Backsleeper: Raising Pressure but Preventing Centrals?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DavidCarolina

Backsleeper: Raising Pressure but Preventing Centrals?

Post by DavidCarolina » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:25 pm

Ive tried just about everything to lock myself down, but unless im literally strapped in on both sides I end up rolling onto my back. To add insult to injury, even when Im using my (self designed) backpack (jammed with various balls) I still wind up with my body on its side but my head pointed toward the ceiling------it makes little difference what position your body is in if your head is still pointed toward the north star.

Question: Im seriously thinking of ramping up to say, a pressure range of 17-20 and seeing what happens. Ive long ago given up on sleep docs really studying individual sleep events--all they want to do is look at your AHI number. Im currently at pressure 14 baseline, and the machine occasionally adjust pressure up to 16 or so several times a night. None of my data has ever shown centrals but the HYPOPNEAS are wreaking havoc. Like a few others here, theyre causing something quite similar to nocturnal panic attacks with increased respiration, exploding heartbeat, and a resulting exhaustion upon awakening. This can leave me beat up for several hours in the morning---or even in the middle of the night waking up in the middle of an event.

Anyone with some advice or experience in this dilemma? At this point I figure, instead of fighting it, going with it. If my body/brain is determined to sleep on my back, then lets blow enough air to prevent the inevitable collapse back there. By the way, I also have an inherited small airway and a thick neck.

BTW, my sleep doc says my AHI numbers are top ten percent of "compliance", but we all know on here that its not the AVERAGES that we're always looking at, but INDIVIDUAL sleep events that can wreak havoc no matter how good the AHI number is in the morning.

*****can someone also post a link on how to cut and paste my sleepyhead nightly result into a post? Thanks. Havnt been able to figure that out yet.

Julie

Re: Backsleeper: Raising Pressure but Preventing Centrals?

Post by Julie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 pm

You can buy large foam wedges specially designed to keep you off your back... google them.

Beckah54

Post by Beckah54 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 pm

DavidCarolina wrote:

*****can someone also post a link on how to cut and paste my sleepyhead nightly result into a post? Thanks. Havnt been able to figure that out yet.

I am going to copy and paste Pugsy's instructions about posting your software reports. She is the resident guru.

Open the image to full size so it is easily read.
I use Vista snipping tool to create a screen shot and crop the image at the same time.
Prt/scr key will also take a screen shot if using XP. If laptop is used sometimes the Fn key has to be pushed at the same time as the prt/scr key
I think windows 7 Home Premium has the snipping tool, Basic may not.
Once the screen shot is created save it in jpg format.
Upload the image to a host site. I use Photobucket it is free, there are others.
Once the image is uploaded then copy the ENTIRE IMG address. Be sure to include the opening and closing IMG in brackets. Paste that copied address into a post here.
If you want to use Photobucket they provide a box with the various url addresses and you just choose the last one in the box.
Copy/paste that l url address into the body of your post.
Use the preview button. If you can't see the image try again because if you can't see it we can't.

If you want to use Photobucket (its free) they provide a box of various links so you can send the image for others to see
The last line in the box is the one you use here....just point mouse over it and copy the link..come to the body of your forum post and right click mouse and choose "paste" the image link code with the opening and closing IMG brackets are already included so no need to do nothing else. Click on the preview button to see if the link is the right one...if it is you will see the image. Then you can go ahead and submit the post.

Beckah

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:30 am

THANKS BECKAH

SockPuppet

Post by SockPuppet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:35 am

Try wearing a soft cervical collar to hold your chin up. It makes a big difference for some CPAPers. You might be able to get good therapy while sleeping on your back and wearing the collar.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/mabis- ... entGroup=1

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 am

Great Idea. I'll get one today.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm a back sleeper and use a contour pillow. It helps keep my chin up and my airway open when I sleep. My AHI is consistently below 1. My pressure is set at 11 cm to 13 cm and I am mostly at 11 cm.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

SockPuppet

Post by SockPuppet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:37 pm

DavidCarolina wrote:Great Idea. I'll get one today.
Results?