Any harm in using too high of a pressure?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cosmo

Any harm in using too high of a pressure?

Post by cosmo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14 am

I'm normally at a 12.5 cm CPAP pressure but I was experimenting at a higher pressure for a few mins to see if a higher pressure would shoot through some congestion. I forgot to turn it back down and used a higher pressure for the night. I didn't catch my error until I checked out my data from Sleepyhead.

Would it be safe to continue at a higher rate than needed? 2 months worth of APAP mode had my 95% at around 12.5 cm.

This is my normal setting but not normal AHI. AHI is high due to higher than usual congestion.

Normal is around AHI .50. 1-4 events in total.

Disregard the different machine types pictured, both produce same results in cpap mode that I use.

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Any harm in using too high of a pressure?

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:23 am

I'm not a doctor but I'd have to guess that if you don't suffer from aerophagia, GERD, chipmunk cheeks, open mouth breathing or the host of other problems that high pressure can bring, then why not give it a month long test? TBS, If I was going to experiment with higher pressure I'd be damned sure the gain in therapy is worth the potential setbacks, because there's bound to be a a few bumps in the road with 16cmH20 pressure along the way. Also, your pillows might wear out faster (like they do with ASV), but can't say for sure.

Like you, I'm experimenting with straight CPAP. My pressure is currently at 8cmH20 and I love the steady nature of it so far. My AHI is usually around five (some nights near 1.0) and I could probably drive it lower with higher pressure, however the comfort of air delivery, the lack of leaks and aerophagia is so nice.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:36 am

I think as long as you're not seeing CA events you're not endangering yourself. Another question is, do you see significant improvement?

Typically medical "prescribing" guidelines would seek to find a balance between improvement gained vs dosage. I did increase my own settings (I talked to the doctor about it first) and found that I felt significantly better after that work. So, if you think there's room to improve your awake feeling and you don't see counter-indications, I would suggest it was worth a try. Whether or not you involve your doctor depends on how well you know yourself, what risk your willing to take, and how good a doctor you have.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:58 am

I'm going stick to a higher pressure for now. Why not? Wont know the results unless you try. There was a slight improvement with morning time energy level. But it was so minor and could have been unrelated. Basically, no difference in feeling yet. I would need a few weeks before I could make any assessments.

I do like the CPAP mode but I also did have good results on APAP mode that was in a good small range for me. I like to keep things simple so its a fixed pressure and no exhale relief.

I've never seen a sleep doctor. Insurance gave me a watch pat home finger sleep tester. Then gave me a 1 week titration machine, then mailed me an apap with 5-15 cm range. So I've been on my own since day one and I haven't managed to kill myself yet with any experiments

John from Brookston

Post by John from Brookston » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:32 pm

As long as the hose doesn't come loose and you go flying around the room going "PFLBBBB!" like a balloon...

Big fat guy who's diabetic, on HRT, and now a heart attack survivor as well as having OSA (boy, I sure won the genetic rodeo, din't I?). Ham Radio operator and I have a black tomcat named "Bart" who looks like an old prize fighter.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Maybe keep an eye on the leaks. I've noticed that I have more leaks as the pressure goes up, too. I was using 10 -14cm, and just reduced that 10 - 12cm just for personal comfort. If I could do better with leaks, I'd go back up to 10 - 14cm again.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:43 pm

John from Brookston wrote:As long as the hose doesn't come loose and you go flying around the room going "PFLBBBB!" like a balloon...
I think cosmo just flew past my window.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Stormynights wrote:
John from Brookston wrote:As long as the hose doesn't come loose and you go flying around the room going "PFLBBBB!" like a balloon...
This is why I'm thinking about a remote on/off button for my Autoset for some time. So I don't have to run into that problem again.

I would just need to crack open the shell, solder in a few wires...But is it worth the risk

S9 main board....

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:13 pm

cosmo wrote:
Stormynights wrote:
This is why I'm thinking about a remote on/off button for my Autoset for some time. So I don't have to run into that problem again.

I would just need to crack open the shell, solder in a few wires...But is it worth the risk

S9 main board....
Dude, you're scaring me.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

TangledHose

Post by TangledHose » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:24 pm

Yo Cosmo,

Hey just a simple curiosity question for you: you said you like the straight CPAP, I am curious why you like the straight CPAP over the APAP - - I have been experimenting over the last month with a new APAP machine and kinda like that it is not a gale force all the time - - is it that you are just used to the constant blow and don't care for the variation? Do you feel like you are getting better overall therapy in CPAP vs APAP ??? Inquiring minds want to know

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 pm

My own thinking is that cpap is easier for the user. You have a fixed pressure for your breathing to adjust to. Its repetitive and a constant for your brain.

A sleep doctor or researcher would know better though. If anyone is going to their sleep doc any time soon. Maybe pick their brain on the subject.

imsleepynomore

Post by imsleepynomore » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:36 pm

I just started out with a full face mask and when my pressure tarts to increase at night it causes leaks and noise (farts) so bad hubby gets up annoyed. I reduced my pressure last night slept well and no leaks so all was quite last night hubby happy .

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:51 pm

One problem may be leaks - the higher the pressure the more potential for leaks. I've been at 19 for 12 1/2 yrs & now with APAP I'm at around 12-13 & I find the lower pressure more comfortable & I no longer have a leak issue. I'd just watch your data for leaks.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:52 pm

The leak rates were so so. I'm going to be more careful with smashing my face in the pillow.

cosmo

Post by cosmo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 am

Still alive here....I wanted to see if I'd fly