OT: Tragic Shooting.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: OT: Tragic Shooting.

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Follow the money. There is lots of money in selling guns and gun culture. If you took the guns away the prison population might go down and that means less profit for the prison owners.

Keep the conspiracy cults growing. Buy Buy Buy!

What are a few children compared to money money money? Just collateral damage.

Proposed new school:

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:36 pm

I think a lot has to do with the video games they play now days, nothing but killing, killing and more killing until killing is just a game. When it's over your suppose to get up and be normal but your dead.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:11 pm

This is the complete list provided by Connecticut State Police of who was killed Friday in the Newtown School Shooting, along with their gender and date of birth. Of the 20 children killed, 12 were girls and eight were boys. They were all 6 or 7 years old.

Charlotte Bacon, F, 02/22/06
Daniel Barden, M, 09/25/05
Rachel Davino, F, 07/17/83
Olivia Engel, F, 07/18/06
Josephine Gay, F, 12/11/05
Ana M. Marquez-Greene, F, 04/04/06
Dylan Hockley, M, 03/08/06
Dawn Hocksprung, F, 06/28/65
Madeleine F. Hsu, F, 07/10/06
Catherine V. Hubbard, F, 06/08/06
Chase Kowalski, M, 10/31/05
Jesse Lewis, M, 06/30/05
James Mattioli, M, 03/22/06
Grace McDonnell, F, 11/04/05
Anne Marie Murphy, F, 07/25/60
Emilie Parker, F, 05/12/06
Jack Pinto, M, 05/06/06
Noah Pozner, M, 11/20/06
Caroline Previdi, F, 09/07/06
Jessica Rekos, F, 05/10/06
Avielle Richman, F, 10/17/06
Lauren Russeau, F, 06/82
Mary Sherlach, F, 02/11/56
Victoria Soto, F, 11/04/85
Benjamin Wheeler, M, 09/12/06
Allison N. Wyatt, F, 07/03/06
...other than food...

hyperlexis

Post by hyperlexis » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Enough of this!

Why is this even on a thread on this forum? Just for morbid criosity? Like gaping at a car accident?

Want to list something? List out the names, phone numbers, and addresses of local, state and federal elected officials who should, must, finally do something about this!

An assault weapons ban that expired years ago and our gutless congressmen wouldnt renew.... How's that for a start. How about severe limits on gun magazine clips?

Or will we just have more of the same? The obligatory wailing and putting on ashes and sack cloth over dead children after one of these events. While doing absolutely nothing before the next time someone shoots up a crowd of people.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:40 pm

hyperlexis wrote:
An assault weapons ban that expired years ago and our gutless congressmen wouldnt renew.... How's that for a start. How about severe limits on gun magazine clips?

Or will we just have more of the same?
More of the same, I fear. Those who want the ability to spray bullets with semiautomatic weapons have a more powerful lobby than those who want to protect children.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:42 pm

RandyJ wrote:Interesting fact: Australia banned semiautomatic weapons in 1996. In the 20 years prior, they had 13 mass shootings. Since then, none.
Cherry-picking statistics doesn't give the complete picture.
Problem is, "assaults" and "violent crime" (in general) have exploded in the land down under since then. If you take away the ability for a person to protect/defend themselves, they are more likely to become "victims".

The statistics are readily available from the Australian Institute of Criminology on the web.

There are just way too many "sick" people on the loose in this world......and there always has been......they just get more media attention nowadays.

At least they foiled an attempted mass murder in a school in Oklahoma yesterday.

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:59 pm

hyperlexis wrote:Enough of this!

Why is this even on a thread on this forum? Just for morbid criosity? Like gaping at a car accident?
I believe the original intent was
jabman wrote:Please pray for those that are affected today by the School Shooting in Newtown Connecticut.
...other than food...

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:05 pm

squid13 wrote:I think a lot has to do with the video games they play now days, nothing but killing, killing and more killing until killing is just a game. When it's over your suppose to get up and be normal but your dead.
I have killed many thousands in C&C and Red Alert war Sims, all without going on a mass killing spree. I also made it through Viet Nam, without having my mind warped, I do have the mindset to do what needs to be done if necessary. It's been a while since I used full auto, eyes are now poor even so I wouldn't face my M-14 A2 at 400 meters.

Killing in video games make a good blame, but it's home values that are lacking, and morals. Everyone that does something bad is labeled CRAZY. It's just another excuse for social failures. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

deltadave

Post by deltadave » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 pm

This is Victoria. She died a hero today. She hid her first graders in the cabinets and closets after hearing the gunfire. When the shooter came to her classroom, she told him that her students were in the gym. He then gunned her down and moved on. She saved the lives of all of her students. Please pass this on if you see it. She deserves to be remembered for her bravery.
...other than food...

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Did you all hear the lead policeman (Vance ??) say that they were placing one trooper at each victim's family's home to protect their privacy and suggested that the media allow the families that privacy? For crying out loud there were "reporters" interviewing children who had been in the school during the shooting on camera!!!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

SleepyToo2

Post by SleepyToo2 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:55 pm

Slinky wrote:Did you all hear the lead policeman (Vance ??) say that they were placing one trooper at each victim's family's home to protect their privacy and suggested that the media allow the families that privacy? For crying out loud there were "reporters" interviewing children who had been in the school during the shooting on camera!!!!!
This just reinforces what a sick world we live in today. It's time we got back to treating one another with the respect we each deserve.

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Problem is, "assaults" and "violent crime" (in general) have exploded in the land down under since then. If you take away the ability for a person to protect/defend themselves, they are more likely to become "victims".
Wow, talk about inflammatory comments. The above quote is clearly incorrect. Even a cursory look at crime figures from 'down under' shows all serious crimes except one, kidnapping, have decreased. In fact homicides in Australia since 1996 have decreased by 27%. Only 260 in 2010. So i'm not sure about the 'explosion' of violent crime in Australia. Mind you, when you have an agenda.....

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Recorded assault increased again in 2007, to 840 per 100,000, compared with 623 per 100,000 in 1996. The 2007 rate was the highest recorded since 1996.

The rate for robbery peaked in 2001. Rates have declined by 38 percent since 2001, to 86 per 100,000 per year.

The rate of kidnapping remained between three and four per 100,000 per year from 1996 to 2007.

The homicide rate was 1.9 per 100,000 in 1996 (which includes the 35 victims of the Port Arthur massacre) and was at its
highest in 1999, at 2.0 per 100,000. In 2007, the rate was 1.3 per 100,000, the lowest recorded (since 1996).

The rate of recorded sexual assault increased between 1997 and 2007, from 78 to 94 persons per 100,000 per year.

The ABS defines assault as the direct infliction of force, injury or violence upon a person, including attempts or threats. It excludes sexual assault.

There were 176,427 recorded assaults in Australia in 2007, constituting 840 victims per 100,000 of the population.

The trend in assaults shows an average growth of five percent each year from 1995 to 2007, four times the annual growth of the Australian population in the same period.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Guest wrote:Cherry-picking statistics doesn't give the complete picture.
So why are you doing it then

Obviously just another drive-by!

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:45 pm

billbolton wrote:
Guest wrote:Cherry-picking statistics doesn't give the complete picture.
So why are you doing it then

Obviously just another drive-by!
Been here quite a bit longer than you have been, Bill.

Besides, I didn't start the political garbage in this thread. I just saw that one stat quoted that didn't give the bigger picture.
Lots of "crime" has decreased in the U S, too, but the media makes it look worse than it is.

To get back to the original purpose of this thread, my prayers are with the families of those who were lost yesterday.