Recent scam artist - buyer beware

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nanwilson

Recent scam artist - buyer beware

Post by nanwilson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:29 am

Morning All
I just opened my computer and had a new message from one of the forum members regarding the S9 that was for sale last week. As I had figured it was all a scam, when this member offered to buy the machine using paypal all was lightness and joy...but once the paypal monies changed hand things went for a skid. The seller went ballistic when the buyer tried to get shipping info as to the whereabouts of the machine...the tracking number given by the seller was phony and the messages that went back and forth were not nice to say the least. He had threatened me when I disagreed with his joining the forum just to sell a machine..well he more than threatened the buyer. Fortunately for the buyer paypal is standing behind their policies, they have told the buyer that they will go after the seller and either get the machine (which I don't believe existed in the first place) or the money for him/her. I just want to inform those that want to buy a machine on the forum........please only buy from those that are trusted here or have been recommended by others. We have a few members that help others out by being able to get equipment and pass it along to those in need for a good price...but BUYER BEWARE if the poster is new and is only here to sell a machine or just scam you out of you hard earned dollars as this one was.
I don't want to start another argument about suspicious sellers or hard on those trying to make a buck...I am just trying to pass on some much needed info.
If someone wants to read the message sent to me by the buyer just let me know and I will pass it on...but I will erase the name of the buyer so as not to embarrass him/her.
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

brucifer

Re: Recent scam artist - buyer beware

Post by brucifer » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:43 am

When buying anything from individuals over the Internet, you never know with who you are dealing. That is why using a service such as Paypal is a good idea. Fortunately, the buyer smartly went through Paypal, so his/her purchase was protected. What would have been a tragedy is if the buyer had sent a money order or had wired the money for the S9. Then there would have been no recourse, and their money would have been gone.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:33 am

I miss cpapauction.com.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:22 am

The marketplace is full of Ferengi tonight.
Of course, we all know you can't spot the crooks by how they look.
This is how con artists work. Get their trust. . .

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:39 am

this type of thing is never good for a forum. i firmly believe that sales should be restricted to people that have been members for a certain number of months and have a certain number of posts.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:20 pm

greatunclebill wrote:this type of thing is never good for a forum. i firmly believe that sales should be restricted to people that have been members for a certain number of months and have a certain number of posts.
You are 100% right Bill. I have heard from 2 that tried to buy the machine today, the first one is the one that got stung by this svttipsy seller and the other one backed out before money hit the table as the deal was beginning to smell. The person that got stung has only been a member for a month or so and that is way too bad to hear. A new person is never going to trust the rest of us again, so sad.
On another note...happy to hear you are home and on the mend, even if the weather is not so nice Keep the faith my friend.
Cheers
Nan

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Wow, I am sorry the member had to go through this. We do have two members of the forum who are wonderful STL Mark who I purchased S9 autoset from and Grandpap who is another well known seller here.

I would also advise members follow your gut instincts as well as talk to other members.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:44 pm

greatunclebill wrote: i firmly believe that sales should be restricted to people that have been members for a certain number of months and have a certain number of posts.
I firmly agree with what unclebill just said. One rotten apple can spoil the whole bushel.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:53 pm

squid13 wrote:
greatunclebill wrote: i firmly believe that sales should be restricted to people that have been members for a certain number of months and have a certain number of posts.
I firmly agree with what unclebill just said. One rotten apple can spoil the whole bushel.
That's a good idea. It could be easily enforced by members too.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:59 pm

I agree also - starting with the unknown who just posted wanting to sell a machine.....

xena

rimp

Post by rimp » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up Some people are just unscrupulous I'm looking for an auto bipap but will wait til stl or grandpap have one.

sleepio

Post by sleepio » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:28 pm

Um, I thought I was the one who bought his machine ?!?? I guess you can add me to the list of suckers. No wonder the alleged tracking number doesn't show any shipping progress.

You're talking about this thread, right?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81356&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

FANTASTIC.

Do I contact paypal now, or do I have to wait some amount of time.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 pm

believe it or not, like it or not, with a few keystrokes this can be known as a place where people get ripped off and people won't even come. it could also adversely affect the integrity of cpap.com as the sponsor. and when that happens, the only recourse is to close the forum if it is more of a liability than asset. don't believe it? that's your right, but don't forget to never say never.

it would be just too easy to write in the rules that you can not offer anything for sale or exchange if you don't have 500 posts. first offense, delete post. second offense, delete user.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Make out a police report; laws have been broken.
If it's in another state, it's a federal rap.
It's not like we're allowed to hunt the rat down and . . .
(I would pay for scam protection that guaranteed breaking kneecaps.)

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:43 pm

sleepio wrote:Um, I thought I was the one who bought his machine ?!?? I guess you can add me to the list of suckers. No wonder the alleged tracking number doesn't show any shipping progress.

You're talking about this thread, right?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81356&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

FANTASTIC.

Do I contact paypal now, or do I have to wait some amount of time.
Sleepio..check your pm's I have sent you the info for paypal. You need to get your info together and get in touch with them NOW. If you include the info from the other buyer to paypal, they will aready have started a file....according to svttipys bio he is from Brandon, South Dakota..but who knows he could be from Timbucktoo, that may have been a lie too. His legitimate email address is on the pm I sent you, the police could track him by that.
As Chunkyfrog said call the police and get a file started there too...we need to nail this sicko and nail him good. Teach him to mess with a bunch of sleep deprived forum members
Good luck to you, I feel really bad that you got scammed by this rat.
Nan