Thoughts on the Sleepweaver textile mask please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
graceyd

Thoughts on the Sleepweaver textile mask please

Post by graceyd » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 pm

I’m really interested in the textile Sleepweaver masks and was wondering if anyone has tried them? What I really want to know is what are the pros and cons of the mask. Ultimately should I get one!?...
Some of the videos I’ve watched show that you have to learn how to tweak it to get it to seal, was this easy to do and did it seal? I’ve noticed lots of people say it’s comfortable but what makes it comfortable? And what’s the material like – does it feel different to a standard silicon/plastic mask. Finally if I didn’t like it is it true that I can return it for free? Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks for your Help....GraceyD

graceyd

Re: Thoughts on the Sleepweaver textile mask please

Post by graceyd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:20 pm

Surely someone must have tried these masks? Anyone have any pointers? Gx

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:45 pm

There are a few Sleepweaver users here but they may not have been here yet or seen your request.
Some discussion in the past about them
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80531&p=732822&hili ... an#p732822

and this one has lots of discussion
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79105&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=elan

Would it work for you and should you get one? We really have no way to know if you will have success with it or not.
There is more than one model though...
Masks preferences are highly individualized. What I might love someone else might hate and what they might love I might hate.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

2kittymom

Post by 2kittymom » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm

My DME provider let me take one of the Sleepweaver Advanced home to try. I tried it on 2 separate nights, and both nights I switched over to my Mirage Micro mask after a few hours, due to too many leaks. The comfort of the mask is great - it's so lightweight that you hardly feel that you have anything on your face. It's made out of parachute material. I would have it sealed well, but then when I would turn over (which I do alot of) it would spring small leaks. The company recommends that you get a special lightweight hose extension for it to keep the regular hose from tugging on it when you move (causing leaks). I didn't have that special hose.
I really want to get one to keep so I can alternate masks. But I'll definitely get the special hose extension too. I'll probably have to wait until I'm eligible to get another mask, at least 2 months.
I have seen some forum members post that they use them and love them. But masks are a personal preference thing. I guess I would recommend you get one with a return policy, in case you do not like it.
Lori

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:06 am

Sleepweaver is my mask of choice.

Its extremely comfortable and works wonderfully for me. With the new redesign my leak lines are darn near ZERO!
However, that said -- the Sleepweaver will either work for you or it won't -- no real in between, very little in the way of tweaking to make or get it to work -- it will or it won't. Fit by following the instructions, if it leaks around the eyes loosen the top a wee bit and pull the bottom straps way down low on your neck -- that's about it. YMMV
The only way to find out is to try it.

I do have an Aloha that I switch into from time to time for a change of pace -- usually for only a night or two and then its back to the Sleepweaver. That is the mask I live in.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

crazy haired mom

Post by crazy haired mom » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:56 pm

I am on my 3rd night of trying the sleepweaver. It is incredibly comfortable. Initially, it seals wonderfully. But after about 2 hours, I am having severe leaks @ the bridge of my nose & can't seem to readjust it enough to continue with it the rest of the night which is frustrating. I REALLY want this mask to work. I need it to work. My BP is getting out of control b/c of the apnea. So if anyone has any suggestions to help it seal better, I am all ears.

crazy haired mom

Post by crazy haired mom » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 pm

crazy haired mom wrote:I am on my 3rd night of trying the sleepweaver. It is incredibly comfortable. The material is VERY lightweight. There's no plastic. I have allergies & this is latex & allergen free. Initially, it seals wonderfully. But after about 2 hours, I am having severe leaks @ the bridge of my nose & can't seem to readjust it enough to continue with it the rest of the night which is frustrating. I REALLY want this mask to work. I need it to work. My BP is getting out of control b/c of the apnea. So if anyone has any suggestions to help it seal better, I am all ears.

lazer

Post by lazer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:34 pm

crazy haired mom wrote:I am on my 3rd night of trying the sleepweaver. It is incredibly comfortable. Initially, it seals wonderfully. But after about 2 hours, I am having severe leaks @ the bridge of my nose & can't seem to readjust it enough to continue with it the rest of the night which is frustrating. I REALLY want this mask to work. I need it to work. My BP is getting out of control b/c of the apnea. So if anyone has any suggestions to help it seal better, I am all ears.
I've had a similar problem. Did yours come with 2 size cushions and which one's are you using if so? I found on my SleepWeaver Elan, switching out to the larger cushion eliminated this somewhat.

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:59 pm

I have the Elan and will never use another mask (as long as they keep making it)! And I RAVED about my True Blue when I got it. Bleh - can't stand that mask now. A cloth mask is a completely different experience.

I won't repeat the info in the previous threads, but I do have a couple of comments on your specific questions.

- What makes the SW masks different from "regular" plastic masks?
They're not plastic! The elan does not have a forehead bar which I really really like. I can smoosh my face in the pillow.

- Leaks and tweaking. Leaks can be an issue, no question. Just like any other mask, either it fits your face or it doesn't. BUT, I have had two different elan masks (regular size) and they fit differently. One I had to deal with leaks the other is a dream, put it on and go to sleep! IDK if they were made differently or why they are so different. They are probably sewn by hand and anything handmade will have some variability. My DME allows me to replace this mask every three months, but a replacement cloth piece (not the plastic hose piece or the headgear) is available at cpap.com for $25. $25 is definitely worth it to me to get a mask that works.

- I have a very very narrow nose/bridge. I keep the mask down near the tip of my nose. The mask is not really made to be worn right up against your eyes. It should sit between the tip of your nose and half way up to your bridge. More than likely if the mask is sitting on the bridge of your nose then your straps are way too tight. I pull my headgear over my head to put it on and take it off, never undoing the straps. THAT'S how loose it is.

- I don't know if CPAP.com is still running the Elan special with free return insurance, but if they are it is definitely worth giving it a try. If your DME lets you check out masks then definitely give it a try. Let us know what you do!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:05 pm

jen4700 wrote: - I don't know if CPAP.com is still running the Elan special with free return insurance, but if they are it is definitely worth giving it a try.
The free return insurance is available on all SleepWeaver masks and is offered by the manufacturer. So not something that cpap.com only offers every now and then with these masks. It is standard policy offered all the time as long as Circadiance is behind it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Circadiance offers 30 days return insurance.
First time buyers should never patronize a DME who wil not honor the 30 day return policy--
-with cash or credit applicable on ANY brand mask.
CPAP.com honors it fully, including return shipping, (at least when I used it.)
The masks can also be ordered directly from Circadiance, but costs and shipping may vary.

Terribirdy

Post by Terribirdy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 pm

I've been using the Sleepweaver mask for about 6 weeks. I switched to this mask because of an allergy to the plastic/silicone mask. The Sleepweaver is comfortable - I can sleep in any position. However, occasionally the hard plastic tube dislodges from the cloth so I'm fiddling in the middle of the night trying to get it reassembled. Overall I give it a 7-8 out of 10 points for convenience and comfort. However, I felt like I got a sounder sleep when I had the full face mask on.

2kittymom

Post by 2kittymom » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:32 pm

After my tryout with the Sleepweaver Advanced in August, I purchased one myself and the lightweight hose. Now it's my favorite mask, and I use it every night. I love it. Once you get the straps adjusted enough, you really don't have problems. And, no pressure on your nose. I sure am hoping they come out with a full face one soon. I'll need it when I get a cold and can't breathe through my nose. I recommend this mask to anyone - especially is you have any claustrophobia. Once it's on, you almost don't know it's there.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 pm

Love the cloth.
I can wash my cushion in under a minute. so easy.
Way better than chasing hard water spots with a q-tip for 5 minutes every time I wash a silicone mask.

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:37 pm

I like the SleepWeaver Elan, BUT I don't love the headgear. Also, I have a few problems with leaks too. With me, headgear has become an issue. Currently I am having problems with mouthbreathing, so I'm using a chinstrap. That, along with the Elan headgear is too much on my head. Now I may be a little vain, but I have long hair & don't want to have to completely wash, dry, iron my hair every morning when its not dirty, it just has creases from headgear.

When I first found this forum, a member gave me a tip on how to use a pony tail holder to get my hair thru the headgear (headgear going under my hair) so to avoid problems with creasing (thank you!). The Elan does not work so well that way, I can't get the hair over the headgear, using pony tail holder or other devices.

Also, I cannot quite stop the leaks - not always having leaks, just sometimes. Sooooo.... if my hair is dirty & has to be washed in am anyway, I sometimes use the Elan. I know within a few minutes if it will seal or if its one of those nites it won't, If no seal, I change masks. If it seals, its a great mask for that nite. Overall if you can get a seal, its really comfortable, since its only cloth on your face, no plastic.

I know my view on this mask is complicated, but hopefully will help someone out there.
Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**