I was 100% compliant until...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tigerlily

I was 100% compliant until...

Post by Tigerlily » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 pm

I came down with the flu!

I have now slept withOUT cpap for 3 nights, because of cough, congestion, facial pain, fever & sweating. I've had this flu for 7 days now. I hope I can wear my mask tonight! My poor hubby had to go back to the sofa because I was SOOOO NOISY!!! He said I was waking myself up every couple of minutes. Not fun, not fun at all.

Additional Comments: Pressure: 11 , OSCAR software
~ Tigerlily ~

khauser

Re: I was 100% compliant until...

Post by khauser » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:28 pm

I hope you feel better soon.

I do suggest you use CPAP as much as you can. I know when I have a fever the last thing I need is some dang irritating thing grafted on my face, and the hose would probably be annoying too, but you'll get over the flu better and faster if you breathe during sleep.

What specifically is bothering you about using the cpap while sick? I love the CPAP when I have a cold ... it's the only time I tend to NOT feel sick (I can't use decongestants).

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:41 pm

I know it sounds hard to do, especially when you are so sick, but it helps me to get over colds & flu faster if I just wear my mask. I can wear nasal pillows & nasal mask when I've got a cold or flu, it seems to help with the congestion. Not logical I know, but it just works that way for me. You may want to try it, I've found you get well faster & feel better the next morning if you can use your CPAP.

Just a thought for others & for you the next time you are ill. Hope you are feeling better now.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:44 pm

Well, the the first reason I did not use the TapPap was because the roof of my mouth was sore and itchy and I burnt my gums behind my upper teeth on hot tea.

So, I decided I would try my hybrid Mirage Liberty. I could only stand it for less than 10 minutes because my cheeks had sinus pressure and the mask was very uncomfortable, I was sweating because of my fever so the mask wasn't staying sealed and because I was congested I had to breathe through my mouth and so I kept drooling which would keep waking me and messing up the seal. Plus, my coughing can be pretty violent so trying to do that into the Liberty would seem....difficult. It's bad enough not wearing my mask.

I think I may be able to use it tonight though because my fever is better and face pain is better. I will use the NetiPot before bed. Wish me luck!

~ Tigerlily ~

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Definitely, good luck tonight and feel better.

KenH

Post by KenH » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:59 pm

I use the new Wisp mask. My nose was stopped up and could not use Cpap. I have a HORRIBLE cough. The first night I could use it the coughing stopped within a minuet of putting it on. As soon as I woke up and took it off. Cough was back. I wanted to go back to bed.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 pm

When I'm too "gooey" to sleep with my mask because of sneezing and runny nose I don't sleep well at all. As soon as I possibly can, I crank the humidity all the way up and sleep with the mask again. I find that the humidity soothes my cough and can sometimes help with my stuffy nose (I use a FF mask) and I sleep much better than I used to sleep for weeks once a cold or flu got hold of me. Even if I have to rip it off now and then to catch a sneeze (yuck, TMI!), the time I spend in it is better than not.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Most of the time when I have a cold I can stay on the hose but I had one cold that I just couldn't wear a mask at all. It just happened one time.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:32 pm

Tigerlily wrote: So, I decided I would try my hybrid Mirage Liberty. I could only stand it for less than 10 minutes because my cheeks had sinus pressure and the mask was very uncomfortable, I was sweating because of my fever so the mask wasn't staying sealed and because I was congested I had to breathe through my mouth and so I kept drooling which would keep waking me and messing up the seal. Plus, my coughing can be pretty violent so trying to do that into the Liberty would seem....difficult. It's bad enough not wearing my mask.

I think I may be able to use it tonight though because my fever is better and face pain is better. I will use the NetiPot before bed. Wish me luck!
Crank the humidity WAY up -- I use one of Karen's mask liners (I have 2) and then wash it out and dry it in the morning. The humidity really helps the congestion.

Also, a Dr. Ronald Hoffman suggests 50,000 IU of Vitamin D for 3 days for the flu. My husband did it, and it works.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

PreemieNrsTiffy

Post by PreemieNrsTiffy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 pm

I've dreaded the first time I come down with a bad allergy attack or cold/flu. I've only had the flu once that I know of but I get colds like everyone else. I have planned to get a full-face mask at some point in the future when my insurance allows (or I find a good sale). I think I would do better on the hose than off as I used to struggle with almost like a smoker's hacky cough and sneezing in the morning (never have smoked). I've not had any of that since I went on the CPAP except the time I accidentally turned off my humidity. I always feel so dried out and full of crud when I have a cold, I think going to my highest humidity setting during a cold/flu would be ideal.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 am

Sometimes sleeping in a recliner may help. Also, sometimes turning the humidity down helps.

I keep a full face mask around just in case, but in 9 years, I've never been so congested that I couldn't use a nasal mask. The mask seems to clear out my sinuses.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

jab1972

Post by jab1972 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:15 pm

I had the flu a couple months ago and had the same problems you're experiencing, although severe congestion was my major conflict with hosing up. I normally don't use it, but I found that using afrin nasal spray before bed was enough to get a good night sleep on the hose. Don't use it for too many days, as it will cause rebound congestion, but in this case I found my midnight run to the 24-hour pharmacy well worth the effort. Feel better!

Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks you guys! Because I was feeling a bit better and because of your encouragement I went back to the TapPap last night.

Now however....

I have new symptoms and I'm pretty sure I have a sinus infection...going to Dr. tomorrow! So again, not sure if I should use my TapPap if it's a sinus infection and not just cold and flu congestion.

I don't want to make it worse...

~ Tigerlily ~

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:04 am

I have trouble with wet sneezes and coughing spasms that happen every 10-15 minutes. In those conditions, I just can't keep a mask on. I have to keep taking it off, and it is too frequent to keep it on.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?