Swift LT question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gparr

Swift LT question

Post by Gparr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I am trying the Swift LT Nasal Pillow tonight...my current pressure settings are 5-20. It starts at 4 and ramps to 5 over 45 mins. I feel like I am suffocating at 4. Some have commented that a minimum of 6 is needed for nasal pillows. I have set up my machine to 6 to try it out and do feel comfortable.

Now to the question...is moving my machine to start at 6 with no ramping going to cause any issues or problems?

If it doesn't fit, force it...if it breaks, it was meant too!

Janknitz

Re: Swift LT question

Post by Janknitz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Changing the pressure 1 cm is NOT going to hurt anything. Don't worry about it. Think about it--your pressure can go up to 20, so why would 6 cause you any problems???

Some people feel like it's harder to breathe with the smaller sizes of swift nasal pillows because the holes are smaller. Using a larger nasal pillow--if you can do so without leaking--often alleviates this feeling.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:51 pm

6 is still a pretty low pressure. I think that it is very unlikely that you will have a problem without using ramp.
jeff

Gparr

Post by Gparr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Sam_100

Post by Sam_100 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:48 am

Gparr,

I think the real issue is the 45 min ramp time. This means you will be at a pressure of <5 for at least 45 minutes, which from what you have said, is probably to little pressure for you. Changing the minimum pressure from 5 to 6 will have no impact because the machine won't reach the 6 until the ramp-up time has been reached.

I would recommend you change the ramp-up time to something around 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes ramp-up the machine will be free to increase pressure in response to your needs.

The ramp-up time is more a comfort issue than a treatment issue and if you are not comfortable at 5 minutes, you can always increase the time.

sam_01

Xney

Post by Xney » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:38 pm

You can disable the ramp if you don't want it. It's purely a comfort feature.

Many people cannot tolerate 4cm or 5cm because it's too low - it feels smothering.

Gparr

Post by Gparr » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks all...I did raise the pressure to 6 and disabled the ramp...I think I might be destined for the nasal mask only...the feel of the pillow is very different for me...although I like the freedom with it!

Sam_01

Post by Sam_01 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:50 pm

Gparr,

If you can give the pillow a chance I think you may find it a good solution. I switched to pillows
because they are very simple and are least likely to leak. Just don't make them too tight.

Sam_01

Gparr

Post by Gparr » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks, Sam!

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Gparr wrote:Thanks all...I did raise the pressure to 6 and disabled the ramp...I think I might be destined for the nasal mask only...the feel of the pillow is very different for me...although I like the freedom with it!
You might consider the Swift FX as well. It's lighter weight, has less impact (for me) on my sleeping, and works well with a hose hanger. The reason that I mention a hose hanger is that sometimes people use the Swift LT because you can attach the hose over your head. Using a Swift FX (or any other mask *smile*) with a hose hanger accomplishes the same thing for me. It allows me to forget about where the hose is since it is simply where I need it to be, so less stuff attached to my head .

It does take a while to get used to switching mask types, so give it a chance before you give up. Changing masks can lead to better sleep, less leaks, better therapy. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, though, not all changes are for the better *smile*, that's life. But it is worth trying.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:42 pm

There are ways to attach the hose to the top strap of the Swift FX.

I use a small, thick fabric-covered woman's hair elastic band. It's about
1 1/2" across.

Put the band under the top strap and fold both sides up.
Then run the hose under one side of the band, over the top strap and
under the other side of the band.
jeff