Sleep study pressure vs. Apap pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rhodes

Sleep study pressure vs. Apap pressure

Post by Rhodes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 pm

While I was on the waiting list for a sleep study I started using a Resmed S8 autoset machine with which I was getting an average AHI of under 5 and averaging a pressure of 11.2. After a 3 year wait, I finally had my sleep study and was told that I had mild to moderate sleep apnea and required a pressure of 5. When I questioned him with regard to the low prescibed pressure vs. the average pressure on my autoset machine, he just stated that these machines are not as good as advertised and that too high a pressure can actually be harmful to me.
I was sent home with a Resmed 9 Elite cpap machine with a pressure setting of 5. Thus far I have not used that machine but reset my autoset machine to a lower range starting with 4 to 6, and increasing over time to 6 to 9. At these lower pressures my AHI has ranged from 10 to 16 and I often wake up with headaches. My question is, do I need a lot more time to get used to a lower pressure or should I just set my autoset back to where I had it for 3 years (7 to 13) and just fly with that. I am actually afraid to use the Resmed 9 with a cpap setting of 5. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

NotLazyJustTired

Re: Sleep study pressure vs. Apap pressure

Post by NotLazyJustTired » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 pm

FWIW, I was uncomfortable at 5cm. I'm currently at 7-15 and starting to feel better. There's really not that much of a change from 5 to 7 that I saw. Up to you what you want to do, but if 5cm is not getting the job done, consider going a little higher.

"So oftentimes it happens, that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key."
...from The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Sleep Well, Frank

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:03 pm

The S8 and S9 have different algorithms and respond differently.

Use the S9 and maybe split the difference in pressures if you have a mind to....you may not need as much pressure with the S9 as you did with the S8 because of the different algorithms.

Regarding too much pressure causing centrals or harm? There's a very small percentage of cpap users who this is indeed a true statement but the number of people who have that happen is not large...heck, I see pressures up to 20 on my machine with never any more centrals than usual.
And yes...we all have them from time to time...some central event flagging is normal. It's only when they are present in large numbers and are disruptive to sleep or oxygen levels that they become a problem.

If you were to try the lower setting after using the higher setting for so long I imagine you will feel like you are suffocating and that's why I suggest splitting the difference.
It will be easy to spot on your reports if you need more...or can get by with less.

Sleepyhead software will work...links in my signature line.
If you want ResScan..send me a PM.
SleepyHead is easier to manage but doesn't matter to me which you want to use or heck, try both.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rhodes

Post by Rhodes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for the replys...Pugsy, I am going to look into that Sleepyhead software on the weekend.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 pm

They let you wait 3 years and are now concerned about a little too much pressure harming you?

Rhodes

Post by Rhodes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Yes, a terribly long wait up here in Saskatchewan, Canada. The only upside is, once diagnosed you get a free machine for use with free maintenance. But yes, one could have exacerbated health problems while waiting for your study...that is why I sprung for my autoset machine.