ResMed Mirage Liberty Cleaning Frequency/Rain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JH-

ResMed Mirage Liberty Cleaning Frequency/Rain

Post by JH- » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi all!

I checked through other posts and didn't quite find an answer and have found a lot of conflicting information. Am hoping to get a practical answer.

I just started using this mask about 10 days ago (have only been on AutoPAP since 8/16), and this mask has made such a difference from the last 'firefighters mask' I was trying to use. I'm a stomach sleeper and a mouth breather, so this has been a real life saver. It was like pulling teeth with my DME to get an appropriate mask, but thankfully I was able to be tactfully assertive enough to get the uncaring/non-motivated technician to "utilize his vast experience and expertise because I certainly didn't know what was best for me." What a crock - well, OK, it was true, but you shouldn't have to kiss butt and stroke someone's ego just to get them to do their job. Sorry, small rant. The sleep deprivation has been stressing me out.

Anyway....after being fitted for my mask (size small mask and small nasal pillows) the technician gave me two additional sets of pillows. Here are my questions:

How long do the pillows last?

I don't know how often to clean my mask. I'm a mouth breather, and even though I brush my teeth and use Biotene mouth rinse before bed, the first few breaths of the night are always hair-raisingly corpse-like. Argh.

As far as the frequency - how often do I just clean the whole apparatus and how often do I need to take apart the whole thing and clean the individual pieces? Like I said, I've read so much conflicting information.

Also, I'm using this mask with a ResMed S9 and humidifier and heated hose. I keep my humidity temp at 70F and the level at 6. I'm still finding condensation in my hose sometimes. I live in MI (the weather has really been fluctuating but I try to keep my apartment at 70F). Even if I don't have condensation in my heated hose I still wind up with condensation in the tubing of the mask. That is what makes me wake up every morning - I either start getting a leak (although I'm going to try the panty hose trick - don't ask if you don't know...it seems pretty weird), or I have a ton of condensation in the short clear mask tubing and cold water starts running into my nostrils. That will make you wide awake real quick!!!

Last night was the first time I slept through the night - almost 8 hours. That is good for using the machine, but pre-machine I was putting in 10-14 a night. I still take a 2 hour nap every day. I must say, the naps are thoroughly satisfying and the best sleep EVER!

I would really appreciate and input on the cleaning questions.

I would also appreciate any suggestions you may have about the intermittent condensation problems. The DME has said to come in and see a technician. I don't see the point b/c it takes at least 6 hours before the water starts running in my mask.

Thanks so much!! I love this site. I have found such good information and everyone is so helpful and supportive.

Julie
Julie

Julie

Re: ResMed Mirage Liberty Cleaning Frequency/Rain

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:17 pm

You might have GERD (acid reflux) like a lot of the rest of us, or some other gastric problem that makes those few breaths when starting out not pleasant - and brushing won't help, but being careful about what you eat and when (as in e.g. no alcohol or coffee, or anything acidic for as many hours as possible before bed might help. Or ask your MD about it.

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Julie,

If you've done a lot of searching or reading on this board then you know when you ask a question about cleaning you're going to get a wide range of responses. Everything from "You clean those things" to those that think everything needs to be broken down and made operating room sterile each and every night. You're just going to have to figure out what makes sense to you.

That said, here's what I do. I use Wal-Mart generic non-scented, non-aloe baby wiped on the pillows every night. I use pad-a-cheek liners so don't bother to wipe down the rest of the mask. Every Sunday I wash the liners and take the big, soft, part of the cushion off of the hard plastic and wash them both down with Dove unscented bar soap. I haven't taken the pillows off separably to wash them in a long time, I leave them in the big part and wash them.

As far as how long the cushions last - I notice mine start to get a little soft and flimsy after about 6 months.

I also have the Resmed S9, humidifier, and heated hose. Rather than set separate temp and humidity I left it on auto and set the temp at 71 and have never had a rain-out problem.

Randy

robblaw

Post by robblaw » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 pm

1) when you mention the "cushion" u r referring to the inner part of a full cpap face mask right? the part that
contacts your face. i have a resmed mirage & have had it for about 6 months. everytime the "supplies"
person calls, i thus far havent needed anything really. i clean it weekly but was nvr told the cushion wld need
replaced, only the filter & maybe the tubing. shld the cushion b replaced every 6 months? i have noticed it has been
"flimsy" recently. what about the tubing? how often shld it b replaced?

2) also, what shld i use to clean the cushion & tubing? i have been using ivory mild soap but the smell is nauseating
the first few nites aftr cleaning & recently there r water or soap spots aftr it air dries.

3) finally, is there any kind of "wipes" i can use to clean the cushion & tubing as mentioned in the first post? sorry this is
such a loaded post but i just joined the forum 2nite & saw this related topic. thanks in advance.

oak

Post by oak » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm

robblaw wrote:1) when you mention the "cushion" u r referring to the inner part of a full cpap face mask right? the part that
contacts your face. i have a resmed mirage & have had it for about 6 months. everytime the "supplies"
person calls, i thus far havent needed anything really. i clean it weekly but was nvr told the cushion wld need
replaced, only the filter & maybe the tubing. shld the cushion b replaced every 6 months? i have noticed it has been
"flimsy" recently. what about the tubing? how often shld it b replaced?

2) also, what shld i use to clean the cushion & tubing? i have been using ivory mild soap but the smell is nauseating
the first few nites aftr cleaning & recently there r water or soap spots aftr it air dries.

3) finally, is there any kind of "wipes" i can use to clean the cushion & tubing as mentioned in the first post? sorry this is
such a loaded post but i just joined the forum 2nite & saw this related topic. thanks in advance.
1. yes that is the cushion. replace cushion or tubing when you start getting leaks.
2. i can relate to your "smell is nauseating" comment. i am very sensitive and wash only with very hot water or a tiny amt of vinegar in water. rinse very well. no smell. others have said they use no scent Dawn dishliquid. havent tried it.
3. yes there are cpap wipes, unscented baby wipes, etc. I dont use them but some do.

robblaw

Post by robblaw » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:34 pm

well I am starting to get some leaks but I think its mainly bc I don't have or like my mask glued to my face like Bane from the Dark Knight Rises. It seals with a loose fit. I have felt it leak a bit more recently though (ironically around 6 months) so Its pbly time for a new one...although like i said, the company never told me the cushion ever needed replaced. Common sense maybe I guess but for the amount the whole machine & accessories cost, you'd think the cushion would be ultra-durable material made in secretly located scientific labs. lol. Thanks for the info. What about tubing? Same 6 month repl. cycle?

JH-

Post by JH- » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:37 am

Randyp1234 wrote: Rather than set separate temp and humidity I left it on auto and set the temp at 71 and have never had a rain-out problem.

Randy
How do you leave it on auto?
Julie

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:47 pm

JH- wrote:
Randyp1234 wrote: Rather than set separate temp and humidity I left it on auto and set the temp at 71 and have never had a rain-out problem.

Randy
How do you leave it on auto?
The default setting is Auto so unless you changed it your DME must have. It's in the option section of the clinical setup menu.

Randy

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:07 pm

oak wrote: yes that is the cushion. replace cushion or tubing when you start getting leaks.
As an alternative to replacing the cushion search this site for "boiling cushions". No joke... it's been a topic for years.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.