Should a sleep study be stopped early and in this way?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
4betterO2

Should a sleep study be stopped early and in this way?

Post by 4betterO2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:02 am

My titration sleep study was stopped early. After I called the RT because I had a discomfort problem she came and rearranged some leads, moved some very fast to different places then left. About 7 minutes later, she came back, angry that I had not fallen asleep, and she stopped the study, clearly ahead of closing time. Comparing with a prior study, I see the last 50 minutes are unaccounted for in this one, with the data graph on the report a solid line for that last period of the sleep study. Furthermore, besides disconnecting the leads, the video was stopped also. It felt rather unnerving, having to sleep suddenly without monitoring, in a room you cannot lock. Was all this a normal procedure?
I need to know if the behavior of this RT was normal?
PR Dreamstation BiPap ASV, WISP nasal mask with magnets

mollete

Re: Should a sleep study be stopped early and in this way?

Post by mollete » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:35 am

4betterO2 wrote:My titration sleep study was stopped early. After I called the RT because I had a discomfort problem she came and rearranged some leads, moved some very fast to different places then left. About 7 minutes later, she came back, angry that I had not fallen asleep, and she stopped the study, clearly ahead of closing time. Comparing with a prior study, I see the last 50 minutes are unaccounted for in this one, with the data graph on the report a solid line for that last period of the sleep study. Furthermore, besides disconnecting the leads, the video was stopped also. It felt rather unnerving, having to sleep suddenly without monitoring, in a room you cannot lock. Was all this a normal procedure?
When she bent over you to rearrange the leads, did she catch you staring down her blouse? That tends to get you thrown out.

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:38 am

Now, there's something I wouldn't have thought of.

Last edited by SleepyBobR on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mollete

Post by mollete » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:59 am

SleepyBobR wrote:Now, there's something I wouldn't have thought of.
Oh yeah, I mean we only got one side of the story here.

Frankly, I tend to get a little suspicious when somebody says "I was just minding my own business when all of a sudden this person starts clubbing me with a bat!"

Further, given the explanation thus far:
4betterO2 wrote:After I called the RT because I had a discomfort problem...
for all we know, this might have been upon disturbance of a REM period, where one of the physiologic events is "tumescence" (right, go look it up), and if ol' 4BO2 is kinda drawing attention to that "discomfort", then he should consider himself lucky that he didn't get a hefty dose of the aforementioned Louisville Slugger Therapy.

old dude

Post by old dude » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:39 am

mollete wrote:

Frankly, I tend to get a little suspicious when somebody says "I was just minding my own business when all of a sudden this person starts clubbing me with a bat!"

for all we know, this might have been upon disturbance of a REM period, where one of the physiologic events is "tumescence" (right, go look it up), and if ol' 4BO2 is kinda drawing attention to that "discomfort", then he should consider himself lucky that he didn't get a hefty dose of the aforementioned Louisville Slugger Therapy.
Mollete, it's interesting that you now seem to think that violence in the sleep lab might be a justifiable response to an affront that you are only wildly speculating might have occurred.

At least you're flexible...

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:01 am

I'm a little curious about you feeling the need to lock the room

The tech needs to have immediate access to you the patient & the room in the event of any health emergency or equipment malfunction & to be able to disconnect the wiring harness to allow for a requested bathroom break, etc..

Dave

c
4betterO2 wrote:My titration sleep study was stopped early. After I called the RT because I had a discomfort problem she came and rearranged some leads, moved some very fast to different places then left. About 7 minutes later, she came back, angry that I had not fallen asleep, and she stopped the study, clearly ahead of closing time. Comparing with a prior study, I see the last 50 minutes are unaccounted for in this one, with the data graph on the report a solid line for that last period of the sleep study. Furthermore, besides disconnecting the leads, the video was stopped also. It felt rather unnerving, having to sleep suddenly without monitoring, in a room you cannot lock. Was all this a normal procedure?

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

biker

Post by biker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 am

mollete wrote:

Wow, this is a wild assumption. Maybe he had a machine gun he was threatening everyone with too. (Yeah, I've read too many romance novels too, Mollette)

mollete

Post by mollete » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 am

biker wrote:...Mollette...
Small "m", one "t" please.

mollete

Post by mollete » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:08 am

old dude wrote:Mollete, it's interesting ...
"IMHO", I think the word "interesting" is overused.

akcpapguy

Post by akcpapguy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:11 am

I'm gonna have to agree with Mollete on this one.
Canada...I can't say anything nice, so I won't say anything at all.

So many cats, so few recipes.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:38 am

When I was in ICU I filed a grievance on an ICU nurse. I know it will not go anywhere but if they get more reports on the same nurse they may investigate. Not all professionals behave in a professional manner.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:54 am

Stormynights wrote:When I was in ICU I filed a grievance on an ICU nurse. I know it will not go anywhere but if they get more reports on the same nurse they may investigate. Not all professionals behave in a professional manner.
Totally agree Stormy and I am sorry you experienced that. Good for you for taking action.

49er

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:01 am

I just saw a video on the morning news of an 8th grade teacher throwing the F-Bomb around at her 13yo students. This is not how professionals should be behaving no matter what the provocation.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Foggy1

Post by Foggy1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:43 am

But to actually address the original question... I have had a study stopped early, but the reason was explained to me. It is hard to say whether your experience was normal behavior by the tech, without knowing the reason she stopped. Perhaps you could call the sleep center and ask for more information so you can make that determination. But having the room unlocked is standard procedure.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:10 am

At my sleep study the tech kept telling me anytime you want to end the sleep study it is OK. I kept telling her that I was OK.. Lets keep going..

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19