Nasal pillow mask and pressure?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WhoDatSleeping

Nasal pillow mask and pressure?

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:42 pm

I am considering trying a pillow mask but was wondering is there a so called pressure limit on using such?

I am set at 12 now.

Thanks

Pugsy

Re: Nasal pillow mask and pressure?

Post by Pugsy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:46 pm

No limit to speak of. There are people using nasal pillows with bilevel machines and pressures above 20 cm.
I myself routinely see 18 cm and higher (and have for nearly 4 years) and I have never used anything other than a nasal pillow mask.
For some reason some DMEs have said that the nasal pillows won't work at higher pressures but I have no idea where they got that old wives tale.
Your pressure of 12 cm is easily managed with nasal pillows.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:47 pm

I have a friend who uses it at 22 cm on his Bipap.

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks for the quick responses.

I will give it a try.

GayleM

Post by GayleM » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:26 am

I started out using a nasal pillow mask when I was put on CPAP a little over 2 months ago. Switched to BiPAP a month ago, pressure is 21. It was okay, I slept pretty well with it after getting the correct size determined, although it was never what I would call comfortable. I started having leakage issues 2 or 3 weeks ago which became pretty bad this past week. Went to DME, who couldn't really determine why it was leaking so badly. I think it's got something to do with the fact that my nose is pretty narrow. I bought a Mirage Activa LT nasal mask this past Friday (after a sleepless night). I had issues last night with minor leakage, but I think I got those figured out. AND I think this is much more comfortable than the nasal pillow.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:24 am

GayleM wrote:I started out using a nasal pillow mask when I was put on CPAP a little over 2 months ago. Switched to BiPAP a month ago, pressure is 21. It was okay, I slept pretty well with it after getting the correct size determined, although it was never what I would call comfortable. I started having leakage issues 2 or 3 weeks ago which became pretty bad this past week. Went to DME, who couldn't really determine why it was leaking so badly. I think it's got something to do with the fact that my nose is pretty narrow. I bought a Mirage Activa LT nasal mask this past Friday (after a sleepless night). I had issues last night with minor leakage, but I think I got those figured out. AND I think this is much more comfortable than the nasal pillow.
It's possible that you were due for new nasal pillows...that's how mine fail, they start leaking badly. But if you're happier with the nasal mak anyways, guess it really doesn't matter *smile*.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

GayleM

Post by GayleM » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 am

RogerSC wrote:
GayleM wrote:I started out using a nasal pillow mask when I was put on CPAP a little over 2 months ago. Switched to BiPAP a month ago, pressure is 21. It was okay, I slept pretty well with it after getting the correct size determined, although it was never what I would call comfortable. I started having leakage issues 2 or 3 weeks ago which became pretty bad this past week. Went to DME, who couldn't really determine why it was leaking so badly. I think it's got something to do with the fact that my nose is pretty narrow. I bought a Mirage Activa LT nasal mask this past Friday (after a sleepless night). I had issues last night with minor leakage, but I think I got those figured out. AND I think this is much more comfortable than the nasal pillow.
It's possible that you were due for new nasal pillows...that's how mine fail, they start leaking badly. But if you're happier with the nasal mak anyways, guess it really doesn't matter *smile*.
How long should the pillows last? I had only been using them for about 6 weeks when I started waking up when I had the excess leakage. When I went in for my memory card to be read last Monday, I was asked if I knew that I was having leakages. She wasn't terribly concerned, though, because she said it was still below the acceptable levels.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Some people get 2 weeks and some get a month or better. If your having leakage problems it's time to change. I use to clean mine everyday but I'm no longer on nasal pillows.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Pillows should last longer than 6 weeks - mine have! What can happen is that the headgear straps stretch a bit, so the seal is not like it used to be. Try tightening them a bit, and you may find the leaks improve. Also, make sure the pillows are "squeaky clean" before you put them on - that can affect leaks as well, IMHO.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Life of nasal pillows seems to vary between people. Unsure why. Maybe skin oils and cleaning regiment impact the life.
Even Medicare allows 2 per month so it is assumed that lasting only 2 weeks is not uncommon.
GayleM wrote:How long should the pillows last?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:10 pm

SleepyToo2 wrote:Pillows should last longer than 6 weeks - mine have! What can happen is that the headgear straps stretch a bit, so the seal is not like it used to be. Try tightening them a bit, and you may find the leaks improve. Also, make sure the pillows are "squeaky clean" before you put them on - that can affect leaks as well, IMHO.
Yes, had to get up the other night and wash nasal pillows so that they would seal properly. Reminded me that I need to do every day that no matter what *smile*.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Philips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask

4betterO2

Post by 4betterO2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Pugsy wrote:it is assumed that lasting only 2 weeks is not uncommon.
wow... could be quite expensive!
My DME sells them only as a full set, includes the head gear!
Is it possible to buy only the nose inserts, and have those covered by insurance?
Do you know an online store that does that (including, -- am I dreaming -- files for insurance and makes you pay only the copay)?
PR Dreamstation BiPap ASV, WISP nasal mask with magnets

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:56 pm

If your paying cash a good place to look is ebay.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:20 pm

4betterO2 wrote:My DME sells them only as a full set, includes the head gear!
Is it possible to buy only the nose inserts, and have those covered by insurance?
Do you know an online store that does that (including, -- am I dreaming -- files for insurance and makes you pay only the copay)?
I would be getting a new DME. There's no excuse for not offering the nasal pillows as a replacement item.
They can buy them as replacement items in bulk and sell one or two at a time if they would just do it.
Even my little hometown DME offers replacement pillows without forcing someone to buy the whole mask setup.
I can go get 2 nasal pillows a month if I wanted to and have my insurance pay for all but my copay.
EBay is also a source...of course no insurance coverage but not long ago I bought 4 nasal pillows for my mask for $25 and that included shipping. That's about $6 a nasal pillow...my co pay is more than that.

There are some online DME stores who will file insurance...places like Liberty Medical and a couple of others that I don't remember the names. They have to have your insurance information and RX and all that.

justpam

Post by justpam » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:56 pm

I also use the nasal pillows and they do well with my own pressure of 14. I clean mine often but not as often as I should, I'm sure.
I still get around 8 weeks or so out of each.

NationWide Medical is another company that takes care of filing/claiming with your insurance, too. I use them for supplies covered by my insurance.
I got my first S9 from a brick and mortar DME but I refused to deal with them for supplies. My insurance had no problem paying one place
for the machine and another for supplies.