RBD: Rem Behavior Disorder: 40% Develop Parkinsons Disease

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DavidCarolina

RBD: Rem Behavior Disorder: 40% Develop Parkinsons Disease

Post by DavidCarolina » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 am

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/ ... -and-sleep

90 percent are male, they act out during REM, lack sleep paralysis typical of REM sleep, often have brain stem lesions,
frequently are on klonapin, and eventually develop parkinsons or another similar neurological disorder

***But i cant help wondering how many of these had OSA, and didnt have lesions--they simply had falling oximetry
leading to nightmares which caused them to act out physically when they normally wouldnt do so

OR if OSA LEADS to brain lesions eventually if untreated (i understand that most people with sleep apnea are untreated
or non compliant)

49er

Re: RBD: Rem Behavior Disorder: 40% Develop Parkinsons Disease

Post by 49er » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:48 am

DavidCarolina wrote:http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/ ... -and-sleep

90 percent are male, they act out during REM, lack sleep paralysis typical of REM sleep, often have brain stem lesions,
frequently are on klonapin, and eventually develop parkinsons or another similar neurological disorder

***But i cant help wondering how many of these had OSA, and didnt have lesions--they simply had falling oximetry
leading to nightmares which caused them to act out physically when they normally wouldnt do so

OR if OSA LEADS to brain lesions eventually if untreated (i understand that most people with sleep apnea are untreated
or non compliant)
Hi again DavidInCarolina,

You might want to check out these google links regarding antidepressants affecting Rem Sleep:

http://tinyurl.com/lt98snz

While the sleep foundation article is definitely concerning, there might be more to the story. Also, since many folks seemed to have been on Klonopin long term, I wonder what effect the drug had on sleep. I haven't admittedly seen any research but it just seems like psych meds can have strange side effects long term in vulnerable people.

49er

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:10 am

Wasn't aware of that apparent correlation. My father had RBD and was quite active while dreaming - dangerously so. Although this was long ago, knowing what I know now, he also had severe obstructive apnea. I have to wonder if the RBD would have even been an issue if he hadn't had OSA. I think there's a chance low oxygen and sleep deprivation were causal. He died too young to know if Parkinson's might have developed. I'm wondering how many of that 40% with RBD who developed Parkinson's may have also had untreated OSA.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:49 am

It doesnt seem much of a stretch to think that untreated severe OSA could cause brain lesions and any other neurological problem
if untreated long term.

Sorry to hear of your father. My dad is just like me----kicks out at "attackers" in his sleep.

Much of this behavior is gone now that im compliant.

Before I was diagnosed they thought i might have MS and had a scan. No lesions. Might have gotten lucky and avoided future
problems.

But the study of these lesions sure leads to a lot of other questions regarding any other neurological issues that are undiagnosed.