Stupid question - More rested after interrupted sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DiverCTHunter

Stupid question - More rested after interrupted sleep

Post by DiverCTHunter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:23 am

I have the misfortune to be on call this week and have been awoken early at least twice every night. The last two mornings I've felt more alert than I have in ages.

Is this related to the way the Zeo devices were originally supposed to wake you at the "optimum" time?

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

ddk

Re: Stupid question - More rested after interrupted sleep

Post by ddk » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:27 am

I have no idea what a zeo is or what it's got to do with CPAP. But as for interrupted sleep, I sometimes find that if I sleep without the machine at all, I'll feel better than sleeping with it. But it's short-lived. A second night without the machine and I'm ten times worse. I think it's probably adrenaline or something, 'cause I'm definitely not getting better quality sleep without the machine.

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:03 am

Zeo was a company with a line of consumer-grade devices for sleep coaching. Their flagship products could be hacked and turned into a home EEG.

A number of forum members purchased and hacked the Zeo devices before the company went belly up.

Their original product was an alarm clock that went off when you hit N1 or N2 (forget which) within X minutes of the set alarm time.

They failed because their products (which worked, BTW) were too expensive for the consumer market and too cheap for the medical market.

Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:03 am

DiverCTHunter wrote:Zeo was a company with a line of consumer-grade devices for sleep coaching. Their flagship products could be hacked and turned into a home EEG.

A number of forum members purchased and hacked the Zeo devices before the company went belly up.

Their original product was an alarm clock that went off when you hit N1 or N2 (forget which) within X minutes of the set alarm time.

They failed because their products (which worked, BTW) were too expensive for the consumer market and too cheap for the medical market.
And I answered my own question BTW.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:04 pm

If I have a bad night of sleep with elevated AHI, I don't feel it for 48-72 hours later.

I had a bad night of restless sleep & high AHI on Sunday night, but the effects of it hit me on Tuesday morning.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 pm

I haven't really seen an ongoing correlation between interrupted or fragmented sleep and feeling good the next day - however I have had occasional nights when my AHI, leak, tidal volume numbers etc weren't that great and I still felt pretty decent the next morning. More often than not though, if the numbers are bad then the next morning is generally crappy. My AHI is never truly out of whack, so usually by lunchtime the next day I'm feeling functional, if not super great... nothing a couple of Advil can't fix. As somebody else mentioned, I'm thinking the adrenal glands may be responsible for pumping coritisol into your bloodstream, ie. fight or flight, thereby elevating the entire nervous system. However this temporary chemical fix is probably not a good thing to rely on for the long term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:45 pm

Some people think two sleep sessions every night is more "natural" than one continuous sleep session. The question probably needs more study vs. the traditional 8 hours the same time every night.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:39 pm

archangle wrote:Some people think two sleep sessions every night is more "natural" than one continuous sleep session. The question probably needs more study vs. the traditional 8 hours the same time every night.
You're right, archangle. It's called segmented sleep. Sometimes my wife and I play a hand of Mille Bornes in the middle of the night when we both wake up, then we go back to sleep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep
Stephanie Hegarty - BBC World Service wrote:Today, most people seem to have adapted quite well to the eight-hour sleep, but Ekirch believes many sleeping problems may have roots in the human body's natural preference for segmented sleep as well as the ubiquity of artificial light.

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 am

I wonder if youre preventing major event sequences in late stage sleep.

I know for me, especially if i go over 7/8 hours in a day, that the last hour can be brutal with the number of events.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:52 am

DavidCarolina wrote:I wonder if youre preventing major event sequences in late stage sleep.

I know for me, especially if i go over 7/8 hours in a day, that the last hour can be brutal with the number of events.
From my own data, I have found that the first four hours show relatively few apneas/hypopneas. The last half of my sleep session has the greater number of interruptions, with more of them happening the closer I get to seven and a half hours total sleep session duration.

In other words, my data show a similar trend, and you might be on to something. It might be interesting to do a study where CPAP users add a 20 minute walk around the house between the 2am pee break and the rest of the night to see if AHI gets any better during the second half of the night.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:20 pm

My Wife's new puppy solved that problem for me, It doesn't seem to have a negative affect on my apnea's. I just stumble back into bed go back to sleep.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:33 pm

I have had times that I felt like I slept too hard. I remember doing that years ago I think pre apnea. I have even done that once with my new machine.