Long time cpap user having problems!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RedX

Long time cpap user having problems!

Post by RedX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:26 am

I've had sleep apnea for 5 years and I have been having so many problems lately. My mask seems to never stay sealed to my face. I have been sleeping worse that when I didn't use my machine. I have switched to 4 different types of masks and I still have the problem. I make sure the straps aren't too tight or too loose. I wash my mask every night with baby shampoo. I wash my face before bed with a face cleanser for oily skin. I've also tried just water or soap.

My problem is at least half way threw the night my mask starts leaking air and making noise because of it. It wakes me up constantly and makes my sleep horrible. I wake up feeling like crap and I feel very tired all day. I am a side sleeper and considered getting the special pillow, but haven't tried that yet

I've considered calling my doc but what can they really do. I've went to the supply company and tried on 20 masks. Any help???

ChicagoGranny

Re: Long time cpap user having problems!

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:33 am

So it sounds like you were successful with one mask for most of the last five years. Which mask was it?

Have you replaced the mask and headgear recently or are they worn?

Have you carefully reviewed the mask manufacturer's instructions for mask adjustments?

Have you changed sleeping positions?

Have you had a weight change?
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

RedX

Post by RedX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:44 am

All of the masks seem to work for a month then get worse. I've read instructions on how to adjust. No changes in sleep patterns. I have lost 37 lbs in the past 3 months but this has been going on much longer than that. The mask is about 3 months old and can't get replacement until 6 months

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:40 am

Ok -- welcome to the forum. Before we can really offer advice, we are going to need a lot more info. You can begin by filling out your equipment info in the sig line. Upper left of your screen, click on User Control Panel. You'll be able to list your main CPAP machine and main mask. If you have other masks that you like, let us know in the body of a post.

RedX

Post by RedX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:17 am

I updated my machine and mask.

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

How often do you replace your cushion? Do you boil it in-between replacements?

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

RedX

Post by RedX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 am

The mask is only 3 months old. Cant replace until 6 months. What do you mean boil it?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:15 am

Most cushions won't last 6 months and most insurance will allow a replacement cushion monthly.
It is normally the whole mask with headgear that is limited to one per 6 months.
3 months with one cushion...you probably need a new cushion.
They are sold separately from the whole mask setup for situations like this.
The boiling thing has been discussed on the forum in the past. I don't have a link for the thread but someone will chime in and explain it. Boiling seems to give it new life and bring back some of the tackiness needed to maintain a good seal.
Some people are lucky enough to get months and months of use from a single cushion but most people will need a new one at the 2 to 3 months of use time frame.

You need to check with your insurance company to find out their replacement schedule...don't rely on the DME to tell you what your insurance allows.
If you happen to have Medicare...you can get a new one each month and have Medicare cover it. Most insurance companies will follow Medicare replacement guidelines but not all of them will.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RedX

Post by RedX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 am

Called my insurance company and they said there isnt a time period on how long you have to wait to get a replacement. So i called the supplier and they tried bs'ing their way. I told them "I just spoke with my insurance and they said if its something I need for health reasons, there is no time period i have to wait" So they are mailing out a new one today. Hope the new one will help.

Has anyone had any success with the cpap pillows?? My mask seems to hit my pillow (side sleeper) and makes it leak air easier. Ive seen someone talking about this mask so I might try it. http://www.drleonards.com/Health-Produc ... ader-16816

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:59 am

Mask liners??? Have you tried them?

BTW...Replacement: my provider (who is my pulmonologist, aka sleep doctor) says 6 months or "as medically needed" but my insurance says 3 months "as medically needed." I've found it is difficult to get my provider to understand the THREE months as opposed to SIX so I've been purchasing my own replacement pillows until I can figure out what to do about the "provider."

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:19 am

I was going to say too (as Maxie said)- if you haven't tried mask liners, you may want to do that. Search on the forum. You will find that Karen at "Padacheek.com" has some and there are "Remzzz".

Homemade ones from old, clean cotton T shirts work for some people too.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:29 am

During the first year since I started CPAPing (2 1/2 years ago) I tried more then a dozen masks including full face and nasal pillows. Finally I settled on the hardware that you see below, including a chinstrap. Although I am on Medicare, I buy the cushions privately from an Internet provider b/c I hate to see my DME charging Medicare three times the price. So I have about 4 cushions as back ups. Each costs about $30. Overall, I get good treatment with almost zero leaks. This is b/c my cushions have double Silicone flaps. Most masks don't have this advanced technology. I found out that if I clean my cushions NOT with plain tap water with a few drops of liquid soap then they start to disintegrate and then they last only a couple of weeks instead of three months. I wear the mask's straps loose and the Chinstrap under the masks straps, also only semi tightly. I hated those nasal pillows b/c of the vibrations that they caused in my nose effecting the leaks and also b/c I could not sneeze without taking them out. With my present mask I just lift it about a quarter of an inch and sneeze. I don't use any liners.

p.s. what about that moron named Todd Akin over there in Missouri?

Last edited by avi123 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

winkin'

Post by winkin' » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 am

I'm a side sleeper with same problem. The opus is by far the best mask for me though my people won't update until 6 mos. WITH a prescription which I think is b.s.

RedX

Post by RedX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks for all of the replies. One thing I notice is when I wake up my mask is so oily which im sure is why it cant seal properly. But i use a oil removing face wash to get rid of the oils before bed. I never heard of the mask liners and gonna try to make one out of an old tshirt. Pad a cheek doesnt make one for my mask and remzzz i might try out

JO'M

Post by JO'M » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 am

RedX wrote:Thanks for all of the replies. One thing I notice is when I wake up my mask is so oily which im sure is why it cant seal properly. But i use a oil removing face wash to get rid of the oils before bed. I never heard of the mask liners and gonna try to make one out of an old tshirt. Pad a cheek doesnt make one for my mask and remzzz i might try out
You mention in your OP that you wash your face with a cleanser for oliy skin. Do you normally have oily skin or is this because of your mask?

If your skin is not naturally oily by using a cleanser that is designed to remove excess oil, your skin is being signalled to produce more oil over night thereby creating the oily mask in the morning. Sort of a catch 22 situation.

I have sensitive skin that produces oil when stressed (lucky me) What I have been doing is washing my face with my normal cleanser when I get home from work or when I am in for the night. Before bed, I wipe my face with a toner (sensitive skin). Then I wipe my mask cushion with a CPAP wipe before putting it on. If I have issues during the night. I repeat the before bed process. I keep a couple baggies on my bedside table, one with cotton pads saturated with toner and one with a couple of CPAP wipes. That way I don't have to go stumbling to the bathroom.

hth