Obamacare: Unions sick of it + Youth may destroy it

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
The Choker

Obamacare: Unions sick of it + Youth may destroy it

Post by The Choker » Fri May 24, 2013 7:00 pm

This doesn't look good for Unions. Their membership is declining and now it may decline more rapidly.
some unions leaders have grown frustrated and angry about what they say are unexpected consequences of the new law — problems that they say could jeopardize the health benefits offered to millions of their members.

Full article: http://www.benefitspro.com/2013/05/24/s ... I.facebook
Plus our youth may destroy Obamacare. (If it was not destroyed before it was signed into law.)
The system will rely on young — and presumably healthier — consumers entering the market. Everyone needs to sign up for insurance or pay a fine beginning in 2014. That’s one of the big potential downfalls of the law: Younger Americans might not opt to sign up for insurance, and choose to pay the penalty instead.

The result? A disproportionate number of older and sicker people purchasing insurance, which will raise premiums while also discouraging even more from enrolling.

Full article: http://www.benefitspro.com/2013/05/22/w ... c.facebook
T.C.

The Choker

Re: Obamacare: Unions sick of it + Youth may destroy it

Post by The Choker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:33 pm

This is absolutely appalling! The IRS union has found out what is in Obamacare and they want to be exempt from it. These are the people who will be responsible for checking on you and arresting you if you don't comply. Now the IRS does not want to comply!

Obama/Pelosi/Reid - Tyrants!

Two weeks ago, representatives of three large labor unions fired off a harsh letter to Democratic leaders in Congress, complaining that Obamacare would “shatter…our hard-earned health benefits” and create “nightmare scenarios” for their members. Today, we learn that the National Treasury Employees Union—the union that includes employees of the Internal Revenue Service—is asking its members to write letters to their Congressmen, stating that they are “very concerned” about legislative efforts requiring IRS and Treasury employees to enroll in the Obamacare exchanges.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapotheca ... exchanges/
T.C.

rd1978

Post by rd1978 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:32 pm

When are people going to learn . . . Elections count!
Severe (AHI 65.1) Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2013
Began CPAP use July 10, 2013
Diagnosed with Complex SA in August
Switched to ASV in October

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:13 pm

Choker, since when did you start becoming concerned about Unions?

49er
The Choker wrote:This doesn't look good for Unions. Their membership is declining and now it may decline more rapidly.
some unions leaders have grown frustrated and angry about what they say are unexpected consequences of the new law — problems that they say could jeopardize the health benefits offered to millions of their members.

Full article: http://www.benefitspro.com/2013/05/24/s ... I.facebook
Plus our youth may destroy Obamacare. (If it was not destroyed before it was signed into law.)
The system will rely on young — and presumably healthier — consumers entering the market. Everyone needs to sign up for insurance or pay a fine beginning in 2014. That’s one of the big potential downfalls of the law: Younger Americans might not opt to sign up for insurance, and choose to pay the penalty instead.

The result? A disproportionate number of older and sicker people purchasing insurance, which will raise premiums while also discouraging even more from enrolling.

Full article: http://www.benefitspro.com/2013/05/22/w ... c.facebook

ellen1159

Post by ellen1159 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:26 pm

Choker:

I've got another idea. Those of us who are too young for Medicare but unemployed and have pre-existing conditions can't get or keep coverage with the existing system. I've been paying my own premiums since my divorce six years ago despite not being able to get a full time job (age discrimination on top of bad economy). Now my private health insurance carrier just cancelled my plan effective Dec. 31. If it weren't for Obamacare, I don't know what I would do.

It's easy to criticize Obamacare if you're already covered by an employer or qualify for Medicare.

Humidifier: Respironics heated humidifier
Mask: F&P Eson Nasal mask
(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

ems

Post by ems » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:58 pm

ellen1159 wrote:Choker:

I've got another idea. Those of us who are too young for Medicare but unemployed and have pre-existing conditions can't get or keep coverage with the existing system. I've been paying my own premiums since my divorce six years ago despite not being able to get a full time job (age discrimination on top of bad economy). Now my private health insurance carrier just cancelled my plan effective Dec. 31. If it weren't for Obamacare, I don't know what I would do.

It's easy to criticize Obamacare if you're already covered by an employer or qualify for Medicare.

I agree with you, Ellen, and I'm so glad you will have health insurance next year!

But, don't expect Choker to get it. His dislike of Obama/Obamacare is over the top.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 pm

"America does not have a functioning democracy at this point in time"
-- Jimmy Carter

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/1 ... 16930.html

I've been trying to tell people that for a few years now but most think I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist ... I guess the theory is beginning to spread

The total US healthcare costs only amount to about $2.25 trillion ... JP Morgan alone carries about $60 trillion in their fraudulent derivatives market ... so healthcare is really insignificant in terms of the overall picture of our corrupt corporate-government fascist mess.
Last edited by DreamStalker on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

CowFish

Post by CowFish » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:49 pm

I am a widow currently with insurance through my employer. I am thinking about going out on my own and doing free lance work sometime in 2014. So now I have a serious question about where to get insurance - not trying to challenge anyone or start an argument.

ellen1159 wrote: If it weren't for Obamacare, I don't know what I would do.
What will you do?

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:06 pm

CowFish wrote:I am a widow currently with insurance through my employer. I am thinking about going out on my own and doing free lance work sometime in 2014. So now I have a serious question about where to get insurance - not trying to challenge anyone or start an argument.

ellen1159 wrote: If it weren't for Obamacare, I don't know what I would do.
What will you do?
I'll tell you what I'm doing ... I'm getting myself as healthy as I possibly can to become self-sufficient and unplug from the whole system as it crumbles into oblivion. People need to learn to feed themselves, care for their own health, defend themselves, and stop depending on government and corporations to run their lives cuz sometime within our baby-boomer lifetime, all of that is going to go away and you will all be left to fend for yourselves.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:31 pm

The U.M.W.A, is finished with Obama's lying dictatorship, now in our time of energy needs, closing coal power plants and mines to make the energy crunch worse, bringing on the collapse of our country. Everything he does is designed to bring on martial law and complete takeover of the Sheeples. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:10 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/2 ... lp00000009

"British royal born in fanciest ward: $15,000. Average US birth: billed $30,000; paid $18,000. What's wrong here?" Elisabeth Rosenthal of the New York Times tweeted this week.

The historic Lindo Wing of St. Mary's Hospital, where the Duchess of Cambridge delivered her son on Monday, has a birthing pool, satellite TV, Internet access, a catering staff and wine list, and a routine maternity stay costs around $15,000. As Rosenthal pointed out, and reported in a stunning article last month, that money wouldn't go far for an expectant mother in the U.S.

"The average total price charged for pregnancy and newborn care was about $30,000 for a vaginal delivery and $50,000 for a C-section, with commercial insurers paying out an average of $18,329 and $27,866," she wrote, citing a recent Truven Health Analytics report.
And you have the highest infant mortality rate. Great job guys!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:03 am

The high cost of health care and everything else in this country is directly due to the CEOs and upper echelons of business and the salaries, benefits and perks they syphon off the business world.

New York Times October 2012
... "Nearly half of all revenue on Wall Street is earmarked for compensation ... "

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Slinky wrote:The high cost of health care and everything else in this country is directly due to the CEOs and upper echelons of business and the salaries, benefits and perks they syphon off the business world.

New York Times October 2012
... "Nearly half of all revenue on Wall Street is earmarked for compensation ... "
Sorry, but that makes no sense at all. All the projections are that health care cost will sky rocket under the ill conceived Obamacare. And we'll be paying for it in creative ways--like having to upgrade your home to new government standards before you can sell it, taxes on clothing and dozens of other hidden fees. This is a huge clusterflock that wasn't even read totally by the people who passed it. And now the administration is backing off on full implementation before the mid term elections because they know what's going to hit the fan when this monstrosity goes into effect. And this has nothing at all to do with how much corporate CEOs make. That's the old tried and true "take the money away from the wealthy and give everyone a share" argument . The class warfare gambit is back in fashion because there's a new younger generation that hasn't heard it before. And they are the ones who will REALLY get stuck under Obamacare.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Goofproof wrote:Everything he does is designed to bring on martial law and complete takeover of the Sheeples. Jim
It wasn't too long ago that these same words were said about President Bush (the younger). For every person saving the world in one direction, there's always someone trying to save it in the equal and opposite direction. Frankly, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. Given the total uselessness of both parties and the equal uselessness of big media, I begin to question whether any sitting president from any party has any real power.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

PST

Post by PST » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:10 pm

The Choker wrote:This is absolutely appalling! The IRS union has found out what is in Obamacare and they want to be exempt from it. These are the people who will be responsible for checking on you and arresting you if you don't comply. Now the IRS does not want to comply!

Obama/Pelosi/Reid - Tyrants!
Two weeks ago, representatives of three large labor unions fired off a harsh letter to Democratic leaders in Congress, complaining that Obamacare would “shatter…our hard-earned health benefits” and create “nightmare scenarios” for their members. Today, we learn that the National Treasury Employees Union—the union that includes employees of the Internal Revenue Service—is asking its members to write letters to their Congressmen, stating that they are “very concerned” about legislative efforts requiring IRS and Treasury employees to enroll in the Obamacare exchanges.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapotheca ... exchanges/
Choker,

There is nothing personal about the fact that I comment on many of your Obamacare posts. I've never started an OT Obamacare post on this forum, not ever, but I cannot resist commenting when I think someone has his facts wrong. It's the post that draws my interest, not the poster.

You obviously don't understand Obamacare, despite all the time that has passed, or you wouldn't post what you did about the IRS employees. No one who gets normal health insurance through an employer is required to -- or even permitted to -- sign up for coverage through the insurance exchanges. That includes federal employees.* Obamacare is about catching the people who fall through the cracks now. What the Treasury employees are concerned about is a Republican bill to abolish health insurance for federal employees and require all federal employees to switch to buying their own coverage on the exchanges. The article you quote from makes that clear; I don't know how you missed it.
In April, [Rep. Dave] Camp [(R., Mich.)] introduced legislation to put all federal employees on the exchanges, in response to [false] reports that members of Congress and their staff were seeking an exemption from the provision in Obamacare that requires them to enroll in the exchanges. [The "false" is my editorial comment.]
You can read the letter itself to see that it is the Camp bill they don't like. Obviously employees who are covered by an employer plan as a benefit of employment would not like to be kicked out and have to pay for coverage themselves. I wouldn't like it either. I'm happy on my employer's plan, and I'll still be happy a year from now. But I'm grateful that now I actually have an option if I should lose my job or wish to strike out on my own before I'm old enough for Medicare. Before Obamacare, there was no place for overweight 60-year-olds who've had cancer twice. It's what Cowfish should look to if she decides to go freelance.

*Except members of Congress and their staff members, who are required to buy their coverage on the exchanges. Reports that Congress was trying to change this were complete discredited months ago.