How often do you change your mask cushions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jaylee

How often do you change your mask cushions?

Post by Jaylee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 pm

I ordered a new one and was horrified at how the new one looked compared to the old one.

How often do you change yours?

STL Mark

Re: How often do you change your mask cushions?

Post by STL Mark » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Every three to four months.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Jaylee wrote:I ordered a new one and was horrified at how the new one looked compared to the old one.

How often do you change yours?
This boiling procedure really works. Try it on your old cushion and see it it makes it look like new. I modified it a little when I do it. I only boil it for about 1-2 minutes., It definitely extends the life.

viewtopic/t75749/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74 ... il#p685240
Last edited by LSAT on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:21 pm

I used the first seal on my UMFF for six years. I finally changed it two years ago even though the leak rate was still very low.
I get lots of "mileage" out of my stuff. But, then, I've purchased all of my supplies out-of-pocket and haven't asked my insurance to pay for any of it beyond the initial equipment purchase eight years ago.

Den

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:04 pm

One problem with old cushions is that boiling will not remove scratches, dents, grooves. Bacteria can hide there unless you clean your mask every day. I received used FF Quattro from board member. He told me to just boil and to restore shape. Yes, it restored shape but there were deep scratches and gouges that remained. Decided to buy new cushion.

Otter

Post by Otter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 am

I get about 8 months out of my cushions. One of these days I'll boil the old ones and see how much life they've got left in them.
VikingGnome wrote:One problem with old cushions is that boiling will not remove scratches, dents, grooves. Bacteria can hide there unless you clean your mask every day. I received used FF Quattro from board member. He told me to just boil and to restore shape. Yes, it restored shape but there were deep scratches and gouges that remained. Decided to buy new cushion.
It's probably not a good idea to use a scouring pad to clean silicone.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 am

I have to swap my Quattro cushion out every 2 1/2 to 3 months.

But my higher pressure and using Bi-pap flex's the heck out of the cushion.

boiling cleans the gunk off of the cushion very nicely!

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:36 am

Otter wrote:I get about 8 months out of my cushions. One of these days I'll boil the old ones and see how much life they've got left in them.
VikingGnome wrote:One problem with old cushions is that boiling will not remove scratches, dents, grooves. Bacteria can hide there unless you clean your mask every day. I received used FF Quattro from board member. He told me to just boil and to restore shape. Yes, it restored shape but there were deep scratches and gouges that remained. Decided to buy new cushion.
It's probably not a good idea to use a scouring pad to clean silicone.
I don't know how else you would get "scratches, dents and grooves".

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:56 am

I change mine the minute they start collapsing. Last night I changed after less than a week - my fault, didn't do the proper care on this particular set - the time before, two months.

I found that once they start collapsing, they don't stop. With proper care, I don't have this issue for at least two months - sometimes longer. If I go a few days without wiping them down, then they will collapse by the third or fourth night.

photodork

Post by photodork » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 pm

in the 3 years ive used the same cushion, ive never seen any scrapes or scratches.
i wash it with ultra palmolive dish soap in warm water most days washing it with my hands..comes out oilfree and squeaky clean.
i dont know how you could damage the silicon enough to leave scrapes or scratches if its looked after properly.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:22 pm

I am going to have to try the boiling, thanks for the link.

Suddenly Worn Out

Post by Suddenly Worn Out » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Three months is the longest I go without replacing my mask cushion. Two months is much, much better. I find I can go longer between cushion replacements during the late spring thru Summer and early Fall when the humidity level is high. High humidity makes it easier to create a better seal and you get fewer leaks and the cushions go a little further that way.

In the dry winter months, I try to replace every two months whenever I can afford it. Which is most of the time. If your cushions are wearing out before two months, you are either washing/disinfecting your cushions in something chemically too strong thats breaking the silicone down. Or you are using someone on your face that is coming into contact with your cushion and causing it to break down pre-maturely.

ANYTHING petroleum jelly based, or petroleum based period, will make a cushion break down super fast. So will bleach, ammonia and anti-bacterial liquid soap.

Eric

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:04 am

Suddenly Worn Out wrote:Three months is the longest I go without replacing my mask cushion.
Eric
3 months is the maximum use for me also.
And as you say, 2 months is even better.

Since Medicare & insurance (at least mine) will allow 2 new cushions PER MONTH, it just doesn't make any sense to me to go too long before replacing them.

Although the cushion degradation is gradual & you may not notice it from just 1 day to the next, when you do get a new cushion the difference is very obvious.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html