After more than a year, sudden large mask leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wardmiller

After more than a year, sudden large mask leaks

Post by wardmiller » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:46 am

I have been using a ResMed Quattro FX Large, full-face mask, without a problem, for more than a year. Previously, I tried the FX Medium and found I could have the straps quite loose and it worked fine, except the lower edge of the cushion kept getting into my mouth and losing the seal factor. According to their sizing chart, I should use a Large size, so I changed to Large and have had no problems, except I found I had to pull the straps rather tight. During the night this causes a rather deep groove across the back of my neck, but it soon disappears after I remove the mask in the morning. (The FX has one broad strap across the back of the neck, just below the skull, and a smaller one over the top of the head.)

Typically, the Leaks line on each nightly graph is just an asymptotic wiggle along the bottom. Last night I was aware I was having leaks while sleeping and while half awake repositioned my mask numerous times. Finally, I pulled the straps tighter, and according to the graph this morning that did reduce the major leaks, but they still continued from 0 to about 30. The statistics for last night show Leaks Median 6.0 L/min, 95th Percentile 50.4 and Maximum 93.6. Typically, those values are 2.4, 7.2 and 12.0, respectively, or less. AHI for the night was 3.0. That or less are typical for me.

Except as noted above, none of my routines changed last night, nothing new. But for about an hour, four hours after retiring, there were wild excursions on the graph, between 0 and 50, then continued at about 20, bopping around, for the rest of the night.

Tonight I intend to install a new Cushion and also completely reset the straps. Any other suggestions?

LSAT

Re: After more than a year, sudden large mask leaks

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:55 am

I would not go crazy about some excessive leaks on one night. Also 0-30 is an acceptable leak for your mask. If you slept well and your AHI is reasonable don't worry about the leak.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:49 am

Is it possible you've lost weight recently? That can make a big difference that suddenly changes the seal just enough to allow air to escape and then the rest of it lets go, especially if it's older.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:20 am

How old is the cushion? If it's anywhere close to a year old, that's probably your problem and replacing it and refitting the straps will probably make the problem disappear.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:24 pm

I also use the QFX medium and have the same sizing issues between the M and L sizes. I was getting middle of the night leaks and eventually noticed moisture or condensation building up in the corners of my mouth (under the sliicon) and then it would start dribbling down into my frown (or smile) lines at the edges of my lips. The only thing that really solved the mask leaks in that area was simply using a Padacheek liner made for the QFX. Search this site for the word Padacheek, or better still, Google it on the internet... the owner Karen is a member here at CPAPtalk. For about $25 it could solve your problem. They are soft and comfy too.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

wardmiller

Post by wardmiller » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks for all the responses. Here are my comments--

1. I can't ignore the leaks because they woke me up and caused a restless sleep.

2. I have not had any recent weight loss.

3. The cushion is about 2 months old.

4. Have not noticed any drool. I'll watch for that.

I'll consider a Padacheek. It might cause a better fit.

I'll change the cushion and hope that helps.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:13 pm

robysue wrote:How old is the cushion? If it's anywhere close to a year old, that's probably your problem and replacing it and refitting the straps will probably make the problem disappear.
What about wardmiller's age of 86, could it be the cause? I am asking b/c in 2 years I'll be at that age.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:45 am

avi123 wrote:
robysue wrote:How old is the cushion? If it's anywhere close to a year old, that's probably your problem and replacing it and refitting the straps will probably make the problem disappear.
What about wardmiller's age of 86, could it be the cause? I am asking b/c in 2 years I'll be at that age.
So what does old age have to do with a leaky mask........ If you think you are right (as usual) then you will have a leaky mask in two years .
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:11 pm

You might want to try a leak strap from padacheek. http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_AntiLeak_Strap.html

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:44 pm

I wear a QFX Large and, along with a mask liner, wear a stretchy headband on top of the mask. It sits between the exhaust holes and the hose intake. This keeps my mask from leaking around my relaxed cheeks when I am asleep.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:49 pm

Maybe you need new headgear as well?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08