Respironics Confusing names---UPDATED guide for Newbies

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
eaglett1111

Re: Respironics Confusing names---UPDATED guide for Newbies

Post by eaglett1111 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:56 pm

Well I don't know if "fun" is the word, but I'm really glad I found this board.

There's so much information. Kind of like deciding to make a necklace and walking into a bead store. I often turn right around and walk out because there are so many choices. This is more important than a necklace, obviously, so I'll keep stumbling along till I get it right.

Can't wait till I, too, can put on my comment line that I look and feel younger than I have in years!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:21 pm

For clarification; "razzle-dazzle" is a moniker attached to an illegal card game (often played at a carnival)
where the dealer makes up all the rules-on the fly-so there's NO WAY you can win!
Sound familiar?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:41 pm

Giving this a bump for any newbies using the Respironics machines.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sol

Post by sol » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:03 am

Identifying PR System One REMStar 60 Series Machines from the previous version
by carolyngoodman (post #9 & #13)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80886&p=744531#p744531

gigawhat

Post by gigawhat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Sorry guys, I have been reading all this stuff on which machine means what and I -still- can't quite figure out WHICH machine it is.

What I do know:
Philips
Respironics
System One
Darker grey panel glass
No heated hose
Metal disc on bottom of water tank
Auto Bi-level with bi-flex (words on glass)
code P760 under computer side box
(no "Remstar" word anywhere)
little SD card in the slot

The descriptions I've come across here say the system 60 should have a "DS60xxxx" number on there and mine doesn't. Yet it has the darker grey glass around the window. Again, no remstar word anywhere.

So which is this still the "PR System One Remstar series 60" ?

According to some other documentation here, it makes a difference for the software and THAT is what I am interested in finding! My goal is to monitor myself eventually. Eventually because I can see this is serious stuff that can affect your heart, CO2 levels and breathing if you don't do it all just so so. But I want to understand my readings from the night sometimes...to help me understand why I feel certain ways some days.

Right now I have been on it a month. The first 3 weeks were great, fantastic. I was feeling refreshed and HAPPY. I was waking up feeling GOOD. Then they decided after rehashing and rehashing my sleep study results (they put me on a machine right away I was so bad off) to adjust the settings. Now I have to crunch down my mask (don't like, but do it) and I am tired again upon waking. I told the PA that and she still insists for the settings to stay the same because the new settings have definitely "removed" the (whatever) that was going on in the earlier results my 1st few weeks.

When they changed the settings, they put in a fixed high and a fixed low limit of some kind. I was told they tried avap during the sleep study, and it didn't make a difference in my readings, so they decided to keep it bipap. Evidently I have centrals and hypoxia too. Currently they still can't figure out why my O2 remains low. I am on oxygen all day and night (I work, so this is not the best situation for employment and am hoping to get off it). I think that is part of why they cranked it up. I hope some of my blood testing reveals something as nobody can figure it out.

I would like to know where to get the correct software. And is there a way to "copy" the data off the card instead of 'dumping' it? The doc still has to be able to download it.

Thanks in advance!

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:36 pm

it is a PR System One REMStar 60 Series BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-sys ... chine.html

i'm thinking encore basic willwork with it. not sure about sleepyhead. maybe.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

gigawhat

Post by gigawhat » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks, that link helped for sure. It has a 6-pin connection between sections and raised 'system one' lettering, so it is 60 series

Ok, so all I need now is to figure out the software angle. What do others do here for this?

SleepingBetty

Post by SleepingBetty » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:01 pm

This is great info! Thanks to robysue for putting it all together and updating it and thanks to gigawhat for bumping it with a question! The machine that I am currently using on loan from my DME is a PR M Series Auto, but he says I will be getting the latest version of that machine. I think he said a 560 and it sounds like the machine he had on display. I'm not sure if the info is accurate, but he said the Series 50 machines are no longer made. Anyway, it sounds like I will be getting an excellent machine. I am sooo grateful for a good DME! He has been extremely helpful throughout this process.

howkim

Post by howkim » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi, RobySue, maybe you can answer a question for me. Do you know anything about a Respironics Legacy machine called a "REMaster" or "REMmaster?" My first machine (before I started coming here) was called that. I can't find anything on line about them. Do you know anything about them?

I am not a mushroom.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:09 pm

howkim wrote:Hi, RobySue, maybe you can answer a question for me. Do you know anything about a Respironics Legacy machine called a "REMaster" or "REMmaster?" My first machine (before I started coming here) was called that. I can't find anything on line about them. Do you know anything about them?
Robysue hasn't been here at the forum for quite a while.

Respironics has used the term Remstar on all their machines...that's part of the reason things are confusing.
This is what we term the Legacy series looks like. Pre M Series model.

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/respi ... cflex.html

There were many different models in this model series ranging from the Remstar Plus up to the ASV model.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:21 pm

gigawhat wrote:Thanks, that link helped for sure. It has a 6-pin connection between sections and raised 'system one' lettering, so it is 60 series

Ok, so all I need now is to figure out the software angle. What do others do here for this?
You can use SleepyHead software but you will need the Patch file.
viewtopic/t83551/SleepyHead-Series-60-Patch-Avail.html
See this thread and you can find the basic SleepyHead in my signature line..then the patch file.

I will send you a PM in a couple of minutes with information on Encore software that you can give it a try also.

rocksockdoc

Post by rocksockdoc » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:32 am

Thank you very much for this guide, as the "REMstar" was confusing me to no end (nowhere on mine does it say that word).
DS 750. The PR System One REMstar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex. The auto adjusting bi-level machine. This machine should say "REMstar BiPAP Auto Bi-Flex" near the LCD located on top of the blower unit.
I'm sure I have the PRS1 50 series because it looks exactly like the 50-series picture in the OP (with the cream-colored panel).
However, the bottom of my blower says:
BiPAP Auto [REF] 750P

So, can I assume I have a DS750 then?
Sloop wrote:Interestingly, my 450 unit does NOT start off with a DS. Instead it has a REF in a square and next to it is 450P. But it IS REMstar Pro C-Flex Plus.
Exactly what mine is like (only the REF in the rectangular box is followed by a 750P).

So, can I assume I have a "PR System One REMstar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex"?
The MD said my tongue is too big for my throat. For $100K, he could move the tongue attachment forward, and then cut both lower mandibles and move them forward and then enlarge the lower mandible. I replied "I'll use the machine, thank you."

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 am

rocksockdoc wrote:Exactly what mine is like (only the REF in the rectangular box is followed by a 750P).

So, can I assume I have a "PR System One REMstar BiPAP Auto with Bi-Flex"?
Correct.

The "DS" or "REF" thing is not an important part of model name.
Also some people have a 1 at the end...like 751 or 761..and that isn't critical either.
That 1 can be on any model number and not just the BiPap Auto number...like even a 261.

The 50 or 60 is what we look at to determine series model.
The 60 series is the most latest model version but other than the heated hose option and a couple of other minor setting changes the basic functions and algorithm didn't change.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:33 am

gigawhat wrote:... Currently they still can't figure out why my O2 remains low. I am on oxygen all day and night (I work, so this is not the best situation for employment and am hoping to get off it). ...
What 02 equipment do you use at work, Gigawhat? I have COPD and am on 02 round the clock. I have an at-home 5L concentrator for continuous flow around the house and then D or E tanks on pulse when I'm out and about. That limits my outings quite a bit.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

fringel

Post by fringel » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:54 pm

Just to complete the post, the last machine in your list of System One series 50 machines, the AutoSV Advanced is DS 950 model.

The entry should look like this:
  • DS 950 The PR System One REMstar BiPAP Auto SV Advanced. This is a $5500 machine at cpap.com; it is used to treat folks with central and complex sleep apnea. Most newbies will NOT start out with this machine.

Similarly, there is a DS Model 960 which I understand is basically identical to the DS 950 except it has a heated hose and may not work with sleepyhead version 0.9.3-0 (the current version as of July 2013).

Fred