Remembering Dreams

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

Remembering Dreams

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

kteague

Re: Remembering Dreams

Post by kteague » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Interesting read. I know I've read on here that waking helps remember dreams. This goes a step beyond with the scans showing blood flow difference. Now I'm wondering about comparisons between those who remember dreams and those who don't, if waking shortens REM or if they were already at the end of a sufficient REM period. The other thing that comes to mind, wonder if those on here who identify themselves as sensation sensitive people are the same ones who remember a lot of their dreams. Hmmm.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 pm

I can only speak for myself. Per EEG, I wake up ~50 times per hour in REM. I know I can wake up and slide right back into a dream, often the same one. Untreated and unmedicated, I feel like I've been up all night watching movies. The amount of REM I have is pretty normal, I think, it's just disrupted. And, yes, I can hear a pin drop in another state. I sleep with 3 white noise machines and a fan on!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:05 am

SleepingUgly wrote:And, yes, I can hear a pin drop in another state. I sleep with 3 white noise machines and a fan on!
Yeah, I understand...I use earplugs, and they don't shut out sounds, just attenuate and muffle them. That's enough for me to be able to sleep okay, but I'm also a very light sleeper without earplugs.

Also, living near the ocean, we get wind-driven rain that is very noisy...the earplugs really help with that as well.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:19 am

It makes perfect sense to me because for a few months prior to diagnosis (OSA) I was having lots (for me) of very memorable dreams... and while it might seem contradictory from the viewpoint of low 02 not increasing blood flow to my brain, I think I probably was being semi-aroused (and thus locking in dream memory) by OSA until starting Cpap.