First night with swift fx

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Al N

First night with swift fx

Post by Al N » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 am

I just got up from my first night with the swift fx. While I didn't sleep straight through like I wanted. Haven't been able to since cpap. The comfort was amazing after fighting several ff masks and leaks and sores. I slept well until the mouth leaks would wake me. I did finally get up and try some tape about 530 and worked great. (I had to order the chinstrap) I also talked them into lowering my pressure from 18 to 16. The change didn't seem to hurt my ahI 2.4 which isn't any worse and a little better than most nights. I was anxious to look at sleepyhead but my computer crashed yesterday so it might be a day or two. All in all I think good progress. Oh and I have an appointment with the neourogylist that read my sleep study next week. Hadn't heard a word out of him since my study

hopingitworks

Re: First night with swift fx

Post by hopingitworks » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:15 am

Al N wrote:I slept well until the mouth leaks would wake me.
Same problem I have but the frequency of the leaks is lessening. I tape up every second night but still get some mouth leaks that wake me up even with the tape on-dry mouth....ugh!

Congratulations on your first night with the nasal pillows. Although I have only used one other mask (hybrid), the nasal pillows do seem the most comfortable for me. If you decide to use them permanently be sure to change it in your profile.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:25 am

Congrats - you are experiencing what a lot of Swift FX lovers know now. It is a freedom to have such a little mask on your face & still be getting great therapy. I personally use the Piliaro a lot of the time, and use the Swift FX most of the rest of the time. I like variety in changing masks.

If youv'e ordered the chinstap, that will help in keep you mouth closed. You may be able to train yourself to keep your mouth closed during sleep. I read this here & it worked for me: Try keeping your tongue on the roof of your mouth, just behind your upper teeth. It helps train the mouth to stay closed and if it comes open your tongue being on the roof of your mouth keeps any air from escaping.

Sounds like you are well on your way to great therapy.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

Al N

Post by Al N » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for the tip I've been trying it for about three days now. I've been a mouth breather all of my life. So I've been afraid of the nasal mask but had to make a change. I've been breathing entirely through my nose for three days while I'm awake. The tounge trick seems to help. Really encouraged about the progress. I did have a little congestion this morgning but not to bad. Used some saline spray. Might have to get some nasanex

tkay714

Post by tkay714 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 am

I am brand new to Swift FX too a week out. I had a full face mask and couldn't tolerate it. This one is great.
Do you need large or small nasal pillows? I have one of each I can send or trade you for mediums.
My mouth falls open too. I got the chin strap but you have to keep it on and cinch it tight or your mouth will still open.
I haven't wanted to use mine because it has to be tight. But since I am opening my mouth, the CPAP is useless. Soooo, I'm going to try it.

Al N

Post by Al N » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:10 am

Do you need large or small nasal pillows? I have one of each I can send or trade you for mediums.

Unfortunately medium for me too. But I did have the same thought. It's a good idea if you can find the right person

base2balls

Post by base2balls » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 am

I've had my Swift FX for about 2 years and love it. I sleep much better with it than I had with the nasal mask. I didn't like waking up with a triangle shape ring around my nose and of course it would be gone by the time I got dressed and such, but the FX is a much more comfortable mask. I don't have any trouble with mouth leaks as I'm not a mouth breather. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay

Al N

Post by Al N » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 am

by base2balls on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 am

I've had my Swift FX for about 2 years and love it. I sleep much better with it than I had with the nasal mask. I didn't like waking up with a triangle shape ring around my nose and of course it would be gone by the time I got dressed and such, but the FX is a much more comfortable mask. I don't have any trouble with mouth leaks as I'm not a mouth breather. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay

Thanks Fay glad you had success and hope it works for me too