A few questions from a newbie

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tidle73

A few questions from a newbie

Post by tidle73 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:46 pm

Started CPAP treatment almost 3 weeks ago and I have a few questions.

The technician that helped fit me for my mask asked what hose I wanted, the less expensive standard or the more expensive ClimateLine. I went with the ClimateLine hose since she highly suggested it for the S9. After using the machine for a while I could really use a longer hose (one night I pulled the machine off the night stand onto the bed from rolling around). While looking on CPAP.com I couldn't find a longer ClimateLine hose then the one I got. Can I use a standard hose (such as the this one) on an S9 with a H5I heated humidifier?

The technician also said that every morning I needed to throw out any unused distilled water, wash out the pan and let it run the cool down cycle without the pan in the H5I. I then saw on here that people said that there isn't a need to dump out the water just need to top it off when needed. If I go that route does that mean I still need to remove the pan from the H5I while it runs the cool down cycle? Also few people said that they only fill the pan once a week, if I sleep for more then 7 hours the pan dries out. Is that normal or should a full pan last a week?

She also said that I need to disassemble my Mirage Quattro once a week and wash it with soapy water. Do I need to fully disassemble it each week or can I just wash it without disassembling it?

Also does anyone have any experience with using Blue Cross Blue Shield with CPAP.com. The price for my mask on CPAP.com is 176.00, while my copay through where I got my equipment is 115.20. If I could get my insurance to use CPAP.com that would put my copay down to 52.80. The price for the S9 & H5I works out that I'm only saving 60.00 going through where I got the equipment from with the copay & deductible then buying it myself online.

MitzyG

Re: A few questions from a newbie

Post by MitzyG » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm curious to know about the water too. I have been topping off each morning. no big deal. The amount used seems to depend on your humidity setting and the temperature in the room. If my tank is 100% full at the beginning, I would say that it's maybe 10-20% remaining at the end of an 8 hr sleep time with 5.5 humidity. I got little instruction so I never got guidance about tossing water out or removing during the cooling cycle.

Regarding prices. Let me tell you, even with HEAVY negotiation from my insurance, I can pay the same or less by catching items on sale online and having them reimburse at 60% instead of 80% for a preferred provider. To me, they should allow 80% reimbursement if the price is less than "reasonable and customary". the doctor and DME charge more than online because they have to play the insurance game. You file it yourself and it's a pain, but at least I get what I ordered at a price agreed upon up front. You don't get more or less and they don't change the charges or refuse to give you a receipt.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you can use that 10 ft standard hose if you wish.. You lose the ability to customize the humidity that is delivered and the temperature though. Not a deal breaker but just be aware that there is a greater chance of rain out (condensation in the hose or mask) depending on humidity used and bedroom temperatures

The amount of water used during the night with the CLimateline hose is going to depend on what your ambient room humidity happens to be on any given night.
If the humidity is higher (like on a rainy night) then you will use less.
Right now it is winter and with furnaces the air in our homes is typically fairly dry and yes, we can use up all the water in the tank. Mine went dry last night....air is really dry in my house. Can't do a thing without static electricity zapping me.
The poor dog (Shih Tzu) looks like she stuck her paw in the electric socket her little hair is so wild.
I have never been able to go 2 nights without adding some water to my water tank.

There's no need to go to all that work that the DME person suggested you do with the humidifier water tank unless you just want to. If you are using distilled water a once a week dumping and cleaning is more than sufficient.
Up to you though. Some people don't mind the work.
Me....Just started with this particular S9 (been on cpap nearly 4 years) on Jan 12 I think...still haven't done anything but top it off and probably won't for quite a while.
I don't do anything but have my morning coffee while the machine is going through its cool down cycle...what you were told is a new one on me.

I top the water tank off at night. So once I turn the machine off in the AM....I don't even look at it until either evening or if I happen to pull the SD card to check my data (don't do that every day).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Ask your dog groomer for cream/conditioner for your dog - they do make them!

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi,

I found that the biggest factor in the amount of water used is the background humidity. At my home in Minnesota, where it is bone dry during the winter, I can barely get to 8 hours on a single tank of water. Using the same machine at my home in Florida, where the humidity approaches 100% nearly every morning, I can get a week out of a tank of water. I top off my water level every night. I then rinse it out once a week or so. I have never had any issues as long as I use distilled water.

-john-

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Julie wrote:Ask your dog groomer for cream/conditioner for your dog - they do make them!
It's hard to find in stores, but I use a product called DeMat by Kelco. I buy it by the gallon from amazon. I originally got it for grooming cats for cat shows. But it also reduces static and I use it my own hair too. It is a leave in conditioner, so I spray it while they wet after a bath. Or I just spray them when they are dry and need some.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

-tim

Post by -tim » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:03 am

tidle73 wrote:Started CPAP treatment almost 3 weeks ago and I have a few questions.

The technician that helped fit me for my mask asked what hose I wanted, the less expensive standard or the more expensive ClimateLine. I went with the ClimateLine hose since she highly suggested it for the S9. After using the machine for a while I could really use a longer hose (one night I pulled the machine off the night stand onto the bed from rolling around). While looking on I couldn't find a longer ClimateLine hose then the one I got. Can I use a standard hose (such as the this one) on an S9 with a H5I heated humidifier?

The technician also said that every morning I needed to throw out any unused distilled water, wash out the pan and let it run the cool down cycle without the pan in the H5I. I then saw on here that people said that there isn't a need to dump out the water just need to top it off when needed. If I go that route does that mean I still need to remove the pan from the H5I while it runs the cool down cycle? Also few people said that they only fill the pan once a week, if I sleep for more then 7 hours the pan dries out. Is that normal or should a full pan last a week?

She also said that I need to disassemble my Mirage Quattro once a week and wash it with soapy water. Do I need to fully disassemble it each week or can I just wash it without disassembling it?
You can get 2 foot extensions so you can get some of the benefit of a heated hose.

The advice to remove the tank while it is cooling down seems to be rather unique advice as I've never heard it before.

I clean my mask daly and my tank every few days even when using distilled water. If you use tap water, you will want to dump the tank every day depending on how clean your water is. After the 3rd day, my tap water starts to feel slimy.

There is another recent thread about external humidifiers if the tank is drying out.

purple

Post by purple » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:45 pm

the best way to prevent pulling the machine off on to the floor is to use a hose management system. I use the hose buddy sold by our sponsor, no affiliation, but one can simply tie the hose to the head board or someplace so a tug on the hose will not pull the machine onto the floor.

A longer hose can help as well.

tidle73

Post by tidle73 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Thank you all for the advise