Flying Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bennnyp

Flying Machine

Post by Bennnyp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:35 pm

I am going on a trip and need to fly. Can I take my machine through security and use it as a carry on bag. I would definitely not want
to damage, or lose.

StuUnderPressure

Re: Flying Machine

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Yes, it is considered a medical device and does not even count towards your carryon maximum (at least in the U.S.).

Is this a domestic flight?

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

Bennnyp

Post by Bennnyp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Yes it is a domestic flight. Is it difficult to go through security.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:20 pm

Nope, not difficult at all to go through Security.

They all know very well what these machines are & you should not have any problems at all.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:31 pm

Just in case, put your machine inside a ZipLock type of bag so that the TSA folks won't have to actually touch it in case they want you to open the travel case. The vinyl gloves they wear are to protect them from germs not to protect you from germs from other passengers.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Whatever you do, don't even consider checking it!

lakejumper

Post by lakejumper » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:39 pm

When you go through security, you may have to remove the machine from the case which is why you want to keep it in a one-gallon ziplocbag to protect it. Also, when you board the plane, the gate agent may point out that you have more than one carryon bag. Just let them know that it is medical equipment. Again, don't let anyone make you or ask you to check it in. I saw a luggage handler literally throw bags over a rail from top of stairs down onto a conveyor belt a couple of weeks ago. This was at the gate when they were loading carryon luggage that wouldn't fit in the overhead compartments. So be careful how you pack!

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 pm

And when you get to your gate, ask the Airline personnel there if you could board early - to make sure there is space in the overhead bins to hold your machine. This makes certain that they do not try to "gate check" it if the bins would be full if you do not board early. This is extremely important when a smaller plane is involved.

Or, when they call for people who need extra time boarding, just go on the plane at that time.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 pm

You can also (politely) ask the gate inspector to put on fresh gloves before examining your device (to protect you.)

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:32 pm

I don't put my machine in a zip lock bag because they generally do NOT take the machine out for inspection anymore.

But, they did do that once when I was the Nth person to go through the scanner. They then pulled me aside for additional screening & did take my machine out of its bag.

But, to my surprise, the TSA agent did actually change her gloves before touching my machine. At that airport they made you just open the bag, but not take out the machine. So, the bag was already open & she could have readily just taken out the machine. But, instead, she took the time to actually 1st change her gloves.

But, because of that 1 incident, I think I will now always put my machine in a zip lock bag. I will also carry spares just in case a TSA agent does touch the one on the machine.

QUESTION though:
When the TSA swabs your machine for explosives, can they do that with the zip lock bag on it? Seems like the machine would have to be out of the zip lock bag for the swabs to work?

When I was picked for additional screening just by being the Nth person, they did swab my machine.

sawinglogz

Post by sawinglogz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:34 pm

If they swab your machine, they'll need to open the ziplock, but the swap is single-use, so you shouldn't be getting any germs from that.

My machine doesn't fit in a ziplock anyway. I just keep the hose and mask in a ziplock.

How anal-retentive the agents are varies widely from airport to airport. They pretty much always want it not crammed into a larger bag. Most places are totally fine with treating your CPAP bag like a laptop bag, assuming there's nothing on top of the CPAP. (I switch my mask + hose ziplock to a carry-on to go through security.) Some want you to leave the CPAP bag open, and some want you to remove it from the CPAP bag.

If you want to go through without any hitches the first time, you can simply remove your CPAP from the bag and place it in a bin.

If you want to go through as fast as possible on average, with a possible second trip through the X-ray for your CPAP, you can leave it in its bag.

But don't put it in your roller-board, and certainly do NOT put it under the plane! As others have said, if you can't put it under the seat in front of you, ask to get on early so that you can put it in the overhead. And, as others have said, it doesn't count against your carry-on limit for domestic flights.

...just remember to empty your humidifier before packing it up!

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:25 pm

Typically, I have to take it out of the bag, but it's been years since the last time they swabbed it. Really, they've seen so many by now it's no big deal to them.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

pbriggs

Post by pbriggs » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:03 pm

I fly once a month on average. The first time I took my BiPAP with me I was a bit worried about it. Now I don't even ask any questions. I place the BiPAP travel bag in its own bin and open the top of it so the machine is visible. I also keep my mask and hose in separate ziplock bags. The only items in the BiPAP bag are all medical, so the BiPAP, mask, hose, and power cord. So far I have taken it on 1 international flight and 4 domestic flights and will fly again next week. So far so good. I have not even had a second look from anyone at it. Typically I can fit my computer bag and the biPAP in the overhead, only once I had to have it at my feet. I am not sure what I would do if there was only room for one bag as I would never check the BiPAP or my computer. I guess I would talk the computer out of the bag and check that bag. After my first flight I had a laugh when I realized how many of these machines I could spot at the airport. When you have a long layover you get board.