Going under Anesthesia while having Central sleep apnea.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eeckel

Re: Going under Anesthesia while having Central sleep apnea.

Post by eeckel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:02 am

I've had anesthesia twice in the past 6 months. The anesthesiologist told me I had a difficult airway. This means that it is difficult to intubated me. Nevertheless I was intubated for both surgeries. On one occasion I remained intubated until fully awake. This was frightening because I was also restrained. On the other occasion it was removed before I woke up. The number of things they were monitoring in the recovery room was amazing to me. I assume respiration was monitored.

hueyville

Post by hueyville » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:53 am

Without ASV I can have over 200 central apnea attacks per night on a regular basis. That said I am home recovering from an ojtpatient proceedure. Out of curiosity figured up have had 14 general anesthesia proceedures this year. On average I have 8 to 10 surgeries per year and the centrals have never caused issue with anesthesia.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth

Bobshouse

Post by Bobshouse » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:10 am

Woke up once being rolled to the recovery room with 3 nurses trying to stick a tube down my throat.

old dude

Post by old dude » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:59 pm

On my last visit my sleep doc spent virtually the entire visit lecturing me on the dangers of anesthesia (to include even a colonoscopy) without your PAP machine. Wound up by saying that if any doctor said it wasn't necessary to have them call him before the surgery. There must have been an ugly incident somewhere as of late.

And as far as entrusting the call to an anesthesiologist-I wouldn't. A close friend of mine who is a stage IV throat cancer survivor recently had routine surgery. The anesthesiologist failed to read his chart to see that he required video intubation, resulting in unbelievable damage to my friend. He now has to add a liquifying product to his food and cough constantly while eating to keep food out of his lungs, but in spite of that he's been hospitalized three times this year since the surgery for pneumonia. He'll soon have to have a feeding tube installed. There's more damage than that but you get the point. I just wouldn't assume the gas guy has a handle on everything.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:24 pm

old dude wrote:On my last visit my sleep doc spent virtually the entire visit lecturing me on the dangers of anesthesia (to include even a colonoscopy) without your PAP machine. Wound up by saying that if any doctor said it wasn't necessary to have them call him before the surgery. There must have been an ugly incident somewhere as of late.
I just had a colonoscopy in October.

They knew from my chart that I was on APAP & they asked me if I had brought it with me. I had not brought it with me. Nor had I done so for my 1st Colonoscopy 7 years ago.

So, I asked if I needed it.
He said the sedation is so mild that I really did NOT need it, but if I had brought it, I could use it IF "I" wanted to.

Both the 1st & this colonoscopy went smoothly without a hitch.

I had my colonoscopy done at a location just 1 block away from a major hospital. Plus, this place is equipped as well as any hospital.

I would do it that way again withOUT hesitation.
old dude wrote
And as far as entrusting the call to an anesthesiologist-I wouldn't. A close friend of mine who is a stage IV throat cancer survivor recently had routine surgery. The anesthesiologist failed to read his chart to see that he required video intubation, resulting in unbelievable damage to my friend.
It IS very important that everyone actually DIRECTLY speak to the anesthesiologist just BEFORE any surgery. Use that discussion to point out those things that he really needs to know (including XPAP use).

Yes, if that information is already in your chart, he should already know it.
But, "I" would NOT take that chance.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

icipher

Post by icipher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. Scary about the guy with throat problems.... I smell a malpractice lawsuit.

Anyways, here is what my sleep doctor said about this...

"The central apneas pose no threat at the time of surgery. After surgery you may not be able to wear BiPAP ASV for sometime--ask ENT. During this time there is minimal risk to your health--but will be some compromise to sleep."

old dude

Post by old dude » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:56 pm

icipher wrote:Thanks for the replies. Scary about the guy with throat problems.... I smell a malpractice lawsuit.
That would be a fair assumption, given that he's a well-respected attorney. His sense of propriety is such that I knew better than to ask about it, but I'd guess he'd go after more than just money-he likely doesn't need any more. I'd guess some sort of sanctions would be targeted.

The damage was far more involved than just what I mentioned in my post.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Several years ago, I was still conscious while being intubated pre-op.
The next surgery, I made it a point to express my experience and desire to not have that happen again.

Olivia

Post by Olivia » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:58 pm

As a nurse who has worked in an endoscopy lab, I would never undergo a GI procedure without my cpap. You actually receive moderate not mild sedation and you are on your back. You receive multiple sedation drugs. I would want to take every precaution available to assure I am breathing. Yes, they give you oxygen, but, if you stop breathing its not going anywhere.