Report on use of new padacheek anti-leak strap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LoQ

Re: Report on use of new padacheek anti-leak strap

Post by LoQ » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:28 am

WestCoastCdnGrl wrote:So, does anyone have any feedback on this item? I am interested in ordering one, but would like to hear from others before I do.
Did you read this thread? There were several glowing reports about the padacheek anti-leak strap. Let me add my praise of this wonderful product. I use a Mirage Quattro full face mask, and the anti-leak strap is the best.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:09 am

It's not in my sig, but I should mention - I use this nightly with my probasics zzz mask. It adds another serious level of security against mask-torque leakage.

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

DebbieDeb

Post by DebbieDeb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:22 pm

I always wanted a way to secure my mask in the middle. I'm ordering this today for use with my ComfortGel FF mask. I suspect I'll be able to loosen the other straps a bit too.

SaturninaDickinsa

backlink service

Post by SaturninaDickinsa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:53 am

Interesting topic. Want to see more on what you guys think about this.

louspeachy

Post by louspeachy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Ordered mine a couple of days ago and waiting with baited breath for it to come!!!!

Louise
"Any day above ground is a good one."

DadscreepyCPAPmask

Post by DadscreepyCPAPmask » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:58 am

I used this strap with my Quattro FX last night and it seemed to help with the leaking I get around the bridge of my nose. I did get some significant strap marks on my face though. Maybe I had this strap on a bit to tight? I am not crazy about having to put this strap over my ears, I guess maybe it just takes getting used to. I will try it again tonight and post back later this week. I am praying this is the answer to my constant leaky Quattro FX problems!

Brandie

ZodJmHfbVd

Post by Brandie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:26 am

That's the best anwser of all time! JMHO

DaveL

Post by DaveL » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Are people still using this strap?

Does it work with nasal masks too?

Thanks,
DaveL
Toronto

Regards,
DaveL Toronto

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Everynight for me too - makes a great difference to leaks and AHI

lullaby

Post by lullaby » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:34 pm

First up, i have quite a few padacheek items and i love them however i just can't get this anti-leak strap to work for me. I don't like having straps covering my ears so i tried to position the strap above my ears. I found that no matter how tight i had the strap, it ended up pulling everything else down (mask straps etc) so that the strap ended up putting pressure on my ears anyway. I can see how it works in theory but for me, it just didn't work.

kbobtn

Post by kbobtn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:05 am

A little more info - I don't know how well or if this strap would work on a nasal mask - it might work just fine.

I found that the position shown on the Pad A Cheek site (over the ears) was not comfortable for me, and above the ears tended to cause the mask to ride up. I have been positioning it below my ears for some weeks with better success. I do find that it still has some leaking on either side of my nose since it tends to make the mask ride a little farther out at the top (I use a Quattro FX mask with no forehead brace). I have tried a few nights with TWO anti-leak straps, one low over the hose inlet and another over the top edge just above the exhaust ports, both going below the ears. This evens out the position of the mask relative to the face and works well (I’m thinking of contacting Karen about fabricating a single strap with both high and low mask contact).

On the comment above about having to over tighten the anti-leak, I find that as with the regular headgear straps, loose is better since the mask can then ride on its air cushion. I set the tension just barely snug before turning on the air. I think the reason the anti-leak strap works is that it keeps the mask from getting TOO far out on the high pressure phase of BiPap. Just my estimation – heck, it may be magic!

rmh996usa

Post by rmh996usa » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 am

I may post this as a new topic to ensure a mask leak solution I worked out for high pressure treatments. My main symptom are Centrals which drove the prescription for an ASV machine with a max pressure setting of 23. I have a Resmed S9 ASV with humidifier, heated hose, data interface with oximeter, the Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask which is the only mask that I found to withstand the high pressures with the solution I found engaged. When the machine takes over my breathing and ramps up pressure, it does not matter what mask I have tried, the mask will blow out and leak. This is turns wakes me up. No Centrals but little REM sleep either. While I love the Resmed products, the help they offer, including the coaching program is a joke, a facade to sell product. Kind of sad. Anyway, in the quest to find a solution, I turned to this forum and ran many searches and asked questions. Everyone is great and the answers drove me to a solution. This post was most informative.

If you are tempted to reply to explain trying the methodology to put the masks on and perform the manufacturer recommended instructions to tighten the mask, please do not as that was tried, over and over, but no solution was achieved. This is because the masks, while stating they can work at high pressure, is simply not true. The soft masks were particularly bad. The only thing that works for me is the hard mask.

Once I put the solution in service and I worked to tweak the configuration, the leakage went from large leakage to ZERO, all night. Key to this are two product sources that have several products. The first company is Pad A Cheek. The products can be found at https://www.cpap.com. Or go to the company home site. The primary key product is the Anti-Leak Strap. The Quattro mask strapping configuration simply does NOT provide the strap pressure at the correct angle to achieve a tight enough pressure to stop leakage. Over a period of time I discovered the best solution was to put the strap on but not angling up as shown in the pictures but more straight back just under the ears. This is primarily because the upward angle would allow the mask to slowly creep up on the face and begin leaking. But this strap location means the strap was too long to fit right.

Karen at Pad A Cheek did a full custom build on the strap in less than a day and I had the custom strap within a couple days. All I did was carefully measure my head and made a drawing showing where the hole should go and then the length of the strap going from the hole out to the ends in both directions. I also got a Universal Neck Micro fleece as the strap pressure begins to hurt on the back of the head after hours of being asleep.

The other major key product is from http://www.cpapseal.com. I got the small full face pad for the Quattro. When I got it, after experimenting night after night, I found turning the side with the ridges AWAY from my face and into the mask was the trick needed. The ridges helps create a secondary seal.

Bottom line configuration is I place the CpapSeal on the Quattro and fit the ridges to just inside the mask cushion. Place the mask on the face and ensure the CpapSeal is exposed, poking out all around the mask. Click in the mask straps. Put on the Anti-Leak Strap and tighten firmly. Attach hose and turn on machine. If it leaks, most likely culprit is the CpaSeal needs to be sticking out from under the mask all the way around. But, to adjust you must loosen the Anti-Leak Strap, un-click the mask straps, lift the mask up about a ¼ inch to disengage the mask from touching the CpapSeal and pull the CpapSeal outward just a little. Then reseat the mask and hook everything back up.

The ResMed diagnostic traces are the same as shown on this post. I am at zero leakage now.

MyIdaho

Post by MyIdaho » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:39 am

rmh996usa wrote:Once I put the solution in service and I worked to tweak the configuration, the leakage went from large leakage to ZERO, all night. Key to this are two product sources that have several products. The first company is Pad A Cheek. The products can be found at https://www.cpap.com. Or go to the company home site. The primary key product is the Anti-Leak Strap. The Quattro mask strapping configuration simply does NOT provide the strap pressure at the correct angle to achieve a tight enough pressure to stop leakage. Over a period of time I discovered the best solution was to put the strap on but not angling up as shown in the pictures but more straight back just under the ears. This is primarily because the upward angle would allow the mask to slowly creep up on the face and begin leaking. But this strap location means the strap was too long to fit right.

I have a similar experience with an excellent leak profile after properly fitting the anti-leak strap. I wear my strap below the ear as well and it allows me to sleep on the side without leaks! I own three straps and am most grateful to Karen for developing them!