Headaches, feeling weird during the day

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PaulB1979_CANADA

Headaches, feeling weird during the day

Post by PaulB1979_CANADA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi everyone, Im heading into week 2 of using my new CPAP machine.

Certain days I felt awesome. Full of energy. Some not. Lately.. I've been getting these darn headaches in the afternoon but I don't feel tired. Always need to take some Tylenol. Also feel weird during the day, this is only been occurring for a couple of days.

Is this normal?

ozze_dollar

Re: Headaches, feeling weird during the day

Post by ozze_dollar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Make sure you are not having excessive leaking.You may need a new set of pillows.
You would not think so after just 2 weeks.

PaulB1979_CANADA

Post by PaulB1979_CANADA » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:28 pm

ozze_dollar wrote:Make sure you are not having excessive leaking.You may need a new set of pillows.
No, not much. Leaking is minimal. Pillows are brand new. Got a headache and feeling slightly dazed as Im typing, but not tired. Weird.. Took some Tylenol again.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Watch how much Tylenol (acetaminophen) you take.
That stuff is very nasty to your liver--very easy to OD.

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:43 pm

PaulB1979_CANADA wrote:Hi everyone, Im heading into week 2 of using my new CPAP machine.

Certain days I felt awesome. Full of energy. Some not. Lately.. I've been getting these darn headaches in the afternoon but I don't feel tired. Always need to take some Tylenol. Also feel weird during the day, this is only been occurring for a couple of days.

Is this normal?
Hi Paul!

I think I would first test my Blood Pressure. CPAP effectiveness varies from night to night. If you have a bad night you will likely have high blood pressure (BP) (like fourty or so points higher!) the next day and BP headaches I do remember.

I do recommend that you rig to use your CPAP data to see how things are indeed going night to night. I believe it is essential to use CPAP effectively.

The other thing that comes to mind are breathing reflexes. The sensors and systems that are supposed to keep the O2 and CO2 levels proper tend to be messed up in those who have Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA). If the stress from the day adds to this and results in over breathing CO2 washes out, metabolism is frustrated, BP goes up, and circulation - especially in the brain - is greatly reduced and modified. I have gotten rid of many a headach by using breathing re-training techniques to get the CO2 levels back where they belong which helps the blood get back to where it belongs at the proper pressure and enabled to facilitate metabolism.

On the other hand, you are new to CPAP so you may still be running with too much CO2 in your system. I do not know if this causes headaches but it tends to make one act dopy.

Which ever way the breathing reflexes are messed up they can be helped by doing exercise. Walking helps, aerobics are better, and - when you are up to it - interval training is great for these.

Have a great week!

Todzo
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:53 pm

PaulB1979_CANADA wrote:Hi everyone, Im heading into week 2 of using my new CPAP machine.

Is this normal?

Are you taking other meds, drink a lot of coffee or energy drinks?
What some people find is that good sleep causes drugs to work "better". Which means stuff like caffeine is much more potent, blood pressure medication works stronger...

Get a blood pressure monitor to check your levels during the day.

Also maybe get your blood glucose levels tested.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm

Are you checking your data? What's your AHI?

I think successfully stopping your apnea is something like stopping smoking, drinking, or drugs. Your body is out of balance from the hypoxia, hormones, sleep deprivation, and stress. You may take a while to readjust.

However, don't assume everything is related to apnea and CPAP. You can still have all the health problems "normal" people do.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.