Cpap Brain Fog??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Cpap Brain Fog??

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:33 pm

I have gotten a lot better at being aware of where I am and what I'm doing;
but I don't think I will ever be completely 'normal'--{I doubt if I ever was.}
I hope my 'blonde' (or white-haired) moments are few and far between,
and will use my machine religiously to amp up my chances that they are.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:31 pm

Lost my cordless phone the other day.

It was found a few days later when I heard a strange muffled ringing coming from a dresser drawer.

Apparently it was lost inside a pile of laundry while I was putting it away.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

jen4700

Post by jen4700 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:15 pm

Daisy - welcome to the club! You have a great sense of humor and that will definitely help the adjustment process. I, too, felt more tired after I started CPAP. Just hang in there. Now, if it goes past a month or six weeks then I would talk to your doctor because your pressure might need to be adjusted.

That darn brain fog can come back really quickly, tho! I've had sinus issues this past week and had to take the mask off in the middle of the night a couple times. Bam - it was like I'd never been on cpap!

I know you're still adjusting but maybe a different mask would work. I tried about 4 different masks in my first few weeks. You've got to find one you like or cpap will be torture!

kimbo

Post by kimbo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:30 pm

jen4700 wrote: I, too, felt more tired after I started CPAP. Just hang in there.
I'm in the same boat -- just started on a machine 5 nights ago, today someone commented that I look like a zombie. Definitely look/feel much worse then when I started. Jen4700 -- just curious how drastic the improvement was for you once things finally leveled off?

SleeplessInOttawa

Post by SleeplessInOttawa » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 am

Second night on CPAP and definitely also felt a sensation throughout the day yesterday but strongest in the first 4-5 hours being awake of "brain fog". I definitely feel it this morning! Weirdly, I don't find it super unpleasant because I'm so used to be completely exhausted when I wake up from terrible sleep.

Ironically, the night before I started on CPAP I decided not to wear the mask that night because I had an important appointment the next day. I had a far worse sleep and was far more exhausted (not foggy) from that night of my usual AHIs and other sleep disturbances than I have been so far on CPAP.

The concept of "sleep deficit" is fascinating. I am very new to all this sleep science and there seems to be dispute in the field about the legitimacy of sleep debt or deficit, but it makes a lot of intuitive sense. One article suggested that to make up sleep debt one may have to sleep for longer for a period of time: "Suffering from sleep deprivation? Catch up on the lost sleep by sleeping an extra hour or two each night. If you suffer from chronic sleep loss, it may take you a few months just to get back into a natural sleep pattern." http://www.better-sleep-better-life.com/sleep-debt.html

I have PTSD and anxiety issues and found this comment in an article fascinating:

"Investigators say their findings show that sleep loss markedly exaggerates the degree to which we anticipate impending emotional events. This overreaction often occurs among highly anxious people, making them especially vulnerable." http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/06/11 ... 39949.html
I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. -Faulkner

portiemom

Post by portiemom » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:25 am

I am sorry that you are experiencing the FOG, I've had it on and off for years. Check you meds. sometimes the combination of them can add to the foggy feeling. After 7 years on cpap, one of the guys on hear suggested I stop one of my meds and the very next day the fog was gone! For me it was Naproxen, and the thought of having that awful fog for all that time just because of a simple prescription makes me re-think every med I add to my regime. I hope you get some relief soon!