Before night One

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chirurgeon

Before night One

Post by chirurgeon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:05 pm

I got my machine tonight. The RT spent an hour with me going over everything. I got the machine I asked for. She seemed very nice and appeared to be there for me in the future. The machine is set for 14, with a ramp period of 20 minutes. I plan on sitting up in bed with it on watching TV with it on. I hope to get my new life started tonight, wish me luck.

Popsnores

Re: Before night One

Post by Popsnores » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm

I do wish you luck, but expect it will all work as advertised. We're starting about the same time as tonight will just be my fourth with the machine. First night was frustrating trying to get comfortable with the full face mask, but it's going much better now. I had no RT but learned a lot from this forum.

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Do not expect a miracle on your first night. Unfortunately many people do not wake up after the first night feeling fantastic.

I was given the impression (by the RT's) that I would see immediate results, boy I was disappointed. I really hope you both see immediate results, but try not to be upset if it doesn't happen overnight.

chirurgeon

Post by chirurgeon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:03 pm

I don't expect miracles in one night. But it's is the start to feeling better

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm not just going to wish you luck, but I wish you success. It takes work, but with time you should see results & hopefully you will get to the point you won't want to sleep without your CPAP. I'm in my 14th year & will not sleep without my machine. I took to it like a duck to water & that was using the older machine back before data capable, no humidifier (had to 'qualify' for one) & a badly fitting mask. New equipment is much better & helps you succeed.

Let us know how tonight goes.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

chirurgeon

Post by chirurgeon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:08 pm

Early observations. I can't wear. My glasses with this mask. And I can't move much either or I start getting leaks. Not liking the seal on the mask. It's a size medium. I've tried making the mask tighter but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I'm going to look at other masks on CPAP.com and try to find one that looks like it might work better. Maybe a nasal on after all. I seem to be keeping my mouth shut without thinking about it too much. Also, I seem to be feeling a fair amount of pressure in my ears. Is that normal?

I will put the mask back on before I go to sleep. Hopefully sleeping on my back will keep the mask in place. I'm a side sleeper as well, so this isn't working.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:10 pm

For nasal breathers, I would recommend a nasal mask (pillows, even). Less potential for leaks.

Ears can be a problem. If you experience pain, you may need to talk to your doctor about reducing the pressure, and gradually working up. A little transient, tolerable discomfort may be OK.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:29 am

chirurgeon wrote:I don't expect miracles in one night. But it's is the start to feeling better
Yep that is a good way of thinking. I wish you every success with your therapy

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:57 am

Looks as though you're first night wasn't that bad after all! It's a success if you didn't drop-kick the machine out the window. Keep working on it! The "natural" response to a leaky mask is to tighten. That doesn't always work. Your mask should not be tight as to feel uncomfortable. Keep us updated and work all your issues here.

Sheriff