Do you drive if you're sleep deprived? (Poll)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Do you drive if you are sleep deprived?

Yes.
40%
Yes, but only short distances.
11%
Only in an emergency.
11%
Only when I have something important going on and there's no one else to drive.
13%
No.
25%

Total votes: 53

hopingitworks

Re: Do you drive if you're sleep deprived? (Poll)

Post by hopingitworks » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 am

No, I don't drive if sleep deprived.

The wife and I work together and our drive to work involves 3 hour drive a couple of times a week. We share the driving duties. I generally will take a nap for the first hour of the long drives and then drive the remainder when I am refreshed from the nap.

In the past, if I felt tired to drive, I would pull off the road and take a nap.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:01 am

SleepingUgly wrote:
quietmorning wrote:
SleepingUgly wrote:How about an option that says, "I'd be an idiot if I ever acknowledged to anyone that I ever drove tired even though everyone drives tired, especially the doctor who will now report you to the DMV"?
I so need to send you a pm next time I set up a poll. . .
ha! I know doctors don't get much sleep, yet they will be the ones to report to the DMV that their patient is too tired to drive.
Yep. Thankfully my doc didn't the last time I saw him. . . That was the first day that I really understood just how sleep deprived I was - and haven't driven anywhere since after 2pm.

He had the look of "I'll give you ONE MORE CHANCE. . .BUT DON'T TO THAT AGAIN!!!"

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:03 am

hopingitworks wrote:No, I don't drive if sleep deprived.

The wife and I work together and our drive to work involves 3 hour drive a couple of times a week. We share the driving duties. I generally will take a nap for the first hour of the long drives and then drive the remainder when I am refreshed from the nap.

In the past, if I felt tired to drive, I would pull off the road and take a nap.
Just out of curiosity, how do you manage your sleep apnea when you are sleeping for the first hour? Or is that possible?

Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan going as far as driving is concerned. I wish I could sleep in a car - or on a plane. . .or whatever. . . lol. . .me the control freak has to see what's going on.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:03 am

CavemanSean wrote:For me working in the construction industry and working on oil rigs; its

If I feel like I can POTENTIALLY harm someone there is no way I will drive or even work!

Safety is our number 1 priority!

Before I would do desk work most of the days due to how tired I was, now I get the chance to be out in the fields almost every day!
That's awesome!!

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:05 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
SleepingUgly wrote:How about an option that says, "I'd be an idiot if I ever acknowledged to anyone that I ever drove tired even though everyone drives tired, especially the doctor who will now report you to the DMV"?
Sorta like "do you text and drive?" Everyone knows its wrong but folks still do it.

Sheriff
Yeah, and unfortunately there are too many who die in the process.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 am

fredr500 wrote:In today's society where people are quick to call a lawyer when anything happens how could anyone post on a public forum that they do this?

Post here that you knowingly drive while impaired and then get in an accident, be prepared to have your words used against you, this could be the most expensive post of your life.

Of course I would never drive while impaired by anything including sleep, for any reason. And now it is documented.
I don't think there's any way, unless someone hacks - that anyone can tell who polled what answer. I know I can't, and I posted the thing. :-/

If you are willing to answer with a post? I dunno. . .that's up to you.

But that being said, if there's some reason to drive to save someone's life? I'd rather be sued than watch them die. . . that's immoral and inexcusable to allow something like that to happen to save my own skin.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:10 pm

I don't have a license. I have had a phobia of driving since I was a teenager. I do have a permit now (one of many of the years), and I have been practicing. Mostly small neighborhood streets so far. And obviously somebody experienced with me.

I used to get sleepy as a passenger in the car for longer trips. I have been working on that. I am good in the mornings now due to sleeping better with cpap. I do get tired returning home after a long weekend. If I drink an energy drink, I do not have any issues getting sleepy. I would not have been willing to try this a year ago, but now that I am sleeping better and no longer dozing off as a passenger, I am willing to move forward and get over my fear.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:01 pm

It was easy to answer "no". I literally have not been sleep deprived for 7 years, since starting xpap.

hopingitworks

Post by hopingitworks » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 am

quietmorning wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how do you manage your sleep apnea when you are sleeping for the first hour? Or is that possible?

Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan going as far as driving is concerned. I wish I could sleep in a car - or on a plane. . .or whatever. . . lol. . .me the control freak has to see what's going on.
I take the ResMed with me on long drives. I have a converter to power the machine and it works just fine.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:41 am

zoocrewphoto wrote:I don't have a license. I have had a phobia of driving since I was a teenager. I do have a permit now (one of many of the years), and I have been practicing. Mostly small neighborhood streets so far. And obviously somebody experienced with me.

I used to get sleepy as a passenger in the car for longer trips. I have been working on that. I am good in the mornings now due to sleeping better with cpap. I do get tired returning home after a long weekend. If I drink an energy drink, I do not have any issues getting sleepy. I would not have been willing to try this a year ago, but now that I am sleeping better and no longer dozing off as a passenger, I am willing to move forward and get over my fear.
Good for you for facing your fear! Well done!

I think for most with apnea, the longer trips are the most dangerous as the road becomes quite hypnotic.

I'm was good to drive until about 2pm with this go 'round of sleep issues - but for the last week or so, I wake up just as tired as I was when I went to bed, so I'm off limits to the car until they figure things out. Hubby drove me to and picked me up from the sleep study this morning. . .grouching about it just a little.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:42 am

Captain_Midnight wrote:It was easy to answer "no". I literally have not been sleep deprived for 7 years, since starting xpap.
I will be there some day. **stubborn**

I will.

I really will.

I'm so glad you're doing well!

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:44 am

hopingitworks wrote:
quietmorning wrote:

I take the ResMed with me on long drives. I have a converter to power the machine and it works just fine.
I think I'm going to follow suit on my next long drive. . . what a great idea!

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:37 am

quietmorning wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote:I don't have a license. I have had a phobia of driving since I was a teenager. I do have a permit now (one of many of the years), and I have been practicing. Mostly small neighborhood streets so far. And obviously somebody experienced with me.

Good for you for facing your fear! Well done!

I think for most with apnea, the longer trips are the most dangerous as the road becomes quite hypnotic.

I'm was good to drive until about 2pm with this go 'round of sleep issues - but for the last week or so, I wake up just as tired as I was when I went to bed, so I'm off limits to the car until they figure things out. Hubby drove me to and picked me up from the sleep study this morning. . .grouching about it just a little.

I've done 3 annual long trips with my sister where she drove all day each driving day. We were getting up around 7 or 8am, and I would start getting sleepy around 11am. I would drink part of an energy drink and perk back up. This last trip (with cpap this time), I did much better. I took the energy drinks with me, but I only used a few over the 16 day trip.

I've been taking driving lessons with my sister and her car. It is a normal car, and my parents have a truck and minivan. I need to learn to drive the minivan too, by the end of summer. I have been avoiding this for a long time (I'm 40). Multiple permits, but no license. A few months ago, I learned about a cat show I really want to go to. It s in Las Vegas and will be the first weekend of October. It is a special show because there will be a whole bunch of Ragdolls there (my favorite breed), as well as several people I chat with on a Ragdoll list. The lady I got two of my Ragdolls from will be there too. Ihave met up with her at two cat shows (Denver and Reno) and a family reunion in Oregon. She lives in Southern California, and I live in Seattle, so we don't get to hang out together much. Added to all that is that my friend wants to gift me with a Ragdoll kitten, and hopefully, the timing will work out.

I figured the only way I can go to the show (taking cats and vendor supplies) is to be able to drive my share of the distance. My sister just started a new job and won't be able to take vacation. My dad can't go. My mom can go, but she's 73. She can't drive the whole way by herself. So, I made this my incentive to get my license. The really great news is that a cat show friend really wants to go, and is willing to go with me if I can take turns driving. She has a Toyota Sienna, so I need to be able to drive her vehicle by August or early September.

I am actually excited and looking forward to my practice sessions. I am still a slow learner as I need a lot of practice to get comfortable. I did a couple short sessions on a busier road at 35 miles an hour, and I flushed as I was nervous. But it went well. More practice, and I will get better. It will be awhile before I get on the freeway.

I mastered my fear of the dentist last year, so this year is driving.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?