Autism and maternal apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: Autism and maternal apnea

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Snoring before or during pregnancy was found to be associated with significantly higher rates of pre-term delivery
My really bad snoring started during my last pregnancy and never went away. I had high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, and delivered early and she was tiny. She tried to come even earlier but they stopped the contractions with drugs but still she came 3 weeks early because my water broke. And I was exhausted and it took me a lot of time to recover. My first pregnancy was a breeze with no issues at all, I was back at university 2 weeks after I delivered.

ETA: She does not have autism but she does have thyroid issues.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

krstms

Post by krstms » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:49 pm

Wow I never even considered this. My son has Aspergers (mild autism) and I have OSA. I believe I've had it since childhood or teenage years. He was my first child. Both pregnancies were hard. I threw up constantly and bled off and on throughout. I wasn't overweight when I had my children so that wasn't the cause. My last pregnancy was really hard. I had gestational diabetes, bled several times with no known cause, and was extremely exhausted. I also threw up so much I lost weight and had to be put on the medicine chemo patients take to help them not get sick. I wonder if my untreated apnea had anything to do with any of this now that you brought it up. It stands to reason that if the mom isn't getting oxygen the baby might not get what they need either which could cause brain abnormalities, which might could cause autistic like symptoms. I wonder if anyone has ever studied this.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:11 am

krstms wrote:Wow I never even considered this. My son has Aspergers (mild autism) and I have OSA. I believe I've had it since childhood or teenage years. He was my first child. Both pregnancies were hard. I threw up constantly and bled off and on throughout. I wasn't overweight when I had my children so that wasn't the cause. My last pregnancy was really hard. I had gestational diabetes, bled several times with no known cause, and was extremely exhausted. I also threw up so much I lost weight and had to be put on the medicine chemo patients take to help them not get sick. I wonder if my untreated apnea had anything to do with any of this now that you brought it up. It stands to reason that if the mom isn't getting oxygen the baby might not get what they need either which could cause brain abnormalities, which might could cause autistic like symptoms. I wonder if anyone has ever studied this.
This is what I was thinking. . . have they even thought that this might be an issue? It seems that the studies in pregnant women with apnea and how it effects the baby is really very poor. Sometimes I wonder where scientist's brains are at.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:58 am

quietmorning wrote: This is what I was thinking. . . have they even thought that this might be an issue? It seems that the studies in pregnant women with apnea and how it effects the baby is really very poor. Sometimes I wonder where scientist's brains are at.
Other then doing population studies, just how are you going to design proper double blind studies?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:26 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
quietmorning wrote: This is what I was thinking. . . have they even thought that this might be an issue? It seems that the studies in pregnant women with apnea and how it effects the baby is really very poor. Sometimes I wonder where scientist's brains are at.
Other then doing population studies, just how are you going to design proper double blind studies?
I don't know that double blind studies would be necessary - it would be more of a longevity study - if the woman is diagnosed with apnea shortly after a birth - then the child is studied over the next ten to fifteen years to see what the long term effects might be - or for a life time, for that matter. Longevity studies are difficult to do and costly - so I don't know that it would happen any time soon. The percentage of effects on the child could be counted from there to aim toward more specific short term experiments. I think apnea and thyroid disease should be routinely screened in early pregnancy - then in apnea again at six months due to weight gain and fluid retention - but there's nothing to support the medical cost of it at this point.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:50 pm

It would sort of make sense that mom's apnea might increase the risk of apnea or other brain problems.

I think it's a sure thing that apnea during pregnancy is bad for the baby.

I don't know it there are any studies particularly about apnea vs. autism.

We really don't know much about the causes of autism other than that vaccines DON'T cause it. There's a whole lot of misinformation, and downright false information out there. I sure hope we do figure it out a lot better in the near future.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:33 pm

archangle wrote:It would sort of make sense that mom's apnea might increase the risk of apnea or other brain problems.

I think it's a sure thing that apnea during pregnancy is bad for the baby.

I don't know it there are any studies particularly about apnea vs. autism.

We really don't know much about the causes of autism other than that vaccines DON'T cause it. There's a whole lot of misinformation, and downright false information out there. I sure hope we do figure it out a lot better in the near future.
I know that we've come a LONG way since the 1970's and 80's . . . it was pretty pitiful back then.

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Sleep apnea and pregnancy is a really new area and you'll struggle to find any data on it. A lot of places are starting to investigate it and some say it's gonna be the "next big thing"; but you'll struggle to find any literature on it right now.

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:31 pm

It seems to "make sense" that an apnea is going to be harmful to a baby. But there's more to it. For example, the placenta is oxygen rich and may not be greatly affected by an apnea.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:43 am

BlackSpinner wrote:

I think all you could do is a develop a chart of tons of medical questions and give them to lots of mothers (both with kids that have autism and those without). Don't tell them what medical conditions you are looking for, so have the questions mixed in well. And then see if there are any patterns.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Loreena

Post by Loreena » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:26 am

Last edited by Loreena on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
+ Original Deluxe-Style Chinstrap + Nexcare Low Trauma tape

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:45 am

Loreena, I'm so sorry about your baby!

The problem I think (not with her in particular) is that there are still so many genetically based problems that can occur and conditions/diseases that doctors don't always really understand and it may just be too early to definitely say this or that problem was caused by mother's apnea (which itself is still mysterious in many ways). Certainly I would never attribute what happened to your baby to apnea, and even if there turned out to be a connection, it very well may have been incidental, or even brought on by the other ? genetic problems she had. I hope you don't blame yourself for not having gotten treated etc. before pregnancy!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:58 am

One interesting thing to remember is that a woman's eggs are created while she is still in the womb. And the egg she is created from was created while her mother was in the womb.

This is a good example of it.
The process is called transgenerational epigenetic inheritance. While DDT doesn’t mutate genes, exposure to it during key points in development—namely when sex organs are forming in the womb—can affect which genes are expressed.

“This doesn’t promote the disease, but it increases the susceptibility to develop a disease,” Skinner said.

borgready

Post by borgready » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 am

I have heard that the vaccines cause autism. They start giving babies vaccines right after their born with in like a week at most. Why even do that? They are pushing stuff into the baby that can cause problems when there is no need for it. You don't want to push harmful shots at a critical time of mental development. Then look at all the vaccines that are given to young kids now days. They push way to many vaccines at too young of age. Many of the vaccines are known to cause problems. If you have have a healthy kid and take them in for shots and they get sick that day or that week after then the shots are the cause. They try to say that it ain't the shots. Thats BS.

The whole vaccine agenda is big hoax that is there to mentally and physically impair people at a young age so they become a burden to the family and the system. There is a eugenics agenda behind it where they use the vaccines to control the population. A sick person will not be a productive person and that also means they won't be having healthy families. Try going without the vaccines and see how the system(govt) tries to force you to take them. If they were that great then people would want them. If you ask me the medical systems is rotten to the core. These wealthy elites believe in eugenics and they run big pharma. That means they set the agenda for the companies. Its like tobacco products were sold as good for you and the companies new different and were going out of their way to spike the products with poisons and chemicals to cause addiction. These vaccines companies are doing the same thing today. They engineer the nano tech or viruses that tag along with the viruses that you supposed to get. They could put anything in them and very few would know different. As long as you don't drop dead in the doctors office at the time they give the shots (and some do) then they can deny its the shots. The longer the time frame from the shots the less people assume it was the shots. They can engineer the viruses to activate at certain stages of human growth. So lets say that at 18 a virus goes active which starts to attack the reproductive organs. It won't kill you but it will leave the reproductive system working poorly. So its hard to have a kid if you try and if do then the kid is aborted due development problems or there is complications giving birth. So lets say you do have a kid that looks healthy. Well they try to over vaccinate them which may effect say 5%. If they make it through that then then the long term viruses take over and do their damage. So you go through 3 generations and most of those people are damaged to the point they can't reproduce without lots of expensive medical help. Insurance don't cover this. So a person has to be wealthy enough to pay for the treatments. Well now you got this obamacare being put in because the medical cost are going through the rough from all the messed up people. Obama care will ration healthcare to the most healthy and wealthy. So if your poor and sick your done for. You might get some kind of care but it will be something like painkillers that will end up killing you. This is diabolical but is very rationally thought out by those elites that are in charge and see it as their duty to do what they have to for their good. Notice thier family doesn't take the vaccines and most of the ones that are carrying out the orders don't vaccinate and if they do they get they stuff that doesn't have the killer virues in them.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:18 am

Borgready - I can't remember when I've read such a load of nonsense (I'm being polite here) in ages! It reads like the script of a very cheap horror movie.

"These vaccines companies are doing the same thing today. They engineer the nano tech or viruses that tag along with the viruses that you supposed to get. They could put anything in them and very few would know different. As long as you don't drop dead in the doctors office at the time they give the shots (and some do) then they can deny its the shots. The longer the time frame from the shots the less people assume it was the shots. They can engineer the viruses to activate at certain stages of human growth. So lets say that at 18 a virus goes active which starts to attack the reproductive organs. It won't kill you but it will leave the reproductive system working poorly."

The whole vaccines-cause-autism was disproved years ago and the rest of what you say about vaccines as well. Would you prefer to get polio and live in an iron lung forever? Would you be happy to have measles and become sterile? What does it take to get it through some peoples' skulls that these programs are for the BENEFIT of everyone?

Do you not think that of the millions of doctors all over the world, let alone just in the US, their children are not vaccinated? Do you think all those doctors don't know what's in the vaccines? Do you have any idea how paranoid that sounds?