Does different mask affect AHI?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
edm_msu

Does different mask affect AHI?

Post by edm_msu » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 am

Previously, I was using the Swift FX nasal pillows. My typical AHI was 1 or less. Now I am using the Aloha nasal pillows. My typical AHI is 2 to 3. Do you think this is caused by the different mask or is this normal variation?

growing

Re: Does different mask affect AHI?

Post by growing » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:28 am

The major variable would be the leak-level. I would into that. But, as is evident from my posts, my level of knowledge and experience on this subject has enormous scope to grow. In this Forum of nice people, I am growing.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 am

edm_msu wrote:Previously, I was using the Swift FX nasal pillows. My typical AHI was 1 or less. Now I am using the Aloha nasal pillows. My typical AHI is 2 to 3. Do you think this is caused by the different mask or is this normal variation?
I've never worn the Alahoa, but it seems to be a stiffer mask. Are the nasal pillows double layered like the swift fx? When I was using the Opus 360, a stiff mask, I was constantly battling leaks, so my ahi was higher.

From what the peeps at the sleep center have told me, the pressure is better with a nasal pillow mask than with a full face mask - so the difference in AHI will be higher with the full face if you've had the nasal pillows to compare, but from nasal pillow to nasal pillow? If there are no leaks, there shouldn't be that much difference - going by their reasoning (the full face has more space to fill with air than the nasal pillows do).

Do you have a program that shows leaks? You might want to check it, if you do. Do you feel air around mask when you put it on? Or can you hear it?

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 am

The charts are not in front of me now, so this is from memory. The leaks are about the same. They both have almost no leaks during the night, with short periods of leaks. I do not remember any correlation between leaks and events at the same time.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:13 am

How long have you been using your new mask? Sometimes a change really shakes things up for a few days - and then everything settles back down.

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 am

Last night was my 10th night using the Aloha.
quietmorning wrote:edm_msu wrote:
Previously, I was using the Swift FX nasal pillows. My typical AHI was 1 or less. Now I am using the Aloha nasal pillows. My typical AHI is 2 to 3. Do you think this is caused by the different mask or is this normal variation?

I've never worn the Alahoa, but it seems to be a stiffer mask. Are the nasal pillows double layered like the swift fx? When I was using the Opus 360, a stiff mask, I was constantly battling leaks, so my ahi was higher.
The Aloha does have stiffer "prongs". I would not consider them stiff though. The FX "prongs" are very flexible.

quietmorning

Post by quietmorning » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:03 am

edm_msu wrote:Last night was my 10th night using the Aloha.
quietmorning wrote:edm_msu wrote:

The Aloha does have stiffer "prongs". I would not consider them stiff though. The FX "prongs" are very flexible.
Hmmm...yeah, you should have been long adjusted by now. I don't have any other thoughts. Weird. Hope you get it figured out.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 am

The thing to remember is that one night does not say much. We all have enough variability from night to night that such a comparison is meaningless.

If you want to find out if there really is a difference ... use one mask exclusively for a couple of weeks and average your AHI. Then use the other mask exclusively for a couple of weeks (without changing anything else) and average the AHI. Then you can do a meaningful comparison.

Edit: OK just noticed you have been using for several nights ... so maybe your question is answered.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.