Anyone want to know how Marijuana affects OSA & Cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
McSnoresalot

Anyone want to know how Marijuana affects OSA & Cpap?

Post by McSnoresalot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:00 pm

....because in 3 weeks I can begin LEGALLY testing the effects of hippy lettuce on the Facehugger......bwaaaahahahahahaha.....

Any takers? - no, really, legal or not, Wifey is not going to be down with smoking the ganja unless I can come up with some reason to justify partaking.

Haven't smoked the chronic in better than 20 years (college experimentation - yeah, that's what it was) - field I work in requires testing so it has never been worth the risk.

I do remember that cotton mouth was a side-effect, expect it might be even worse on the machine.

Twinkies, chips, donuts, etc... all seemed to taste better - suspect that weight gain might be another side-effect.

Maybe I can get some grant money to test and write a white paper or something - I KNOW I can to a comparative study the effects of weed on Cpap vs. the effects of Alcohol (I have already completed a LOT of field studies on the latter)

Mac

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Anyone want to know how Marijuana affects OSA & Cpap?

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:19 pm

Cannot help you, we've had volunteer plants in our yard a couple times; and killed it off both times,
due to the prevalence in our neighborhood of "yard Nazis".
Too bad, too, the first time, the plants were 8 ft tall, and tinged with red.
We suspected imported seed.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:25 pm

One member uses it to replace some nasty pain killers (legally) and it has helped his OSA in that the pain killers were causing a lot of it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm from Santa Cruz county California and if I remember correctly, the local voters mandated that everyone is required to smoke pot at least once a day. Just kIdding folks - but not by much. Anyway, I think it should be legal for valid medical conditions including OSA, but when I use pot it makes me so paranoid I feel like I have to sleep with a loaded gun under my pillow... I'd be worried that I'd accidentally shoot myself in the head or maybe even plug my CPAP machine. Wonder how the Resperonics warranty would handle gunshot holes???

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:24 pm

I don't see how filling you lungs with any kind of smoke will do anything but shorten your life.

While I think that a doctor should be able to prescribe anything that heals, or reduces suffering, the approval of prescription mj here in CA has been nothing but a farce. There are dozens of "medical clinics" in every community around here, and if you think it is only being sold to people suffering from medical issues, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

This is what you can expect if it's legalized in your state:

Of course these days, doing what feels good trumps moral behavior.

Java

Post by Java » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:45 pm

JeffL wrote:I don't see how filling you lungs with any kind of smoke will do anything but shorten your life.

Marijuana is available in edible form (brownies, cookies, candies, sodas, etc..), in pill form, as a cream, and as a vapor used in a vaporizer, so it doesn't necessarily have to fill your lungs.

I don't know if marijuana would help OSA or not. Perhaps it might help some people relax and sleep, and others it might cause paranoia or cause them to simply laugh uncontrollably at the silly mask on their face preventing them from eating snacks.
Java :)

Fifty Shades of Exhausted!

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Just so nobody gets confused, the feds still consider marijuana illegal, even if the state says it's legal. In the few cases where the feds have pushed the issue, the feds always win.

Whether the feds will bother is another issue. They've done a little growling, but haven't been doing a lot of actual criminal prosecution.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:59 pm

I'll be glad when the whole country stops wasting money on enforcing anti-marijuana laws.
I have always believed you should be able to grow your for personal use. It's a plant.
Why is OK to ferment and distill PLANTS, but not smoke or cook PLANTS?

Because my parent's generation watched all those freaky propaganda films in the 50's.

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Mature adults should be able to make their own decisions about whether or not to use marihuana. I don't see how it is worse than alcohol. There just isn't a scientific basis for the Reefer Madness scenario. I also think legalization would do a lot to undermine the ruthless drug cartel profits. There was a piece on NPR about this today. The demographics and priorities of Americans are changing in good ways.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 pm

The war on drugs is very profitable and rewarding for the government.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

reneee

Post by reneee » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:30 pm

so....why will you have it prescribed? I hope it is not for anxiety or depression, or if you have a compromised immune system. Yes, it is a plant, but so are opium poppies, tobacco, psychedelic mushrooms, cocaine (coca leaves), and it has been genetically modified to contain high amounts of THC, and not CBD which was originally the "natural" ingredient that was supposed to help anxiety etc. Try googling medical dangers of marijuana if you really want to be informed. (Tashkin and the Harvard studies are the best) This post is a little old, but I don't think much has changed. 21stcenturysciencetech ,articles,marijuana Dangerous fraud. I would think about it.
Here is another reason:
Microbiological contaminants of marijuana
McPartland JM, Journal of the International Hemp Association 1: 41-44.
Abstract:
Use of marijuana as a medicament is on the rise. Many medical marijuana users have a suppressed immune system, owing to their disease or treatment. Herbal marijuana, whether field grown or hydroponically cultivated, contains many microorganisms. Many of these organisms may pose a threat to immunosuppressed individuals. The microflora of marijuana is well described in the literature. Similarly, the microflora that cause opportunistic infections in AIDS patients is well documented. These separate literatures are correlated with commentary, and methods for detecting and eliminating microbial contaminants are discussed. Best wishes.

MidnightOwl

Post by MidnightOwl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:34 am

McSnoresalot wrote:....because in 3 weeks I can begin LEGALLY testing the effects of hippy lettuce on the Facehugger......bwaaaahahahahahaha.....

Any takers? - no, really, legal or not, Wifey is not going to be down with smoking the ganja unless I can come up with some reason to justify partaking.

Haven't smoked the chronic in better than 20 years (college experimentation - yeah, that's what it was) - field I work in requires testing so it has never been worth the risk.

Well I was all set to play along and request that you make the experiment for my education when I read that last line. And I'm recalling that medical marijuana laws have not trumped employers right to fire for using. And that many of the employment protection laws are federal and probably wouldn't do much to protect you from violating what still is federal law. Besides I'm sure there are lots of unemployed or retirees who'd love to volunteer in your place. Wondering about a trip westward myself one of these days. (for the scenery! )

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:54 am

eeckel wrote:Mature adults should be able to make their own decisions about whether or not to use marihuana. I don't see how it is worse than alcohol. There just isn't a scientific basis for the Reefer Madness scenario. I also think legalization would do a lot to undermine the ruthless drug cartel profits. There was a piece on NPR about this today. The demographics and priorities of Americans are changing in good ways.
You think its not a problem???? I would like to introduce you to my younger sister. She has been smoking pot for many years is is totally around the bend.

Java

Post by Java » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:14 am

reneee wrote:so....why will you have it prescribed? I hope it is not for anxiety or depression, or if you have a compromised immune system. Yes, it is a plant, but so are opium poppies, tobacco, psychedelic mushrooms, cocaine (coca leaves), and it has been genetically modified to contain high amounts of THC, and not CBD which was originally the "natural" ingredient that was supposed to help anxiety etc.
I am in California, and I know someone with a California Medical Marijuana card. They are legally allowed (per the state, not federally) to grow 12 plants; 6 in flower and 6 in vegetation stage. Currently they are growing high CBD strains and it does help with anxiety but more so pain relief (Fibromyalgia and Arthritis). It seems safer than many of the pain killers either prescribed or OTC (You've all heard the TV commercials for these drugs where the side effects sound 100x worse than the reason you are taking them in the first place). I also know a diabetic whose blood glucose levels are shockingly maintained when medicating with marijuana (in conjunction with Metaglip) . Most people say marijuana causes the "munchies" which can make your blood sugar go up, but if you resist those cravings, you might just see a huge improvement in blood glucose and A1C. When this person doesn't medicate with marijuana, the Metaglip alone doesn't control the blood glucose levels as well. Just my 2 cents.
Java :)

Fifty Shades of Exhausted!

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:16 am

I wonder what happens if you have a car accident and the other party's lawyer finds out you have a medical MJ card.

Useful Links.