Red Light

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sir NoddinOff

Re: Red Light

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:05 pm

Girls, girls, girls. Let's not get touchy. Read this and tell me how it works for you (Tip: I'd put down a tarp for the first try):
http://www.wikihow.com/Urinate-Standing-up-As-a-Female

Chicago Granny: That avatar is pretty hot... I think I recognize you. Didn't you shoot me down in Chicago's old Draft Pick bar round about 1965?

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Must have been someone else. My drinking and carousing days were pretty much over by '65.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Eddie Fasolino

Post by Eddie Fasolino » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:36 pm

jencat824 wrote: Most females would find the chamber pot process too much trouble, not to mention gross. Guess this works for your guys.
All us stand up guys (no pun intended) consider it gross.
Eddie (The Sandman) Fasolino

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:49 pm

If you don't "p" in my pond, I promise not to swim in your pot.

gomer

Post by gomer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Call it what you wish, chamber pot, slop jar, p-jug whatever...sure beats a hike to the outhouse in the middle of the nite. many many moons ago when I was a little lad living out in the back woods, we did not have bathrooms, toilets, heck we did not even have running water.

When I was four we moved and had RUNNING water!

I keep a P-jar in my nite stand, car, garage whatever...as needed.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Aw, come on!!! I remember my aunt having a chamber pot in each bedroom for the kids in their old farm house. Since I was one who always woke up once a night in the middle of the night and needed to piddle I sure appreciated that chamber pot. Especially during the winter! They were all good looking and two of them matched the pitcher and wash bowl in the room. The one in the room I slept in whilst there had a pretty cornflower design on it.

Gomer, why my husband left home in the backwoods of Maine to join the Marine Corps in 1958 they still had no running water in the house, they had a well two of the boys hand dug and stoned the walls, they still cooked and baked w/a wood stove and they still heated the house w/a wood stove. My first trip back to the ole homestead in Maine they still had an outhouse and the well and the wood stove for heating but had graduated to a bottle gas cooking stove. By that time (1973) his mom had passed and his dad was living in Bangor and the old homestead was just used by family for hunting trips and vacations. We have a tremendous snapshot of our youngest daughter coming out of the outhouse (her first experience w/one) holding her nose w/one hand and trying to pull up her britches w/the other.

I remember us having an ice box and a wringer washer. And remember the first oleomargerines?? The white stuff in the plastic bag w/the orange button you had to press and break and then knead the white stuff until it turned yellow from the stuff in the orange button??

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

wildflowertx

Post by wildflowertx » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:55 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
CowFish wrote:http://www.space.com/18917-astronauts-i ... bulbs.html

Anyone use a red light when they wake up in the middle of the night and need to go back to sleep?
None of them read the article you linked to. They think you are asking about what kind of flashlight or nightlight to use.
In simple terms, the color red reverses the process. Melatonin increases, making the astronaut sleepy, while melanopsin is suppressed.

Interesting. Red light is what amateur astronomers (and pros as well) use as we move around our telescopes at night, for reading charts and such, in order to maintain eye adaptation in the dark so we can see more/better. Never knew it made us sleepy too...

Steph

Treatment started 11/27/12

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 am

wildflowertx wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:

Anyone use a red light when they wake up in the middle of the night and need to go back to sleep?
None of them read the article you linked to. They think you are asking about what kind of flashlight or nightlight to use.
In simple terms, the color red reverses the process. Melatonin increases, making the astronaut sleepy, while melanopsin is suppressed.

Interesting. Red light is what amateur astronomers (and pros as well) use as we move around our telescopes at night, for reading charts and such, in order to maintain eye adaptation in the dark so we can see more/better. Never knew it made us sleepy too...
It's also used in dark rooms to process printing from film.

If you have the need for a night call, xpap treatment should stop that. You need to get your prostate function checked, your pap data checked to make sure it's working correctly. I use OTC drugs to keep the plumbing open. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

VVV

Post by VVV » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:34 pm

After reading the article, I took your question to be, "Could having a red light burning while you are trying to sleep help you sleep?"

Well the article clearly says red light increases melatonin production and decreases melanopsin (a new word for me) production.

I am skeptical, but if I had a red light I would try it.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will come along and spread some light (total spectrum ) on this subject.
Last edited by VVV on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.....................................V

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:56 pm

I understand the blue/white light wakes you up, while red light makes you drowsy bit;
but has anyone stopped to realize that a major factor in astronaut sleeplessness
may actually be their personalities? Type-A's generally emerge from the competitive pool
that yields astronauts and other high achievers. They also have problems relaxing, as a general rule.
It's just the way they are wired.

lazer

Post by lazer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Here. Just open this thread to this page when you need to fall back to sleep.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:I have a big clock with a red LED display which gives me plenty of light for minor stuff. Red light can be helpful I think.
Slightly OT but here goes:
Now I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce my faithful sidekick: THE PEE JUG . It's called a 'chamber pot' in polite society but I call it my p-jug. I've found over the last year that if I walk down the hallway to the other side of the house, then use the bathroom, then walk back to bed, I tend to wake up more than I like. My current strategy is to roll out of bed, grab the p-jug and do my business (careful not to miss the jug), then roll back into bed. Okay gals, this may not be for you... sorry . Anyway, I'm all done in a few minutes and it's easy to see what I'm doing because the clocks big red LED is always on.
I hope you don't throw it out of your windows like some truckers do while going down the Interstate.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:33 pm

That is a huge fine in some states. Maybe even jail time.

gomer

Post by gomer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Aircraft instrument lights are RED to preserve night vision, ask any top gun.

VVV

Post by VVV » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:44 pm

gomer wrote:Aircraft instrument lights are RED to preserve night vision, ask any top gun.
True. The instrumentation lights on my sailboat are red for the same reason. I have been told the pupils will not adjust downward due to exposure to red light.

But again, I had never heard the information about melatonin/melanopsin.
.....................................V