tooth extraction and cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jess

tooth extraction and cpap

Post by jess » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi everyone -- it's been a year since I have posted as I've had no problems with my therapy and I LOVE it. However, I now have a concern. I am having a back molar extracted and have read that any suction can cause a dry socket ---- can't use straws, spit, smoke etc ------ what about using my machine --- that does cause a suction? Has anyone had an experience with this? I can't imagine not using my machine for 3 days.

greatunclebill

Re: tooth extraction and cpap

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:41 pm

your dentist would be the best one to answer this. a couple days without the machine can't possibly be as bad as a dry socket and all that goes with it.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

ems

Post by ems » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:41 pm

I think you should speak to your dentist before the surgery. You don't want dry socket! I bet he/she has encountered this before and can advise you. Good luck with this.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:47 pm

I agree with greatunclebill and ems, that's a question for your Dentist to answer.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Kitatonic

Post by Kitatonic » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Just a few months ago, I had a back molar extracted and simultaneously the socket filled with bone grafting for a dental implant next year. Unlike the molar extractions before PAP, so far my healing is on schedule for the implant. I suspect the three month healing delay with the previous extractions before PAP was due to the dry mouth from snoring with my mouth wide open. Dry socket occurs if you disturb the blood clot, so since my socket was filled,maybe this was not a concern to use my PAP about six hours after surgery. I agree with the others to fully discuss with your dentist. I would take your mask in to show the dentist and schedule surgery early in the morning allowing more time for the clot to stabilize.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:08 pm

I had an extraction and never had a problem but YMMV.

SockPuppet

Post by SockPuppet » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm

jess wrote:I can't imagine not using my machine for 3 days.

Don't sleep without the machine!

Follow all the instruction here to prevent dry socket - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dry-so ... prevention

a couple days without the machine can't possibly be as bad as a dry socket and all that goes with it.
It most certainly could be worse. She could have a heart attack or stroke caused by untreated sleep apnea.

sleepy1235

Post by sleepy1235 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Would a dentist know anything about Apnea? Just asking.

Unsuspected severe sleep apne

Post by Unsuspected severe sleep apne » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:56 pm

sleepy1235 wrote:Would a dentist know anything about Apnea? Just asking.
Good question, that is why I mentioned taking in the mask. Would different masks have less suction? This is likely to occur to me again, since root canals seem to fracture my roots. But my OSA is so severe that I would insist the dentist talk to my sleep doctor and figure some way I could continue PAP.

tetragon

Post by tetragon » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:18 pm

When I went to my local dental school to have an implant placed, I wrote in my chart that I have sleep apnea in the medical history section. I didn't hear anything relating to that until I went in for my first round of surgery.

Then, I was sitting in a chair after a pre-op X-ray when Dr. Prof came to ask Dr. Student about me and the procedure that Dr. Student would be performing. One of Dr. P's questions was "Healthy?". Dr S's response to that was "Yes. Wait, she has sleep apnea!". Upon hearing that, Dr. P put his arm around Dr. S's shoulder, and led him away from me while asking about how he would deal with sleep apnea in someone being sedated.

That round of surgery went smoothly. I didn't even have to lay flat on my back, just reclined a bit. The day after that, Dr. S phoned, and his last question was if I was using my CPAP. Of course I did, and my recovery went smoothly. Well, it did for the first six weeks, then I had a complication unrelated to CPAP usage and sleep apnea.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm

I had an extraction... only issue I had was where the mask hit on the side of my face was where the tooth was pulled... so it hurt.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:38 pm

I had a toothe pulled and used my machine about 2 hours later. My main problem was the straps making my mouth sore. I didn't have any issues, but I use a FFM and I am pretty sure I sleep with my mouth closed most of the time anyway.

jzap

Post by jzap » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:13 pm

I had a tooth extraction in May (rear molar). Using a nasal mask separates the nasal passage from the mouth (if you use the tongue on the roof method), so the mouth is at atmospheric pressure and doesn't affect the treatment of the extraction. I just followed the instructions from the dental surgeon (salt water rinses, no straws, etc) and everything went normally.

I don't know much about using a FF mask, but it seems to me that treating apnea with a FF mask would cause pressure, not suction.

SW Ohio

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:25 am

Last Thursday, 9/5, I had TWO teeth pulled. (#29 & #30) Five hours latter I went to bed with my mask on. Slept like a baby, no problems whatsoever.

I've had a lot of dental work done, and the PAP itself never caused me any problems. There were times when I had to switch from my nasal mask to nasal pillows, but that was only because of the pressure of the mask on my face hurt, and not related to the dental work.

On a side note: I've had dry sockets before. BEFORE starting PAP, but thankfully, none since becoming a "Hose Head"!

ironhands

Post by ironhands » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 am

My dentist uses a CPAP