Defective S9 Escape? Cant Turn Off EPR....I think

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepygrumpy

Defective S9 Escape? Cant Turn Off EPR....I think

Post by sleepygrumpy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:48 pm

I used to use a Remstar Plus. It worked great but got damaged so I bought a new machine. Went with a Resmed S9 Escape. I turned off all the bells and whistles because I just want a continuous pressure of 8 going - the EPR doesn't work well with me. Even with it set properly, I can hear the pitch of the machine changing as I breathe in and out. I constantly wake up with a racing heart, etc indicating that its not working properly. I was told that the Elite came out just after the Escape and I am wondering if its because the Escape just doenst work properly and the engine is built so that the EPR is always on no matter what. I'm so tired. Anyone know or if I should go with a different machine?
Last edited by sleepygrumpy on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlackSpinner

Re: Defective S9 Escape?

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:20 pm

Both the Elite and escape came out at the same time. The only difference is that the escape won't tell you a damned thing how your treatment is doing.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

jamiswolf

Re: Defective S9 Escape? Cant Turn Off ERP....I think

Post by jamiswolf » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:30 pm

errrrRRrrrrpbbbtttttttTTfffffff
Last edited by jamiswolf on Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleepygrumpy

Post by sleepygrumpy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:30 am

Pugsy and Jasmin:
I know how to set the machine. My point was that the last machine wasnt capable of ERP so it blew at a constant pressure, and I never had these problems...that started when I switched machines. Thats why I assume its the ERP that wont turn off.

Jasmin...Done. The Saturn pic and others are at APOD http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html
My new pic is the hexagon at Saturn's north pole.
Nothing wrong with the planet Earth though.

sleepygrumpy

Post by sleepygrumpy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 am

Pugsy, I am not just sensitive to the noise. The noise is not the problem; its a symptom of an altering fan speed. And no, I dont use a humidifier.

I reference the older machine because the pressure was constant and the noise was constant. I bought a machine in the middle with cflex, which had the same problem and noise issue, and I only used it one night. Now this one claims to be able to turn off the ERP but the issues remain. I suppose its possible that my CPAP is broken, but it makes more sense that its an issue.

Rest assure? No Pugsy, I cant rest and I have seen over and over all over the world that people make false claims to sell something. Maybe the engine that makes ERP run, doesnt actually have the capability to turn off completely. This posting is a way of doing some research. Maybe someone on here has experienced the same thing. I will research in other ways also. Dont be so trusting in any company and naive in general.

islandboy5150

Post by islandboy5150 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:23 am

Pugsys about the best you can find on CPAP. Even in a doctors office. She's a respected authority on CPAP here, but at the same time everyone is trying to help best they can without the benefit of knowing you or seeing you. One has to make various assumptions until they get enough information to drill down to the root of the problem. Sometimes that's a lot easier said than done, but it's all done best as can be an as earnestly as humanly possible.

I have the same noise complaints about my new S9 AutoSet. It's the Cadillac of CPAP. I turned off EPR, turned it straight CPAP at 14, and I still could tell the flow would change as I breathed in and out by the noise the machine makes. I can't figure why, it just does. Thankfully I don't have any other issue besides being slightly irritated by it. I expected the s9 to be whisper quiet, barely audible and almost wouldn't know it was there, as some describe it. I was very disappointed, my expectations were probably too high. The S9 auto Cadillac makes way more noise brand new than does my 8 year old worn out fisher paykel 604 brick. I got used to it though. Some may not.

islandboy5150

Post by islandboy5150 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:30 am

LOL, just saw my equipment list says "resmed-s9-autoset cpap-machine-with-h5i-heated-humidifier for her." Hahaha! It's not just for her, lol. But, if you want to know something, I do use Secret " powder fresh " ( baby powder scented) anti perspirant.

sleepygrumpy

Post by sleepygrumpy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:11 am

Hitting your head indeed. Thats because you keep focusing on the noise and not the airflow. I will say it again since you dont seem to get it. The noise doesnt bother me. It is however a sign of the functioning of the machine engine. Its not a matter of rights either. If the pressure was constant, the fan speed should be constant and so the sound should be a constant pitch. But it isnt; it fluctuates. This is a search for information. Geeze

Your responses all show how you think the machine works according to what the seller tells you it should do. I am looking for how it actually works. Again, dont be so naive. Maybe mine is broken, maybe the machines in general just dont do what Resmed tells you they do. Do you actually believe everything a corporation tells you?

Lets agree on this, you dont understand what I am looking for or know the answer to my issue. In fact, my very first post said the ERP was turned off and you responded by telling me how to turn it off. You dont even read details on here. You just want to show people how smart you think you are. Please let others post and stop clogging up my question with your junk.
Last edited by sleepygrumpy on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:28 am

sleepygrumpy wrote:Hitting your head indeed. Thats because you keep focusing on the noise and not the airflow. I will say it again since you dont seem to get it. The noise doesnt bother me. It is however a sign of the functioning of the machine engine. Its not a matter of rights either. This is a search for information. Geeze

Your responses all show how you think the machine works according to what the seller tells you it should do. I am looking for how it actually works. Again, dont be so naive. Maybe mine is broken, maybe the machines in general just dont do what Resmed tell you they do. Do you actually believe everything a corporation tells you?

Lets agree on this, you dont understand what I am looking for or know the answer to my issue. In fact, my very first post said the ERP was turned off and you responded by telling me how to turn it off. You dont even read details on here. You just want to show poeple how smart you think you are. Please let others post and stop clogging up my question with your junk.
One of the first things you do when trying to help brain damaged people known as "users" is to make sure that they actually know what they are talking about and that all the switches have actually been set the way they say they are AND make sure they have actually turned the thing on and attached the parts together properly. Only then do you actually start to try and figure out what they think the problem is.

So lets agree you haven't got a clue as to what your problem really is because you can't see any data because you have a brick. Since we also can't see any data the only way to help you is to ask these kinds of questions. Since you just slammed the best person to help you with your unknown problems I suggest you just go to your DME and get help there or buy a new machine that gives you enough data details so you can use software to see the problems.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

sleepygrumpy

Post by sleepygrumpy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:31 am

That is an option. I just want to see if others have experienced the same thing. I believe the change in pitch is a sign that the fan speed is changing (even though they tell you it shouldnt) and so the pressure is changing. Thanks for your response. Anyone else experience the issues I mentioned?

islandboy5150

Post by islandboy5150 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 am

Yea, I agree with you spinner. Maybe also an appointment with a cardiologist that is knowledgeable in CPAP therapy would be a good place for info.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:09 am

Since you already know all the answers and obviously I was spinning my wheels trying to figure out some common sense usual issues first... in an effort to try to help you..I have see no reason to include any of my ideas so they have been removed.
I won't be bothering you any further.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ReadyforRest

Post by ReadyforRest » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:10 am

sleepygrumpy ... it isn't "ERP" as you keep stating. It's EPR. Exhalation Pressure Relief.

You know what ... I wrote you a long, detailed reply ... and then deleted it ... because of the way you treated Pugsy. And because I don't think you want to hear any constructive replies. You just want people to agree with you, that EPR isn't working on your machine. We can't possibly know if it's working or not from sitting at our computers in various places across North America and the world. Take it in to your DME. Get it assessed. Let them tell you if it's working or not.

You probably won't believe them either. So if you don't, then just go online and find another machine exactly like the old one that broke ... I'm sure there are vendors out there who have one lying around who would be happy to sell it to you.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:27 am

But the Respironics Plus that you started with won't help you, either. That is also a brick. You need an Elite or a Pro.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:22 pm

Even without EPR, the newer machines vary the fan speed between inhale and exhale in order to keep the pressure at the mask constant. You will hear a variation in the sound. The newer machines react faster than the old machines like the legacy REMstar.

With the older machines, you'd tend to get higher pressure on exhale and less on inhale. Newer machines are more constant pressure, but the fan speed changes more.

You need a data capable machine to get any data on what's going wrong.

You may need a new sleep study or different pressures.

Of course, you could have a defective Escape. I don't think they all do EPR whether you tell it to or not. Try turning EPR on and seeing if you can feel/hear any difference.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.