Sleep Apnea and Testosterone Replacement Therapy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fredn

Sleep Apnea and Testosterone Replacement Therapy

Post by fredn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Hey everyone ....

Anybody out there on Testosterone Replacement Therapy .... I had stopped using my Testim for quite awhile ... and started using a CPAP machine ... well my T Levels are still real low (169) I was hoping that getting a sounder sleep would help raise it ... but NG .... and YES my AHI is consistently under 3.0 and otherwise I feel great .... cept when my T Levels are low I tend to get a "tad" snappy

Well it's time to start TRT again ... otherwise my wife is gonna kill me in my sleep ... I'm hoping that my AHI isn't affected .... any experience with this out there?

Fred

Todzo

Re: Sleep Apnea and Testosterone Replacement Therapy

Post by Todzo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:53 pm

fredn wrote:Hey everyone ....

Anybody out there on Testosterone Replacement Therapy .... I had stopped using my Testim for quite awhile ... and started using a CPAP machine ... well my T Levels are still real low (169) I was hoping that getting a sounder sleep would help raise it ... but NG .... and YES my AHI is consistently under 3.0 and otherwise I feel great .... cept when my T Levels are low I tend to get a "tad" snappy

Well it's time to start TRT again ... otherwise my wife is gonna kill me in my sleep ... I'm hoping that my AHI isn't affected .... any experience with this out there?

Fred
Google "Resistance Training Testosterone Levels".
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

fredn

Post by fredn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:17 pm

OKAY .... so I google "Resistance Training Testosterone Levels" ... 270,000 hits .... can you steer me towards your point?

Fred

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:43 pm

fredn wrote:OKAY .... so I google "Resistance Training Testosterone Levels" ... 270,000 hits .... can you steer me towards your point?

Fred

Hi Fred!

Sure.

Google "testosterone replacement therapy dangers" and then "resistance training testosterone levels men's fitness"

And do have a lot of fun!

Todzo
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:22 pm

It's my understanding that it can take 6 months or more after stopping testosterone replacement for your body's own testosterone production to be at a point where it is worth testing to check levels. Were you off Testim long enough to check levels?

OSA can be one factor in low testosterone. Belly fat/obesity is another, and age yet another. I'm not sure whether getting OSA under control is enough to bring testosterone levels up if there are other factors present that can cause low testosterone.

I think OSA is just part of the picture.

Regarding restarting TRT, some people don't find that it helps a lot with mood. Others do. I think restarting requires looking at all of the pros and cons in order to make an informed decision.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:54 pm

While everything we have going on effects our total health picture, LOW "T" doesn't mean you have sleep apnea nor does sleep apnea cause Low "T", all our health problem affect each other, it's called Life, and is aggregated by growing older. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Suddenly Worn Out

Post by Suddenly Worn Out » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Yeah, Im on TRT. I tried all the transdermals over several years. Androgel 1%, Testim, Androgel 1.62% most recently. I found all transdermals are worthless for me, I was told by my physicians I evidently do not absorb the transdermals well. Some guys dont absorb transdermals well, others do just fine on transdermals.

If you can get your total testosterone up good on any transdermal, I'd stick with that because transdermals do mimic your natural testosterone levels better than injections.

I was switched over to the hardcore stuff, testosterone cypionate injections every 14 days back in the Fall. I wish I had done that sooner. Within two or three months, I had a total testosterone level in the mid 600s. Before, my total testosterone levels were in the 100s!!!

I like the testosterone cypionate shots better. Im calmer on the Testosterone shots, I guess because they actually get my T levels elevated whereas the gels do jack sh*t. The shots also make me feel more aggressive in a good kind of way that I used to feel like in my late teens and twenties. Recently, I started self injecting and my dose is 1CC every 14 to 12 days.

Ive not noticed any negative effects on my sleep apnea with the T shots. Maybe some mild pressure increases, but I use an AutoPap so I dont worry about it.

Eric

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:18 pm

I just started shots after my new health insurance wouldn't cover Androgel. I was pissed at first but now that I'm set up to do my own shots I find it's much less expensive and it's also nice not to have to slime myself up every morning.

Randy

Sparky223

Post by Sparky223 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:42 pm

I take Androgel and growth hormone. Never had it affect my AHI

Chilimon

Post by Chilimon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm also using Androgel 1.62% and never noticed any effect with my Apnea. Wish the Dr would offer a pill or the shot though, rubbing the gel on is a PIA

There have been times I stopped using it like you and got very moody, wife is ready to divorce me -

Java Time

Post by Java Time » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:57 am

Also on Androgel at pretty high levels. Started it about 8 months after I started CPAP. If it is negatively affecting my CPAP, it is a fairly small increase to my events per hour. No "perceived" difference in how my CPAP is going.

Interesting about people saying they are "snappy" when their T levels are low. You also hear that people can get agitated and irritable as they rise. I find I have to be more careful about irritability and how I respond to people now that I'm at higher "T" levels then I was. Do "feel" better energy-wise though.

Like everything in life, I guess you watch for any side effects it may cause you.

By the way, this is probably a common issue as my doctor said sleep apnea leads to low testosterone in a lot of men. So, not surprising that many male CPAPers may take Testosterone.

If you are struggling with congestion, it helped me to add Alkalol to my daily sinus rinse. This reduced my congestion and allows me to breathe freely with my CPAP mask. CPAPtalk post about Alkalol use here: viewtopic.php?p=665255#p665255

Exterminator

Post by Exterminator » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:13 pm

I started testosterone shots last December, my level was @ 232 prior to the shots.
After 3 months on the shots monthly my level had dropped to 118.
Now taking shots every 2 weeks, hopefully my level will rise now.