don't feel like I have a good seal.
I feel like the balance between how tight the headgear/mask fits on my face and comfort is critical and I don't think this mask will do it unfortunately. It was expensive.

So I await an innomed full face mask.

This part is a bit frustrating.

I feel a bit let down by the sleep study doctor and the sleep study place. As well as by my own doctor.

I have every intention of firing my doctor and my plan. If I have ongoing authorizations for treatment I can not switch doctors or groups. Since it has been paid for I suppose I should take advantage of the company that was going to rent me a cpap machine for the low low price of 75 a month. Since I know this will be a long term treatment I just bought a machine.

Until I have a new stable medical health plan I am on my own.

I will be trying a full face mask (thats what worked best was a full face mask so Thats the next mask to be delivered.

I spent several hours with the mask on this evening trying to get used to it. I am a side sleeper and a back sleeper. the hybrid seemed to hold on for me on my side. I just can't get a perfect fit that is leak free.

Any tips on a mask (BIg mouth and normal size nose largish nostrils.) very short beard (it looks like this might have to come off...though the problem seems to be the nasal pillows I tried all three that came with the mask.

So Here I wait with my S9 ready to change the way I sleep at a fundamental level. looking forward to sleeping better.
thanks
Sleepapneasurfer.
So Last night I watch TV with the mask on and fell asleep. I did wake up a couple times but for the most part I slept all the way through the night. I slept in every position I normally sleep in and the mak was a minimal bother. I have marks on my forehead and a bit of GAS in my belly.

is there a way to tell from the machines perspective, how the night went?
Thanks.

Sleepapneasurfer

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:19 am

sleepapneasurfer wrote:is there a way to tell from the machines perspective, how the night went?
Yes, there is easy to obtain and use software that can be used to evaluate therapy.
See the links in my signature for where to get and how to use.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.