nasal pillows info needed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bayourest

nasal pillows info needed

Post by bayourest » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:07 am

I've been using a quattro FX full face mask for about 3 yrs. As full face masks go, I'm pretty happy with this one. But overall, I'm sick of having a full face mask. I saw my sleep doctor yesterday and he suggested I try the "swift FX for her" . I was somewhat skeptical based on one previous try with pillows, but he changed the pressure on my machine (plus I've lost a significant amt of weight) and so I gave it a try last night. I was impressed with how comfortable it felt and how well the pillows seemed to fit. I had thought that the only difference between the "swift fx" and the "swift fx for her" was the color!! but maybe not, as this seemed to fit out of the box, and I dont recall having that feeling with the previous swift which I bought on eBay. The small size pillows were installed on the mask but after 5 hrs I think I need the xs. I tried out the xs pillows briefly this a m and they seem to fit well, so I'm pretty optimistic, and will see how I do tonight with xs. My ahi for last night was 1.5 and the mask fit was a smiley face so I can't complain.
a couple of questions: how often do you change masks with this one? and how often should I plan to change pillows? I recall reading posts here in the past about using lanisoh to get a good seal...is this necessary or recommended? are there other tips that would be helpful? I am really hoping that this mask will be a success for me as an alternate to the full face. I'm usually a compliant user and believer in cpap but this possibility is giving me a boost!
I do have intermittent problems with night time nasal congestion so this will motivate me on that score as well.
thanks for any advice
Bayou Rest

Lazer1234

Re: nasal pillows info needed

Post by Lazer1234 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 am

I use TapPap and love it. I have previously used swift LT for her and liked it, but TapPap is much better. No leaks and no head straps. Sturdy and comfortable. Gorgeous.

Everything I write I translate through Google Translate.
Hope you have patience with that, sometimes it can get a little crazy.
/Lazer1234

Jeannh

Post by Jeannh » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 am

You'll enjoy nasal pillows! The only difference between the FX and the FX for Her is color and the pillow sizes in the kit (S-M-L vs XS-S-M).

If you experience any leakage, using a bit of Lansinoh can be helpful, but don't overdo it or the pillows will be slipping and sliding all night. I prefer the optional Bella Loops (behind the ear) to the FX headgear, YMMV.

I wipe my nasal pillows daily with CPAP wipes, and give them a quick dunk in hot water and baking soda weekly (5 min simmering on the stove). They are insurance-covered to be replaced twice a month, the whole mask every 3 months.

Hope that's helpful!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:39 am

The "for Her" part seems to be the back strap length as near as I can tell. It's shorter.
Nasal pillows themselves it doesn't matter.
The Lansinoh lanolin ointment is optional. It may not be needed. I used it quite a bit at first but haven't used it for ages now.
It's useful to help with tenderness at the nostrils. Some people like the tackiness for helping seal but I haven't found that to be a huge difference.

The silicone part of the headgear will last forever with proper common sense care....So will the short hose assembly. The back strap might get a bit tired after 6 months or so but since you really don't ever have to change the back strap tension after initial adjustment..it really will last a long time.
It probably will get ugly before it wears out.

Nasal pillow life...it depends on individual factors I guess. I routinely got 3 to 6 months out of mine when I was using it but other do good to get a month of life. I only washed mine once a week..none of that daily washing stuff for me.
Check with your insurance to find out replacement schedule for the pillows. Medicare allows 2 per month.
Heck, I am still using the same nasal pillows with my Tap Pap that I started with the first of March when I changed from the Swift FX to the Tap Pap.
They look horrible but they still feel great.

I do prefer the Padacheek strap covers myself and I also found her barrel cozy quite nice.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 am

Many thanks for all this helpful info!!
I think the local DME only carries the ResMed line as far as I can tell. I'm not yet on medicare (next year) and I may have to make some changes then so might branch out to other brands if I really do well with the pillows.
just checked the other swift I had was swift LT so may have a different fit. I could never get the pillows to feel right with that one.
Bayourest

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:05 am

The Swift LT nasal pillows had a little different angle with their fit. Some people prefer it over the Swift FX. The Swift LT was the first mask I ever use when starting therapy. Used the Optlife during the sleep titration study but way too much "stuff" on my face and head with it. I got by with it until I got the LT then never looked back.
When the FX came out about a year later...I left the LT in the dust.
I like the most minimalistic approach that I can get by with.

If your insurance has adopted Medicare replacement schedule ....and many insurance companies do...you should be in good shape with the pillows..most people get quite a bit of life out of them. Insurance companies don't all follow medicare guidelines though...so be sure to find out what yours does.

Not all nasal pillow masks are created equal...there's a few that I have tried that didn't make it one night.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:04 am

I just looked up the Tap Pap and it looks very cool
I'll look forward to trying it
thanks

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:01 pm

As soon as January hits I am going to try the tap,pap. I like the Nuance Peo but I hate headgear hair, lol!

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14