Greetings...New Member

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bassett

Greetings...New Member

Post by bassett » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:11 pm

Hello, all. Let me start by saying, "Wow, what a great site." Everyone here is so informative (not to mention friendly). Now on to a few questions from a 5-day user of a Resmed S8 Eilte...

1. My insurance company replaces my mask every 6 months. What is your experience with insurance companies allowing you to keep the "old" one? Or, does the user generally have to turn in/exchange the old one for a new one?

2. Does having a machine like the Resmed Elite S8, which displays quite a bit of data in the clinicians mode, diminish the value of a program like Respironics Encore Pro (I found a free download but get an error message that it can't initialize installation. Darn).

I'm looking forward to your responses. Hopefully, I'll be able to give back to the community as I my CPAP experience grows.

tooly125

Post by tooly125 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:35 pm

You should not have to turn in your old mask this would be a lot more trouble to deal with than is worth to your insurance company.
My doctor suggested that if my insurance covered me for a new mask every six months i should get one every time. This can be helpful in trying out new masks or if you have a mask that your happy with having a few spares is not a bad thing because you never know when your insurance will stop covering masks.My insurance stopped covering them just as i was starting my treatment.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body totally worn out and screaming,WOO HOO what a ride!

DerDrache

Re: Greetings...New Member

Post by DerDrache » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:41 pm

bassett wrote:2. Does having a machine like the Resmed Elite S8, which displays quite a bit of data in the clinicians mode, diminish the value of a program like Respironics Encore Pro (I found a free download but get an error message that it can't initialize installation. Darn).
What is this clinician's mode you speak of and how do you access it?

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Kaiser Soze The Usual Suspects

Moogy

Post by Moogy » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Sorry, EncorePro and MyEncore only work with the Respironics machines. AutoScan is the ResMed version:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... e-312.html

I am not familiar with that software , but maybe you can find prior discussions by doing a search on "AutoScan".

Moogy

Moogy
started bipap therapy 3/8/2006
pre-treatment AHI 102.5;
Now on my third auto bipap machine, pressures 16-20.5

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:26 pm

WOOF, that's Hello in Dog Speak! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

rasputin

Re: Greetings...New Member

Post by rasputin » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:39 pm

DerDrache wrote:What is this clinician's mode you speak of and how do you access it?
It lets you view and change settings that a doctor or DME normally would.

(be careful with it viewtopic.php?t=8359)

DerDrache

Post by DerDrache » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:59 pm

Hmm, that smart start feature sounds pretty sweet. Here's to hoping I don't accidentally crank my machine up to 50 and make my lungs explode.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Kaiser Soze The Usual Suspects

NightHawkeye

Post by NightHawkeye » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:16 pm

DerDrache wrote:Hmm, that smart start feature sounds pretty sweet. Here's to hoping I don't accidentally crank my machine up to 50 and make my lungs explode.
Your lungs aren't gonna explode, DerDrache. That's apparently a myth that's been circulating around for so long that some physicians even believe. I did some searching a while back and came up with nothing other than the rumors. If it's documented anywhere, I'd like to see it. Physicians routinely prescribe APAP's with 4-20 cm pressure range when they can't perform a laboratory titration.

Regards,
Bill

k.c.snorzalot

Post by k.c.snorzalot » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:48 pm

most companies don't want masks returned because of the limitations on how much they can be sterilized.[/quote]

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:59 pm

NightHawkeye wrote:
DerDrache wrote:Hmm, that smart start feature sounds pretty sweet. Here's to hoping I don't accidentally crank my machine up to 50 and make my lungs explode.
Your lungs aren't gonna explode, DerDrache. That's apparently a myth that's been circulating around for so long that some physicians even believe. I did some searching a while back and came up with nothing other than the rumors. If it's documented anywhere, I'd like to see it. Physicians routinely prescribe APAP's with 4-20 cm pressure range when they can't perform a laboratory titration.

Regards,
Bill
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire