Whats the best tip you learned from CPAP talk?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
the_nap_ster

Re: Whats the best tip you learned from CPAP talk?

Post by the_nap_ster » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:48 pm

I found this old thread while searching for details on the ladies' tights fix for the Hybrids. Since there are always new screen names popping up -- and new success stories being written! -- I thought I'd take the opportunity to resurrect it. The information that people have already posted is too good to lose.

So let's add some more tips, shall we?

For me, the tips about mask liners and and strap covers were life-altering. I also learned that the ramp feature was hurting, not helping, my therapy. But the tip that helped me out the most was:

For new folk: if you think your mask is adjusted correctly, it is probably too tight.

As a new hose-head, I just could not comprehend how loose these things are meant to be worn, and what I (and my DME, ugh!) thought was "fitting" was really too tight. This led to leaks and strap marks and generally hating my mask. For me, the ideal strap tension ONLY WORKS WHEN I AM LAYING DOWN. It is *literally* too loose to keep the mask on my face under pressure when I am sitting up. And when I try to adjust it sitting up, it will 100% always be too tight laying down. I feel like someone should tell all new hose-heads: make the mask fit to the best of your ability, and then try it a little looser.

How about you? What are your favorite tips?

Last edited by the_nap_ster on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sloop

Post by Sloop » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 pm

LOL -- I'd have to say that in my ignorance (of not participating here on TALK) I had no idea of the existence of SleepyHead sw. It was remarkably easy to upload to my pc and learn how to use. Been using it now for several months and it is kind of interesting although boring in my case because I consistently hit at or below 1 on my AHI. No centrals to speak of and seldom any Obstructives - usually just a few hypotneas. It is nice to know that I average close to nine hours sleep at night (includes an afternoon nap) and have ever since I've had this machine (two years).

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:53 pm

To not accept the M Series Plus machine that the DME was trying to pawn off on me.
To only make one setting change at a time and give each change a week before tweaking.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Liners! Liners! Liners! If one layer doesn't work, try two or three. Not only do they keep the silicone from touching my face, they muffle the leak noises that kept me awake for the first couple of years.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Dreamrobot

Post by Dreamrobot » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:43 pm

What have I not learned!
1. How to understand data graphs and how it relates to my sleep or not
2. the o-rings on the nasal pillows probably is the best tip for me, they lasting me forever (ok maybe a bit short of forever)
3. How to post from photobucket (thanks to Pugsy's instructions and help) yey
4. using some sort of hook to hang the hose so it won't tag on the mask, I use this simple one:
5. I've also modified my swift LT (don't know if somebody else does this), I inverted it completely and cut of those annoying cheek things and stapled the lower straps :
6. I 've switched to using a neck support instead of a chinstrap, works for me
Image (you cannot see the bears eyes 'cause he's sleeping
I guess this translates to another thing I learned: thinking outside the box when it comes to my therapy, be creative to create your own comfort and use the resources (data, forum, etc). I have other issues with my acid reflux but I would not dream (ha) of not using my borg therapy ever, it prevents my brain from being injured from oxygen desats
thanks to all ,
DreamR

You think I look scary? wait till I put my mask on.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:27 pm

the_nap_ster wrote:How about you? What are your favorite tips?
Great thread, great super helpful people!

As far as best tips?

1) Tips to ensure you get a data capable machine
2) Knowing the forum is FULL of helpful people who will continue to offer up their experiences as I continue on this journey!

John

Dormejo

Post by Dormejo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:33 am

I'm only a newbie, however I constantly see others helping and supporting others on some of the same issues, concerns and worries we all have.......this reminds me that it's not a one answer therapy, and I need to keep using the search function to find out info that can help me and maybe one day I might be able to help someone else
Cheers
Sleep Well.....

edm_msu

Post by edm_msu » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:05 am

1. Best thing was to join this forum. Great advice and great help. Thanks everyone!
2. Get an Auto CPAP. I would not have one if it wasn't for this forum.
3. Lansinoh. More comfortable and seals better.
4. Sleepyhead software. Much better than ResScan. Thanks Mark!
5. Nasal pillow fit can be improved by loosening straps. That was key for me.
Ed M.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:59 pm

loosen nasal pillow masks to reduce leaks....

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

Maxie

Post by Maxie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:34 pm

The very best tip I learned was that I had to participate in my own CPAP experience as no one was going to do it for me! Maybe not no one as a lot of people here have provided me with invaluable suggestions and advice and I probably would have not lasted much more than a week or so without this forum.

If you are new and reading this, go back as far as you can and read all of the good advice and never let anyone tell you that you can't do anything involved with CPAP. You have to make it your own mission.

As for specific tips, having access to the Clinical Manual for my CPAP machine was awesome!!! Thank you for empowering me!

OceanGoingGal

Post by OceanGoingGal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:14 am

The best thing that I learned here? Wow that is an easy one. I learned that this forum is filled with some of the most caring and compassionate people on earth. I came in as a "newbie" to the world of OSA and knew nothing. When I had a question to ask many many of you jumped in to help. I read many stories here that made me realize just how serious this illness is. I read offers of equipment for people in need all for free. I saw people reaching out to help one another. When I was feeling whimsical and started the "Love in the forum" thread. I met a lot of people who had a great sense of humor and played along with my game. It was fun. In short this is a great forum with great people. People who are human and have the ability to be there for one another.

Laura

Ask Me About Girl Talk Cafe!