International Travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kfmac50

International Travel

Post by kfmac50 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:31 pm

I am looking for a reliable power converter for my Fisher & Pakel Healthcare SleepStyle 2000 cpap. This unit is set up to only use 110 volt 60 Hz US power. The last time I went to Italy I purchased the best power converter I could find. Unfortunately, the first time I plugged my cpap into the converter, it destroyed my cpap power supply within seconds. If anyone has a solution for this problem I'd love to hear about it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: International Travel

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:13 pm

bump

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Lost my last reply.

Ther are 2 bacic things that get confused....

PLUG ADapters... allow you to change the plug, but ive full 220 volts...

a power transformer.... steps down the voltage.

I suspect that the last time you had a plug adapeter...

MANY NEWER MACHINES can handle european power... which is 220 volts 50 cycle... look at your machine.... if it says things like 220/110v 50/60cycle... then you can live with a plug adapetr..

If it says 110 v 60 cycle then you need a t4ransformer... they come in sizes, usuyally stated in WATTs... You probably need one that is at least 500 wats, if not a 1000. (if you wnat hte hunidifier)
REad up on the threads opn campiong, where people are looking for inverters, the same thing applies here.

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index. ... og1_0.html

I know that my RESMED S9, can handle 220 volts.... so when i WENT OVER TO eUROPPE, i JUST NEEDED A PLUG ADAPTER.

I did not find a 2000, but the product manual for a SleepStyle™ 230 CPAP
says"

Can I use my device in other countries?
Yes. Simply use the appropriate electrical socket adaptor and the device will automatically adapt to any voltage supply.
Note: When moving your device, ensure that the water chamber is empty. Machine failure due to water damage is not covered by warranty.

so it all depends on theage of the machine...

eeckel

Post by eeckel » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm

I found this thread and it's clear that adapter and voltage issues are easily managed during international travel with CPAP. I have not been able to find advice or stories about going through customs of various countries with a CPAP machine. This is stressing me out.

I just went on a short trip to the Caribbean and after much dithering decided to not take my CPAP machine and try Provent. My pulmonologist encouraged me to do this. I am doubtful about the efficacy of Provent after reading the threads on this forum. I recognize that there has been a multi-site randomized controlled trial on Provent. The significant issue with that trial is whether or not the criteria for efficacy is appropriately defined.

I found it easy to adapt to the restricted exhale with the Provent. I did not wake myself up by snoring or gasping for air. I'm always grateful for this. I had vivid dreams while using Provent. I correlate this with rapid eye movement and restorative sleep. Experientially my sleep with Provent was comparable to sleep with CPAP. I realize this is just an anecdotal report and not real evidence. I am looking for feedback and perspective about using Provent as an alternative to CPAP while traveling.

I have a three week trip to South America coming up in August and I will be responsible for the well being of ten students. I need to be at the top of my game during this trip. If you have international travel experience, please share what it was like to go through customs. How did you travel with CPAP?

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 pm

I know my Resmed VPAP has an converter built in to the power lead. I used it in china last year and no problems. I am going to singapore and Manila next week to will see how it goes.