Nosebleeds?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Maryb

Nosebleeds?

Post by Maryb » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:36 am

I've been on APAP now for ~3.5 months. Just hit the 100 night mark!
But the last several weeks I've started getting nosebleeds about once a week.
Usually in the morning or the evening but not during the night.
I've never had nosebleeds before.
Has anyone else had nosebleeds from CPAP?
Kind of wierd I think.

Maryb

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:59 am

Maryb,

I've suffered from nosebleeds all my life, so I can't make any correlation with my recent CPAP use. However, I would suggest that you try a small amount of Ayr Saline Gel dabbed on the inside of each nostril with a Q-Tip before bed every night and after your shower every morning. Keeps the inside of your nose nice and moist and has really helped to cut down on the frequency of my nosebleeds.

Good luck!

Kurtchan

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:12 am

Nosebleeds are probably caused by low humidity. You should try to turn up the humidity on your machine and see if that helps.

bassett

Post by bassett » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:27 am

I've had a few random nose bleeds myself since starting on a CPAP in early April. I have found no link to low humidity. Other than that, I've been unable to pinpoint the cause.

Linda3032

Post by Linda3032 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:35 am

My reasoning is that the nostrils and sinuses dry out from the air blowing into them. Once they are dried out, the blood vessels in them can get irritated and bleed.

It doesn't hurt to turn up the humidity and see if it helps.

Maryb

Post by Maryb » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:59 am

I think Linda is right about your nose drying out. However, I always have the humidity cranked up to just one notch short of the maximum setting.
I live in San Francisco where it is usually pretty humid from the ocean fog but at certain times of the year we get a few hot dry days. Maybe my nose can't stand the dry days when it's off the cpap machine (?). In fact I had a nosebleed yesterday and it was 87 degrees here and extremely dry. Whenever we do get heat which is rare, it is always dry heat.
So I guess I will try putting the ayr gel or Roezit in my nose in the day.
I think the nose gets plenty of humidity at night.
thanks for the suggestions and ideas,

Maryb

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:33 pm

I was plagued with nosebleeds, until I re-started xPAP in April. I'm on blood thinners and once in a while it gets a bit too thin (3.7 last week). However, with my humidifier set at only 2, I have not has anymore nosebleeds..

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:45 pm

With the humidifier off or at 1-I get blood tinged mucous. At two there is a little. Three seems to be the right setting right now-it could change over the summer.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:51 pm

I grew up with nosebleeds and lived with them most of my life (long before CPAP therapy). I finally got smart and went to a ENT doctor, who cauterized inside the upper area of the nose where it leads to the sinuses. I have not had a nosebleed since. What a Godsend. However, what I have gotten when either excessive dryness is present (as in Las Vegas or Phoenix) is waking to when I blow my nose some blood clots or bit of blood show up on the kleenex, but it is not flowing so to speak. The pressure of the xpap machines will increase the pressure upon the nasal tissues and therefore also the bloodvessels inside the nose and sinus (of which there are many). This will indeed increase the presence of blood via small broken bloodvessels as well as in some unfortunate cases, a flow of blood from the pressure. I highly recommend anyone who is experiencing a flow (not just presence) of blood due to this pressure see a ENT doctor and get cauterized. It is no big deal but worth it's weight in gold........P.S. indeed first always make sure you are getting sufficient hydration of the sinuses from a humidifier if you live anywhere except the Southeast or on the Coast by an ocean.

Persistance is Omnipotent

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:46 pm

It is also possiable that you are mouth-breathing, causing a drying out.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

RedThunder94

Post by RedThunder94 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:58 pm

[quote="roadwarrior"]I grew up with nosebleeds and lived with them most of my life (long before CPAP therapy). I finally got smart and went to a ENT doctor, who cauterized inside the upper area of the nose where it leads to the sinuses. I have not had a nosebleed since. What a Godsend. However, what I have gotten when either excessive dryness is present (as in Las Vegas or Phoenix) is waking to when I blow my nose some blood clots or bit of blood show up on the kleenex, but it is not flowing so to speak. The pressure of the xpap machines will increase the pressure upon the nasal tissues and therefore also the bloodvessels inside the nose and sinus (of which there are many). This will indeed increase the presence of blood via small broken bloodvessels as well as in some unfortunate cases, a flow of blood from the pressure. I highly recommend anyone who is experiencing a flow (not just presence) of blood due to this pressure see a ENT doctor and get cauterized. It is no big deal but worth it's weight in gold........P.S. indeed first always make sure you are getting sufficient hydration of the sinuses from a humidifier if you live anywhere except the Southeast or on the Coast by an ocean.