Leaks continue to be an issue. Suggestions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Chuck Connors

Leaks continue to be an issue. Suggestions?

Post by Chuck Connors » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:08 am

Leaks continue to be an issue for me, with recent readings of 41 / 24 / 52 / 8 / 37 / 42 / 17 / 16 / 30 / 27. The leak rate for my mask should be kept below 24. I'm religious about cleaning the silicone nightly and sometimes washing my face at night as well. I've read on this site that some people will use the same silicone for months, but I believe most insurance companies will pay for one new silicone each month. I'm beginning to think that the silicone is starting to wear out, even though it's squeaky clean each night after I clean it. What has been the experience of the people on this site in terms of the life expectancy of the silicone? Thanks for any information you may have on keeping the leak rate as low as possible. -Chuck-

Xney

Re: Leaks continue to be an issue. Suggestions?

Post by Xney » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:34 am

The mask will wear out after a while, even if it's clean. It just loses its shape. You can actually usually keep the "mask" part for a long time, but often the "cushion" gel or soft plastic parts that seal need to be replaced. It depends on the mask how often that is.

Also, if the mask doesn't fit really well, it will tend to lose its seal a LOT more quickly.

How old is the one you're using?

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:43 am

Is it leaking in the same place all the time, and has it leaked there from the beginning?

I have found that this mask works great when fitted well, but it is a challenge to find the right fit. I was having trouble with mine leaking near the eyes. I was putting it on too high. If I try to overcompensate, then it is too low, and leaks by my chin when I swallow. I have to get it just right, and then it goes for hours, and my leak line in ResScan is zero.

For awhile, I thought my seal was getting old as it got harder to find the right fit. But then I got it right again Some nights, it may take me 10 tries to get the right fit. And other nights, I get it on the first try, and it is perfect.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:29 am

I use the silicone om my Quattro for at least 3 months...sometimes 4. I only clean it with CPAP wipes nightly. I wash it once a month. I believe that cleaning it too often weakens/softens the silicone...(Manufacterers love that).

I think the key is washing your face to get the daily oils off before you put on the mask.
Last edited by LSAT on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

sleeptimeinNY

Post by sleeptimeinNY » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 am

I've had mine for 5 months now and ready for a new one. I don't see that the leaks are any worse at this point. I use a pad-a-cheek liner and couldn't imagine using the mask without it. I wash the mask once a week with Ivory dish detergent and sometimes vinegar.
I really like the mask and have decided to just accept the leaks that go with it. I'm a side sleeper and stomach sleeper so it gets smashed into the pillows alot
But my leaks average around 12 or 13.

Sounds like you need the new cushion.

Good luck,

Ruth

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:34 am

Try a Padacheek liner, they help a lot, or make your own out if an old Tshirt. I've learned to tolerate small leaks and I'm another side sleeper. When I need to, I just push my face into the pillow to seal a leak.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

wilsonintexas

Post by wilsonintexas » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:00 am

another side sleeper with the same mask.

I use the liner, and for the last 3 nights the antileak strap from padacheek.....It took a day or two to find the correct adjustment, but the antileak strap has helped. I have loosened the side straps a little, have good leak rates (spikes below 5 until 5:00 as I toss a lot then it is still below 10). I was able to get them this low before, but had marks in the morning. overall it helps keep the ask from being pushed off my face when I sleep on my side... With the looser straps the seal can move ad do it's job.....

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:10 am

I'll second the padacheek liner. And if you still leak, add another layer of liner cut out of an old t-shirt. Three layers work best for me. Without the silicone touching my face, I can slather on the night moisturizer and my silicone mask will last forever. I've been using the same one for at least two years now. I made a lot of liners to switch out and that is all I have to wash each week.

I wish someone had given me this advice when I first started out, it would have saved me years of frustration with a leaky mask.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Chuck Connors

Post by Chuck Connors » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:37 am

Thank you for the very helpful suggestions.
-my current gel/silicone cushion is around 45 days old
-I don't know if it is leaking in the same place all the time. I try to get the best fit at the beginning of the night and typically fall asleep within a few minutes.
-I like the idea of using CPAP wipes nightly on the cushion and washing it monthly.
-I like the idea of the pad-o-cheek liner and will give that a try.

-Chuck-

Journeyman

Post by Journeyman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 am

I would like to share that liners solved alot of my leaks with my mirage quattro. I still had some leaks that would wake me throughout the night. The fit was fine for a few hours, then what not sure. I could find a good fit, open and close my mouth, swallow, move a little bit and be ok. Some nights good all night. Some nights leaks would start about two to four hours later, wake up and refit or remove the mask. I really pay for removing the mask before four or five hours of sleep. Waking up and refitting really not working either. For me fitting the mask sitting up is not the same as laying on my back. The tension and fit of the straps as well as the cushion fits and feels different laying down. The liners are a must use for me. But, I discovered that the pillow I was using was yet another issue. I was using a firm foam type that has a curve in it that is suppose to support my neck. Well, I realised that my head,neck,chin position was different after waking up then when falling asleep. So many do overs that it finally dawned on me what about the pillow?? I changed to a softer regular type pillow and have slept stright through three nights in a row. BAM! So much to learn and discover.