Gall bladder issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
greatunclebill

Re: Gall bladder issues

Post by greatunclebill » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:01 pm

KEQ5 wrote:I still have mine, but get attacks every 1-3 months when I don't eat right. Since its still healthy (just acting up every 1-3 months due to diet), the surgeon doesn't want to take it out.
if you're having problems that often, you may want to consider scheduled routine surgery before it turns into an emergency surgery. the surgeon isn't the one that will have undergo the emergency surgery. you will. think hard about it.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Just wanted to chime in with the others: out patient laproscopic surgery was a breeze. The worst thing (aside from the pain of the gall bladder attacks) was gas. In laproscopic surgery they sort of blow you up with air in your abdominal cavity, then that air must be expelled and I guess it eventually ends up in your colon. It was uncomfortable until it worked its way out (10 or 12 hours). Then, while my digestion system adjusted to having no gall bladder, I had horrible horrible smelling gas. It was pretty awful. But after 2 or 3 weeks that went away too. So, compared to the incredible pain of the gall bladder attacks, a little gas is no big deal.

Something no one mentioned is your XPAP therapy while in surgery and in the recovery room before you awaken. You must discuss this with your surgeon, he or she must give specific instructions. You'll want to know as many details as possible: will you use your own machine or will the hospital provide one, if the hospital provides may you bring your own mask, etc. You don't want to be recovering from surgery gasping and choking and struggling for breath.

Good luck... the worst part is the pain of the attacks, and you've already gone through that.

KEQ5

Post by KEQ5 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:13 pm

greatunclebill wrote:
KEQ5 wrote:I still have mine, but get attacks every 1-3 months when I don't eat right. Since its still healthy (just acting up every 1-3 months due to diet), the surgeon doesn't want to take it out.
if you're having problems that often, you may want to consider scheduled routine surgery before it turns into an emergency surgery. the surgeon isn't the one that will have undergo the emergency surgery. you will. think hard about it.
Yep, considering it, but also need to rule out other possibilities this fall/winter.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:37 pm

KEQ5 wrote:
greatunclebill wrote:
Yep, considering it, but also need to rule out other possibilities this fall/winter.
remember, when they are talking about you having gallstones, everybody has gallstones. it's just that for most people they flow right thru the gall bladder and don't get stuck there or in the ducts. for some of us they get stuck and cause problems. technically, a stone can get stuck after surgery.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

jzap

Post by jzap » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Komodo wrote:No connection between gall bladder & sleep apnea.
(EDIT)
POST surgery, I had to watch what I ate for a few weeks, no fatty foods, but after that I went back to eating whatever I wanted with ~zero~ problems.
(EDIT)
You are lucky. My wife has to deal with, what has become known around our house, as "the deadly combination". Bacon, orange juice, and coffee... Separately, no problem, but together, the reaction is quite unpleasant. But, she still can't give up breakfast at Walker Brothers.

SW Ohio